CTE/Pro One ~ The Final Chapter - First Impression

Redneck Jim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first impression of CTE/Pro One - The Final Chapter is very positive.
I'm saying this as someone familiar with Stan's first dvd, so I can't speak for someone totally new to CTE/Pro One.

The DVDs are of excellent quality, and well produced. I played them through a projection TV onto a 7 foot screen, and was impressed.

The tweaking and polishing of concepts from the first dvd are evident and a testament to Stan and his effort to teach a concept that is difficult to put into words.

As someone who studied and practiced from the first dvd, I find that it clears up quite a few things that I was having trouble with. The main problem I was having was with understanding and applying the visual sweep. I could sometimes get it to work, but not all the time. I experimented with a few things on my own, but didn't want to develop any bad habits, so pretty much put things on hold, waiting for the new dvd.

The wait seems to be worth it. As a result of this DVD set, I'm understanding the mechanics of the "sweep" or "rotation" better now and have actually been able to apply it to my shots. I'm doing better, and with more study and practice, expect to do it with more consistency. That was all I was hoping for, but was pleasantly surprised to find more. The information about banking, combinations, and caroms was something I didn't expect. This was an extra bonus that I appreciate.

The only improvement I can think of is to have the study guides in pdf format so they could be printed out. I can (and will) do it myself, but it would sure be easier if they were already available.

All in all, I believe this DVD set will be a classic.

Thanks Stan, for taking an obscure subject and refining and explaining it in a way that a majority of players should be able to understand.

I hope Hal Houle has a smile on his face (you did send him a copy didn't you?).

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I concur. The work and effort Stan put on this one to make it clear is impressive. The props alone that he created had to have been a lot of work to design and make/have made. The graphics and diagrams are easy to understand, the speaking cadence is slow enough to follow and Stan repeats the point often.

I am still going through it and will make a thorough review later. So far I am very very impressed. This coupled with all the free videos Stan has released on YouTube should be enough for anyone to immerse themselves into CTE aiming without any problems.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review. I liked the first Dvd also but have switched to TOI but must say its not that all different. I still bank better with CTE so use it on the banks most of the time. I will buy the dvd because I know his stuff is first class and give it a look. My buddy went to his place and took two days lessons with him and couldn't say enough positive things about him and his son.

tfw314

Tommy
Silver Member
When is the second DVD hitting the streets I have the first one and cant be more pleased.....

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is the second DVD hitting the streets I have the first one and cant be more pleased.....

You should read post number one above again. Carefully! The review IS about the second DVD which is NOW on the streets!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
My first impression of CTE/Pro One - The Final Chapter is very positive.
I'm saying this as someone familiar with Stan's first dvd, so I can't speak for someone totally new to CTE/Pro One.

The DVDs are of excellent quality, and well produced. I played them through a projection TV onto a 7 foot screen, and was impressed.

The tweaking and polishing of concepts from the first dvd are evident and a testament to Stan and his effort to teach a concept that is difficult to put into words.

As someone who studied and practiced from the first dvd, I find that it clears up quite a few things that I was having trouble with. The main problem I was having was with understanding and applying the visual sweep. I could sometimes get it to work, but not all the time. I experimented with a few things on my own, but didn't want to develop any bad habits, so pretty much put things on hold, waiting for the new dvd.

The wait seems to be worth it. As a result of this DVD set, I'm understanding the mechanics of the "sweep" or "rotation" better now and have actually been able to apply it to my shots. I'm doing better, and with more study and practice, expect to do it with more consistency. That was all I was hoping for, but was pleasantly surprised to find more. The information about banking, combinations, and caroms was something I didn't expect. This was an extra bonus that I appreciate.

The only improvement I can think of is to have the study guides in pdf format so they could be printed out. I can (and will) do it myself, but it would sure be easier if they were already available.

All in all, I believe this DVD set will be a classic.

Thanks Stan, for taking an obscure subject and refining and explaining it in a way that a majority of players should be able to understand.

I hope Hal Houle has a smile on his face (you did send him a copy didn't you?).

Redneck,
I am in the process of watching the new DVD by Stan Shufett on CTE/Pro1 myself. I notice A LOT MORE CLARIFICATION on some of the things that people have asked about in the past.

The visual props and perspectives are quite nice in the video. I'm looking forward to going through both of the DVDs over the holiday season.

