Who are the people that claim pool is on the down hill slide?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Or that pool is broken? I mean, what's your market indicators to support those claims? Is Simonis selling less cloth and balls to the market today vs a year ago? Are cue makers going broke because less customers are buying cues today? Is the APA, TAP, CSI, and other pool leagues losing customers? Are more bars and pool rooms going out of business this year vs last year?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Some folks tend to judge pool's health based on what Pro's earn in tourneys and their lack of making a living. As far as the amateur's go, leagues are alive and well ;) And that is who spends 99% of the money in and around the pool world.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just not happy unless you're butting heads with someone? I personally think recreational/fun pool is probably doing ok but pro-pool is on life-support. BarryH. and Matchroom may be its last real shot. Everything else,so far, is just dreaming.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think bar table/league pool is doing fine but the pro side has been declining for a while now although not as bad as many say.

I think people are rightfully upset about the number of pool rooms/halls closing down across the country. Fortunately there are 3 rooms with many 9 footers within 10 miles of where I live- but LA is obviously a huge metropolis. Many other areas aren’t so fortunate

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to go into the rooms and spend serious time to see the effects. Times have changed. Without alcohol sales you will he left with bars with bar tables.

The bar box game is what keeps it alive. Look at Hard Times Bellflower. Icon. Hanging on by the teeth. They don’t want to recover the tables because they may not be there long. That is a player hall. Some of the best players in the country if not the world frequent that place. If you can’t find a game there then you don’t play pool. It won’t be with us long and it is without a doubt the best setup on the planet. So yes....it has changed. You need a different attitude to keep a pool hall open these days. Don’t bet he buggy whip. Progress or go out of business. It’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool in the Los Angeles area is on life support. Retail rent escalation has led to pool rooms failing to pencil. Rents on apartments for the denizens of LA have skyrocketed.

On the West side pool is no longer a " working class " game.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You just not happy unless you're butting heads with someone? I personally think recreational/fun pool is probably doing ok but pro-pool is on life-support. BarryH. and Matchroom may be its last real shot. Everything else,so far, is just dreaming.

I'm making my point well known.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I (a European poolplayer and previously a huge fan of watching pool, not so much lately) think pool is on the downhill slide, because:

1. Pro pool tournament payouts are ridiculously low. For instance, the Eurotour is basically a scam, where players are forced to stay in overpriced hotelrooms, and the federation pockets the large price difference between the actual cost and the cost to the player, and the added money is a joke. Everyone below 3rd is at best breaking even, more likely losing money. Participation is, in spite of this, quite good. There is reason to fear that the quality is not as good as it could have been, as participation is pretty much open to all that have cash, and many chose to stay home on account of the above facts.

2. The world Pool championship is held in an antisemitic, misogynistic shithole, where nobody cares about pool. Nobody watches or has any interest. There is zero coverage by any Western media. Read up on how they treat Israeli or female athletes...

3. Recruitment to pool is very low in most countries. Check the ratio of young, vs. old players. Some countries have better numbers than others. They are typically poor, especially in Europe.

4. The social media profiles and even general online profile of MAJOR events in pool are non existant or laughably bad, relying on word of mouth and pool room news. The Eurotour page looks like it was designed in 1998, for instance. The less said about Blackball, the better. They're even worse, if you can believe that.

5. Coverage...Yes, every tournament has a stream, usually one static camera. At best with zero commentary, but more usually with clueless idiots rambling on. Look at old Accu-stats tapes in comparison, even newer accu-stats can't hold up.

6. Yes people are buying more equipment. Lots of people have high end cues and tables these days. Usually used as a rack for laundry in the basement or simply collecting dust. Most people with high end cues use them for "league" or similar and couldn't run 3 balls to save their lives. I guess for people who are furniture assemblers or cue pushers, how the equipment is (not) used, does not matter much.

7. Pool rooms are no longer profitable and continually move around from one condemnable building to another. The ones that do hang on, do so on account of providing other services (bar/restaurant) and not for pool, which is basically a waste of space. So they convert to barbox, to get more people in and being able to expand the other part of the business. "Look, that poolroom is doing great!" No, that bar is doing great and the pool part of it is dragging the rest down. In Europe there are usually club-driven pool rooms that are more or less non-profit, and rely heavily on volunteer work. That sort of thing is heavily unstable and succeptible to go under at any time.

8 In Europe, most of the (male) population will have at one time watched snooker. Many of them can name a few snooker players a reasonable section will know who won the latest championship. Nobody knows who won the last European championship in any pool discipline. (I don't either, apart from the ones I personally know). I can't even remember who won the last WPC..I don't even care. Why should I, when nobody else does? Are people in your pool room looking forward to the WPC? Are they discussing the relative strength of the players etc weeks in advance? Not in my room. People will occationally watch it if the stream is on, but most would rather practise. Couldn't watch the last one, and even if I could the previous years it had verbal diarrhea Arab commentary. I could mute it, but I don't really feel anything watching it. No excitement of any kind. I'd rather watch the Mosconi cup, at least the production has some value and people actually care about it. It's not even a "proper event", more like a gameshow than anything else. People actually talk about it, believe it or not. I even heard about some guys who are not into pool that watched it.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to go into the rooms and spend serious time to see the effects. Times have changed. Without alcohol sales you will he left with bars with bar tables.

The bar box game is what keeps it alive. Look at Hard Times Bellflower. Icon. Hanging on by the teeth. They don’t want to recover the tables because they may not be there long. That is a player hall. Some of the best players in the country if not the world frequent that place. If you can’t find a game there then you don’t play pool. It won’t be with us long and it is without a doubt the best setup on the planet. So yes....it has changed. You need a different attitude to keep a pool hall open these days. Don’t bet he buggy whip. Progress or go out of business. It’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Maybe they would rather close than progress?
There is a market for old school pool.

These rooms don't make that much off leagues. Though the opposite cannot be said.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or that pool is broken? I mean, what's your market indicators to support those claims? Is Simonis selling less cloth and balls to the market today vs a year ago? Are cue makers going broke because less customers are buying cues today? Is the APA, TAP, CSI, and other pool leagues losing customers? Are more bars and pool rooms going out of business this year vs last year?

Pool is doing great on an amateur level.. I just wish that would translate to money for the pro level and a pro tour again.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our town of about 400k had 6 rooms now 1.

My local pool community is shrinking however the community just North of us in San Antonio is only slightly smaller than it was 15-20 years ago.

I saw a pretty sharp decline in the surrounding Dallas areas but DFW is so big its really hard to gauge the overall impact in that area.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2017 took place in a morgue, but carlo didn't seem to mind..I do find it kind of interesting that the video has more views than 2003, because it's newer, maybe?

anyway, I definitely miss the production value of the older events. did those events make the producers/promoters money tho?
That '03 event was held during the Matchroom days. You can bet that if Barry Hearn was involved it made money. Can't wait til the Open in Vegas to see what they can do for pool here.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
POOL has always come and gone every ten years or so that I have seen since the 50s and also long as there are scuzzy rooms and seedy looking players it will always have a stigma..

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

King Cobra wanna play King Gypsy some One Pocket and or 9Ball ? Hell let's bring action back since you are all worried bout pool and cash ...... let's get in on I'll travel so no excuses!!!!