I've been bitten by the "Bug"

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been bitten by the bug and I am totally infected.

I wanted to tell my very short story of my “Life In the world of Pool” I just turned 42 years old and have been playing the game for less than a year. Oh of course ive picked up a house stick here and there during my lifetime, but never even remotely any kind of regularity at all.
I have a very good friend who is a natural at just about everything he tries. Play’s golf, Dart league, Pool league, and Poker just to name a few and is better than average at all. We all congregate regularly at a hole in the wall watering hole “where everybody knows your name” that has a couple of tables and he plays his dart and pool leagues out of. As is the norm in APA, he sensed last summer that his APA team may have to blow up due to being too top heavy so he began asking me (and my girlfriend) if we had any interest in joining a new team and the bar owner were forming. He gave me my first cue, probably a cheap 21oz wallmart cue (I still use to break with), and we began meeting up once a week or so to play. My friend is a SL6.
Jumping forward a bit the end of the 2nd APA session was coming and the forming of the team for the 3rd and final session of 2011 was rapidly approaching. The regular practice seemed to be paying off a little and they seemed to be happy to have a decent lower rated player on the team. I pick up my first store bought cues for my girlfriend and I. Two McDermott Lucky’s for 50 or 60 bucks and a 2X2 case for me and my walmart breaking cue…..So……
The season starts. I have a good bit of confidence going in and am very eager to play every week. I started out ok with a couple of wins in the first month or so. Then the loosing began….I lost, and lost, and lost, and lost……. Of course this drops me from the entry level SL4 to a SL3……Frustration set in for sure. I’m a pretty competitive guy and hated to loose. About this time I am really bitten by the bug big time. I picked up a new cue, a McDermott MWE with an I shaft second hand. I am convinced I have to win. I am so many years behind all of these other players who have been playing for 10-20 or more years. I must get my hands on anything I can find to learn more about the game and equipment to try and speed up the learning process. I find and sign up for the AZ forum. . I buy a second hand Pool table. I get a handful of DVD’s. Most second hand. I’m watching countless YouTubes and reading AZ threads all day, and playing at home almost daily. I buy a Jerry Olivier with a Pred 314>2 off AZ. Buy a new 4X8 Sterling Wave case. I take a full day private lesson from Randy G during the Christmas break, highly recommended from some good people I met here on AZ. I buy the VEPP’s 5 DVD set, and have a package of odd’s and ends coming in from various billiard web sites coming in almost weekly.
I wrap up the last couple of weeks of the APA session with a couple of wins, at least one against a SL5, finishing with a dismal 5 and 11 session @ 31% and a SL3….
I’m thrilled to find out that the down time between the end of the session and the first session of 2012 is merely a couple of weeks. At this point I literally am spending at least some time at the table 5-7 days a week I am completely bitten by the “Cue Bug” and buy a Predator Sport S with 314>2, (still mainly shooting with the Jerry Olivier) and have a J/B and a pure Sneaky on my want list now I am shopping for. We are 5 weeks into this session and I am 4-0 still at a SL3 (although the results from the 4th win wont be posted till Sunday. may move up????). Last week I had my first Rackless against a SL4. This druken guy proceeds to educate me all night on how I need to watch my innings and start missing shots intentionally or I’m gonna go up. (I’ve learned this is the kind of person who gives APA a bad name. The “Sandbagger”)
Tonight I have another SL6 coming over to my house to play. I have been playing a BCA open tournament at our local bar Sunday nights that usually will only have 7-15 entrants. Placed 3 this past Sunday out of 7. Mainly just for the experience and to get used to competition and to play as many different people as I can find to play. I still get very nervous during APA matches for some reason. Something I’m still working on……
So as you can see, I am completely eaten up with "the bug" here in my fist year. It’s all I think about. I think I’ve come a LONG way in whats just been about 8 months. I wake up thinking about pool. I go to bed thinking about pool. I dream about pool. I cant wait to get home from work every day to get to the table for a few 8 ball games against myself.
I read about pool on AZ every day. I watched the episode of SHARKS on Youtube on the way to work this morning in the truck. I cant get enough!!!! What am I to do!!!!!!!!!!
If you made it this far thanks for reading and thanks for all your post here on AZ.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the club. You've definitely come to the right place.

I've been bitten by this bug several times. The last bite was the worst and I think it led to an infection that I will have to live with for the rest of my life.

Enjoy the ride and keep us posted on your progress.

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Hehe

Take it easy man. You are not a freak or obsessive person. It's the excitement of the first year. You'll train yourself more more and more until you'll reach a certain level of knowledge. Don't worry it won't kill you. You're lucky that you have your gf involved. Relationships can be destroyed by pool or reverse.
GL to you with your new task. Make it happen! Who knows maybe you are the new world beater...you'll never know.