JoeyA

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, I find it amusing that reviews of my new DVD can not appear in the MAIN FORUM.
Stan Shuffett

I would not think anything of it. They want it to be where it is relevant. On the main forum it will be seen by some but in no time will be 10 pages away never to be seen again. I really prefer threads like this one to be in the proper sub category where it can be found. If you are like me I may not sign on for several days and I miss a lot on the main forum. A thread like this one that is pretty much information and not discussion will not get many responses that bump it up. It would be lost quickly in the main forum.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not think anything of it. They want it to be where it is relevant. On the main forum it will be seen by some but in no time will be 10 pages away never to be seen again. I really prefer threads like this one to be in the proper sub category where it can be found. If you are like me I may not sign on for several days and I miss a lot on the main forum. A thread like this one that is pretty much information and not discussion will not get many responses that bump it up. It would be lost quickly in the main forum.

Good points!
However, I do not agree with the move for other reasons that I will not go into at this time.
Stan Shuffett

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Good points!
However, I do not agree with the move for other reasons that I will not go into at this time.
Stan Shuffett

All this talk about wanting to change the game or that the game is dying and here we have something so revolutionary that almost anyone with an ounce of intelligence is gonna be able to see the game thru a professionals POV.

I guess this whole aiming forum was created bc they want all system users to be segregated. Maybe to keep the bickering down or maybe to keep the uninformed... Well basically uninformed so that they will continue to pay for useless information, products, etc.

Stan, if you build it... They will come. And if they don't then... Good for me!! Jk

It's the proverbial "You can lead a horse to the water but he'll still argue that a 15 degree perception with an inside pivot is a 14 degree shot." ;)

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished watching it all the way through for the first time. Stan's original DVD was very good but I think even he would admit you had to watch it many times and work very hard to understand it fully and fill in the gaps. To be blunt, I'm fairly sure most beginning players would have found it very difficult to impossible to become proficient with the original DVD without any outside help at all. Stan fixed that with The Final Chapter DVD. He filled in the gaps superbly. Not only that, in most cases, he covered it several times and in slightly different ways to help with the understanding. By no means am I saying that it will now be simple, it will still take lots and lots of table time. But the thorough explanation of the system, inside and out, is there.

On top of all that, there are tons of extras. Stan covers banking like never before. Two words IMHO. Efficient and Effective.

There's even added bonuses on some tips from Landon and Stevie. Landon absolutely rocketed some table length cut shots into center pocket with the curtain up in the center of the table hiding the pocket. What a beautiful stroke that young man has, no wonder he kicked Earl's butt. Stevie demonstrated some nifty kicking systems. The production, the videos, the diagrams, everything is just exceptionally well done.

Congratulations Stan for a great contribution to pool! Thank you.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am now fully confident that I have mastered the sweeps, and so I was a little hesitant about buying the 2nd DVD. But after reading these reviews I decided to purchase it today. Looking forward to watching as soon as it delivers.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish my friend "Primo" was here to discuss on dvd2. Oh, I forgot. He was already a "master" of the system. I can't believe how some guys in this forum were listening to this troll and said that he was helping with pro one practice. Anyway. Merry christmas Primo !!!!!!!!!! Lllllllloooooooolllllllllllllllooooollllllllllllllllll

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I've been a CTE player for about 8 or so years...maybe 9. Stan met Hal the day before I first met Hal. Even after all this time, I learned quite a bit from this DVD set.

This is a complete CTE course from beginning to end. Super detailed.

Over the years, I evolved into a single pivot: always left to right. This video is going to have me reconfigure the way I incorporate the system by bringing the right to left pivot back into the mix. Stan definitely proved the need for both.

Stan is a tremendous teacher...well done!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished going through both DVDs and the material was presented in a professional and clear manner. The information on how the table geometry connects with CTE visuals was great - I like thinking of the visuals as 15-30-45-60 perceptions.

The demonstration of the progressive cuts will help players identify visuals and sweeps which is the essence of CTE.

The various shot solutions presented in DVD 2 will aid everyone along their CTE journey. It certainly cleared up some questions that I had.

Next step - to hit all of those shots on my table today :)

Thanks to Stan, Landon, Stevie and the entire Shuffett family for providing Stan with the support to create this work.

Gerry

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished going through both DVDs and the material was presented in a professional and clear manner. The information on how the table geometry connects with CTE visuals was great - I like thinking of the visuals as 15-30-45-60 perceptions.

The demonstration of the progressive cuts will help players identify visuals and sweeps which is the essence of CTE.

The various shot solutions presented in DVD 2 will aid everyone along their CTE journey. It certainly cleared up some questions that I had.

Next step - to hit all of those shots on my table today :)

Thanks to Stan, Landon, Stevie and the entire Shuffett family for providing Stan with the support to create this work.

Gerry

Thanks, Gerry! I appreciate your comments.

Yes, I agree, I really like thinking of the perceptions as 15 30 45 60. I believe that every one that uses CTE PRO ONE will prefer that as well. But the foundation to learning the perceptions start out as A B C CTE 1/8 7/8......simply part of the learning process.

Stan Shuffett