Basic Aiming Methods Illustrated

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In this thread I'll post illustrations of the most common and "geometrically accurate" basic aiming methods for those who may not know them. These methods are simple in concept, but not necessarily easy to use for everybody. I believe they're worth knowing by everybody because of the clear way they illustrate basic aiming principles.

I don't advocate any of these methods over any others, although I recommend them all for educational value. Feel free to take the drawings for your own use.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Double-The-Distance Aiming

DOUBLE-THE-DISTANCE AIMING
DblDistance.jpg
pj
chgo

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where can I get a CB with a blue spot like that?

Dave:

Just use Kamui chalk, and any cue ball. The more you use the Kamui chalk, the more "pretty blue spots" you can have on your cue ball -- to the point that you'll have a chromatically different version of a measles ball (i.e. blue spots instead of red).

:p
-Sean

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
I think this may be one of the worst aiming mehtods out there.
Yikes..Sounds and looks easy on paper though.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi PJ,

I think you'll like my aiming system if this is how you're aiming now. With my system, I think I could shave off a few years off your learning curve. I'm still working on my video and workbook for this system...hoping it will be ready sometime in the summer.

Regards,
Duc.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If everyone could just see the dead center of the OB, or the contact point , SEE exactly how far apart they are, then precisely double that distance, and hit it,,,,,,,then this is a perfect method. Problem is,,,alot of us can't "precisely" see the center of the OB, or "precisely" see the contact point, therefore whatever amount we are off looking for them is then "doubled the distance" when we miss. I don't believe there is A WAY for everyone to aim precisely,,,,,,but whatever way they find that works I think is great.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hi PJ,

I think you'll like my aiming system if this is how you're aiming now. With my system, I think I could shave off a few years off your learning curve. I'm still working on my video and workbook for this system...hoping it will be ready sometime in the summer.

Regards,
Duc.
I don't use any system myself, and I'm not endorsing any system or method here. I'm just showing visually how a couple of the most basic methods work because they get mentioned a lot with only verbal descriptions.

I'm choosing methods first, like Double-the-Distance, that illustrate basic aiming geometry.

I'll post a diagram of parallel aiming next.

pj
chgo

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi PJ,

Even guessing at the contact point and shooting at the object ball is in itself a system/process/method because ultimately you subconscious mind is building references based on your practice. It'll take you brain a little longer to eventually figure out where you should be aiming at the object ball based on your repetitive results and eventually you'll learn how your playing cue re-act when you spin the ball, etc. However, this process can takes years to learn and players that have been playing for 30 years may not still get it. Also, if you're the kind of players that plays on and off, you'll find that if you don't play for a year....you'll have to start all over with the basic especially when you get older. With a system, it like riding a bike, the references are more reliable and easier to bring back...so it will get you back into stroke a lot faster than traditional trail and error methods.

The goal of most aiming systems out there is to address issues identified in the process of aiming and it provide a recommended solution that can help you brain learn at a much faster rate. Eg. Guessing vs a dynamic aiming points vs process to get the exact aiming points. Ultimately, we're trying to find our line of aim first. Once you subconscious trust your line of aim (via system or trial or error) then you will be able to advance to the next level of trusting your stroke.

It's take your brain a lot longer to query the answer when you have to guess at an invisible point of contact or even a contact point on the object ball since there too many variables that it has to compute. The goal here to make the visual more focus and more reliable to the brain so that it will be able to build more reliable references for you thus enabling you to learn faster and at the same time allow you to build a stronger foundation for your fundamentals.

Point is, all these systems works...just a question of how much faster do you want to learn the game or improve?

Anyway, I'm always interested in learning something new so will you be posting all systems mentioned thus far on AZ via your illustration? What did you use to build the illustrations? They look really good.

Regards,
Duc.

I don't use any system myself, and I'm not endorsing any system or method here. I'm just showing visually how a couple of the most basic methods work because they get mentioned a lot with only verbal descriptions.

I'm choosing methods first, like Double-the-Distance, that illustrate basic aiming geometry.

I'll post a diagram of parallel aiming next.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Renegade_56:
I don't believe there is A WAY for everyone to aim precisely.
This isn't about one way vs. another. It's just some illustrations for reference.

Cuemaster98:
Point is, all these systems works...just a question of how much faster do you want to learn the game or improve?
Different players learn best from different methods. But this isn't about what's better or worse for anybody - it's just some illustrations for reference.

pj
chgo

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parallel lines. I thought parallel lines was something different than what you show. The OB contact point to CB contact point line. There is a line parallel that the cue stick points at and the center of the CB rolls on. Maybe call it the cue stick aim line ? Anyway, I visualize that line and stroke my cue stick down that line.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Parallel lines. I thought parallel lines was something different than what you show. The OB contact point to CB contact point line. There is a line parallel that the cue stick points at and the center of the CB rolls on. Maybe call it the cue stick aim line ? Anyway, I visualize that line and stroke my cue stick down that line.
This is exactly why I'm posting these - because words can communicate different things.

I believe my drawing shows what is most commonly meant by Parallel Lines aiming. Your definition isn't really an aiming method - however you visualize the CP-to-CP line is your aiming method.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A Simple Memory Aid

I aim purely by feel which I learn by repetition and memory. One way I try to improve the memorization process is by taking a visual "measurement" of each cut angle as I aim and shoot it by feel.

The "measurement" is nothing more than a mental note of the eyeballed distance from the OB contact point (or OB center if you prefer) to where the CB's center is aimed (the aim point). I don't try to quantify it, just think "OK, this angle = that far".

The measurement is similar to the Double-the-Distance measurement, except I don't consciously use it to aim; just notice it to help my memory catalog the shot effectively. I think the more "context" I add to my picture of each shot, the better my memorization/recall works.

pj
chgo

pat'sway.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ghost ball aiming will oftentimes throw the object ball into the rail. You need to hit the object ball a little bit thinner to compensate for CIT.
If you need to hit a little bit thinner, then picture the ghost ball in the little-bit-thinner position.

Ghost Ball = wherever the CB needs to be to make the shot. Duh. :)

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to CIT your diagram illustrating Ghost Ball aiming is grossly misleading. Duh. :rolleyes:

DUH, you've got to be kidding. There was no misleading intended. PJ is just trying to help with outdated methods. The world is changing, get with the program.