Chris

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the jungle! It is good to have a passion; not necessarily an obsession! Although the line is very blurred on occasion! :thumbup:

As far as the inning thing in APA; I say you play your best; NEVER lay down; let your ranking be your ranking; be your best! Screw the sand bagger stuff! This is not about money to be earned in league play - it's about having a good time and shooting your best. If your captain has a problem with that, find another team.

You want money? Then match up with folks and gamble a bit if you so desire. At the end of the day, you and me still have to work for a living, right?

Enjoy the game for life man! :)

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Got bit, huh?

Just rub some dirt in it, and press on, sir!!!

Enjoy. It's a good time. ;)

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the inning thing in APA; I say you play your best; NEVER lay down; let your ranking be your ranking; be your best! Screw the sand bagger stuff! This is not about money to be earned in league play - it's about having a good time and shooting your best. If your captain has a problem with that, find another team.

You want money? Then match up with folks and gamble a bit if you so desire. At the end of the day, you and me still have to work for a living, right?

Oh no, Captain of my team, who happens to be the bar owner (she) would be completely against any sandbagging. Hell I'm too worried about winning a game to intentionally miss ANY shot. Hell NO. I'm trying to Sink all my balls as quickly as I can before the other guy. That's all I know to do.

I cant wait till I'm confident enough to play for weight. Some drunk guy actually came up and wanted to play for $10 the other night and I accepted, but i wanted a neutral party to hold the cash because we didnt know him and in the end he was just too drunk so i told him just forget it. But Someday soon i hope. I also would like to make the jump to BCA too, but again, I've got some more growing to do before I can compete over there.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story, thanks for sharing!

(sounds like myself)

One thought, don’t get discouraged if you hit a learning "plateau", everyone has them, they don’t last forever.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to this wonderful game of ours!

That bug has bitten all of us, and leaves us with no true answer on how to cure it. Instead of putting a band aid over that bite, we use buying cues, videos, cases and other equipment trying to cure it, but it only gets worse.

Pool is the only disease that I'm glad I ever got!!

Welcome to the jungle! It is good to have a passion; not necessarily an obsession! Although the line is very blurred on occasion! :thumbup:

Great post Robman!! Play your best and be honorable! Maybe then we can start to shed the "scum bag" label that people have placed upon pool players.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh no, Captain of my team, who happens to be the bar owner (she) would be completely against any sandbagging. Hell I'm too worried about winning a game to intentionally miss ANY shot. Hell NO. I'm trying to Sink all my balls as quickly as I can before the other guy. That's all I know to do.

I cant wait till I'm confident enough to play for weight. Some drunk guy actually came up and wanted to play for $10 the other night and I accepted, but i wanted a neutral party to hold the cash because we didnt know him and in the end he was just too drunk so i told him just forget it. But Someday soon i hope. I also would like to make the jump to BCA too, but again, I've got some more growing to do before I can compete over there.

i enjoyed reading everything you have posted in this thread ...until i read your last sentence here.

contrary to what many say on here the bca is not made up entirely of world beaters. you will face players of all levels in bca just like you do now in apa.

the main difference is in bca you will play all 5 players once that the other team puts up where as in apa you will match up with one player .

in bca you dont have to be the 1st player in each game to sink the 8 ball in order to help your team win that night. you could lose every game you play and still help your team win by making the required points they need to win.

so dont cut yourself short by thinking you are not good enough for any league, they need lower level players also to stay at the 25 limit. thats only 2 points more than apa allows, only 2 points that so many people make such a big deal out of.

i am sure you could have just as much fun playing in the bcapl as you do now in apa, they main thing is just to enjoy shooting pool no matter what league you are in.

welcome to the family, addicting aint it ?

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bite is deep and sweet

I know what you're talking about. The pool bug bit me early and has stuck with me more than sixty years. I put twenty of those years into hustling the road. When I began playing, at sixteen, I told my buddy who hung at the pool room every day, as did I,that I thought about pool all the time. He said "You? Last night my sister was sitting in the middle of the floor while we were watching TV. I was trying to figure the angle I would have to hit her to bank her into the TV.
Now that's the tooth of the pool bug. Enjoy it while you can. The only remedy is a perturbed spouse.
Keep it nice. Alfie

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night my sister was sitting in the middle of the floor while we were watching TV. I was trying to figure the angle I would have to hit her to bank her into the TV.
Keep it nice. Alfie

Now this is FUNNY! I can totally relate. Laughed out loud when I read this. Thanks!!!!!