What's wrong with our sport as I see it, and how to correct it.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool has no future unless the game attracts young people.

Its starts with pool rooms in my opinion. Pool rooms are closing. The age demographic keeps getting older.

In Los Angeles the game is on life support.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Its starts with pool rooms in my opinion. Pool rooms are closing. The age demographic keeps getting older.

I fail to understand why people judge pool around the world by what it's doing in our backyard. A lot of pool rooms closing are the result of expired businss plans that worked 15-20 years ago, but don't fly today. Pool rooms, if they're going to survive need to update, as new pool rooms opening today for the most part, have already done. But anyone opening a new pool room today, once again thinking that a plan 20 years ago is still going to be viable today, is just mad at their money and has learned nothing from the rooms that have already closed.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fail to understand why people judge pool around the world by what it's doing in our backyard. A lot of pool rooms closing are the result of expired businss plans that worked 15-20 years ago, but don't fly today. Pool rooms, if they're going to survive need to update, as new pool rooms opening today for the most part, have already done. But anyone opening a new pool room today, once again thinking that a plan 20 years ago is still going to be viable today, is just mad at their money and has learned nothing from the rooms that have already closed.

Well that sounds good, but I don't know what kind of secret sauce you are talking about. If every major US city, does not have a couple of hundred thousand square feet of pool hall space, there is no real industry.

I know a Chinese guy I've played pool with on the West side of Los Angeles a few times and I asked him about pool in China and he said even in China rooms are shutting down and the craze is over.

The sport is healthier for sure in Asia, but if current trends continue pool is in trouble in the US.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well that sounds good, but I don't know what kind of secret sauce you are talking about. If every major US city, does not have a couple of hundred thousand square feet of pool hall space, there is no real industry.

I know a Chinese guy I've played pool with on the West side of Los Angeles a few times and I asked him about pool in China and he said even in China rooms are shutting down and the craze is over.

The sport is healthier for sure in Asia, but if current trends continue pool is in trouble in the US.

Maybe, they need his business plan.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Why would this sport attract younger player, that's no different than everyone that teaches pool, produces videos to sell, marketed to improve ones skills....everything in the world is available to attract new and aspiring players.....except a Professional organization to join the ranks of the pros, the PRO DIVISION like EVERY OTHER Professional sport on this planet has, THE PROS....in Golf, Tennis, Football, Basketball, Baseball.....you name it, they all have a TOP TIER which is the driving force behind the desire to train hard and reach that level! But people would rather focuse on the gloom and doom of the future of this sport, rather than do something about it. The YOUTH coming into this game....are the future GAMBLERS, because that's the top TIER for them, because that's how American pool players rate themselves, but gamblers can't win on the world stage, I wonder why!

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why would this sport attract younger player, that's no different than everyone that teaches pool, produces videos to sell, marketed to improve ones skills....everything in the world is available to attract new and aspiring players.....except a Professional organization to join the ranks of the pros, the PRO DIVISION like EVERY OTHER Professional sport on this planet has, THE PROS....in Golf, Tennis, Football, Basketball, Baseball.....you name it, they all have a TOP TIER which is the driving force behind the desire to train hard and reach that level! But people would rather focuse on the gloom and doom of the future of this sport, rather than do something about it. The YOUTH coming into this game....are the future GAMBLERS, because that's the top TIER for them, because that's how American pool players rate themselves, but gamblers can't win on the world stage, I wonder why!
You keep going on and on about the top 128 players, and, it appears that no matter what position a poster takes, you seem to disagree. Pretty consistent over the years.

The only success, as defined by it being healthy, growing, enjoyed by the participants and profitable for the promoters and room operators, in pool today is the fun amateur leagues like APA and the other competing leagues. ( I don't and have never played in a league so don't go there )

If you ask the typical league player who the top pros are you will most likely get "The Black Widow" and maybe "Earl Strickland or Efren Reyes" They just don't know or care who the top players are. They want to go out, have a little fun and maybe get to tell their friends how they played in a pool tournament in Las Vegas.

Like it or not, the league players are who is supporting pool right now! The remaining pool rooms that are half bar/restaurant are surviving based on income form league nights. Go build your perfect Diamond 9' tables and open a perfect room charging tables time only with no F&B or music to disturb the players and see just how long you survive.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro pool is great but the fact is, that 90% of the players in any given room are totally ignorant of who the world class players are.

Stars sell content. That's the way it works. Tiger Woods walks into your pool room and everybody knows who he is.

I've watched over the years as world champions walk into pool halls and except for a small percentage of " players ", no one has any idea who they are.

There is a content war going on in media. If the sport does not generate stars it will perish from this earth.

Why we haven't had a 60 minutes piece on SVB is hard to explain. His story is super compelling.

Without stars you will never get the corporate money. I think there needs to be a linkup between the big card players that play pool and pool events for really big cash.

That is what will save pool. The idea that a dude travels all the way across the world to win 40k is not exciting.

We need million dollar matches right here in America. That is what will save pool. It's all about the money.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You keep going on and on about the top 128 players, and, it appears that no matter what position a poster takes, you seem to disagree. Pretty consistent over the years.

The only success, as defined by it being healthy, growing, enjoyed by the participants and profitable for the promoters and room operators, in pool today is the fun amateur leagues like APA and the other competing leagues. ( I don't and have never played in a league so don't go there )

If you ask the typical league player who the top pros are you will most likely get "The Black Widow" and maybe "Earl Strickland or Efren Reyes" They just don't know or care who the top players are. They want to go out, have a little fun and maybe get to tell their friends how they played in a pool tournament in Las Vegas.

Like it or not, the league players are who is supporting pool right now! The remaining pool rooms that are half bar/restaurant are surviving based on income form league nights. Go build your perfect Diamond 9' tables and open a perfect room charging tables time only with no F&B or music to disturb the players and see just how long you survive.

I guess you missed the part about an event center with viewership available around the world so spectators can watch their favorite player(s) compete live, in real time. Out of 128 players, their may only be 2 or 3 American players competing on the world stage. The lounge will have it's own bar tables and league players.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
As Nike would say, Just Do It.
Why argue with a hundred people?
Just do it.

Last edited: