DCC Restaurant Comments anyone?

curly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hotel Survey

Tim5000 said:
The hotel sent me an email survey. That was a mistake. I went off on the restaurant. Here's what I wrote...

I was with Derby City Classic Billiard group. The restaurant & buffet need attention. Staff is reasonably friendly, but everyone seems unmotivated & slow. As if they need more strick supervision & motivation. About the food, I would rate it near hospital, or airline quality at best! THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO FEEL THE SAME WAY, YOUR RESTAURANT IS BECOMING NOTORIOUS, CHECK THIS WEB FORUM FOR COMMENTS FROM OUR GROUP, IT'S REALLY SAD. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51580

Yeah, I got a survey too and rated the restaurants food bad. I've been to all 9 DCC and the restaurant was always "questionable". The breakfast buffet was ok but the dinner buffet sucked. No dessert on the buffet and a poor selection. Also, not a good menu to select from. We went out to eat alot but would have rather ate at the hotel. You'd think they would have improved with all the complaints over the years...guess it falls on deaf ears!

Curly

T

Timberly

Last yr I ate at the breakfast buffet my first morning there and never went back. I stuck to ordering burgers from the bar and chili from the snack stand.

This yr I had no intentions of setting foot in the restaurant. Enter one long night of drinking and the smell of bacon wafting through the lobby when I was on my way up to my room.... I found myself at the breakfast bar. This time the gravy was edible and not runny. The bacon was good and the hash browns were hot. I was pleasantly surprised.

The first burger I ordered was supposed to be cooked medium but was closer to rare. The 2nd burger a few days later took longer to get but was done correctly.

From the snack bar, I had a turkey & swiss sandwich. I was impressed by the amount of turkey on the sandwhich. The pulled pork was good... the sauce was a little sweet for my tastes but otherwise fine. The chili was really bland and in desperate need of some hot sauce, which wasn't provided. The coffee from the snack bar was ATROCIOUS.

I was surprised at the minimal menu but figured it was their way of not only making things easier on them but a way for them to maybe raise the bar so to speak on the food quality. They seemed to pick foods that are of little expense to the restaurant and also easy to prepare and difficult to mess up. In talking to Greg towards the end, he asked me about the food and said that they were making an effort to improve. Limiting the menu and sending out questionnaires about the food service and quality, leads me to believe that they are in fact starting to take the patrons of the DCC a little more serious.

As far as service goes... I think they could stand to have two bartenders on each night. The 5 PM crowd was way more than the elderly blonde bartender could handle and while the younger girls handled the later crowd fairly decently, I still think they could've doubled up on bartenders for the week.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Timberly said:
I think they could stand to have two bartenders on each night. The 5 PM crowd was way more than the elderly blonde bartender could handle and while the younger girls handled the later crowd fairly decently, I still think they could've doubled up on bartenders for the week.
Next year I am going to request that they hire an extra bartender just for me and the notorious crew.:D

T

Timberly

Ktown D said:
Next year I am going to request that they hire an extra bartender just for me and the notorious crew.:D
The waitress couldn't keep up with us... one night I told her to just bring a trash can close to the table because she was constantly picking up empties. She was actually considering it but then it was last call so she was able to slow down.

Just imagine if we had combined crews! :eek: Last yr on the last night, we did... we ended up with an L shaped table and Shannon, Marge, their crew, 4 from mine, even Rafl Souquet & a friend joined in to celebrate his win. That was a good time. Are you going to try to make it to the whole thing next yr, or at least be there for the end instead of the begining?

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Timberly said:
The waitress couldn't keep up with us... one night I told her to just bring a trash can close to the table because she was constantly picking up empties. She was actually considering it but then it was last call so she was able to slow down.

Just imagine if we had combined crews! :eek: Last yr on the last night, we did... we ended up with an L shaped table and Shannon, Marge, their crew, 4 from mine, even Rafl Souquet & a friend joined in to celebrate his win. That was a good time. Are you going to try to make it to the whole thing next yr, or at least be there for the end instead of the begining?
I am usually always there for the end but this year I changed it up a little. I probably won't be there for the whole week but I plan to make the last 5 days. Last year I didn't make the celebration due to the fact that I was sweating a dime in the action room although I made my way through the bar a few times. It was a madhouse.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the restaurant about a 6. Decent breakfast buffet and I felt the service was good. For dinner buffet, go across the street to the other hotel. It has better food and a better selection. Order off the menu at either place for the best meal. Ask the waitress to help you select something good.

The snack bar is okay in a pinch, when you need food quick. Otherwise you can drive a few miles for good food at several locations. The bowling alley will make you a good burger and a fresh piece of pie, and is very reasonably priced.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only ate there two times this year. The first was for dinner, and I ending getting the buffet. Cannot remember exactly what was served(I know they had catfish, but I did not eat any), but it was ok. However, I was sitting there for a while waiting on a server. I was not going to get the buffet, but after sitting there waiting, I figured it would be much faster to serve myself. However, the manager was very nice- it may have had something to do with the wait. He apoligized for it, and seemed to be the hardest worker there. The second time I ordered a cheeseburger. It was also alright. I am not very picky, and it is also hard to really mess up a burger.

Last edited:
T

Timberly

jay helfert said:
The bowling alley will make you a good burger and a fresh piece of pie, and is very reasonably priced.
After reading about the bowling alley last yr, I decided I was going to try it this yr. Well.... I forgot about it by the time it rolled around this yr. :( With the weather this yr, it would've been perfect to run over there (no car for me) and check it out.

Those of you that go to the bowling alley each yr... do me a favor, if you remember, and post something about it next yr BEFORE the DCC.

Thanks!

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I think what bothers me about the restaurant the most is the decline. I remember in 2001 at my first Derby how GREAT the food was. Every single meal was good food and plenty of it. The buffets had a larger selection. I remember after the first year thinking how nice it was that you NEVER had to leave the hotel to get something. :) They also kept the restaurant open later. They were seating people at 11pm still. I also remember that they used to have a LOT more servers. It used to be a breeze getting an ice tea refill...now its like asking them to visit the dentist. I guess its a money thing and they were not making enough profit on the restaurant. I dont know how they can be doing better now...the place was NEVER packed like it used to be. :( I would love to see the income levels of the restaurant for every year of the DCC and see how they compare.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
Papa johns, turkey and swiss subs from the snack bar, pop corn, and cookies are all you need! 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, an A+!!!

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breakfast buffet is above average with all beverages included. no one says anything about the open offering no restaurant good or bad. lol

T

Timberly

jayburger said:
breakfast buffet is above average with all beverages included. no one says anything about the open offering no restaurant good or bad. lol
The Open isn't held in a hotel and isn't a one stop shop kind of place. At the Open, most people go to two places... their hotel and the convention center. The food at the convention center is horrid but we're not stuck there like we are at the DCC. Besides, the weather is warm at the open making it even easier for those without cars to walk to places.

Awhile back I stated that the burgers at Q-Masters gives ANYTHING at Derby the orange crush. ;)

That aside, it's not fair to compare the two... they're different set ups.

curly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a reply from the hotel regarding the survey that was emailed to me and my poor ratings on the restaurant. This is the first time they seem to be interested in how the guests feel about their stay. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for choosing the Executive West on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Louisville.

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate our all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

I apologize again for the problems with our food operation, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.

Sincerely, John Shake General Manager"

Tim5000

Silver Member
curly said:
I got a reply from the hotel regarding the survey that was emailed to me and my poor ratings on the restaurant. This is the first time they seem to be interested in how the guests feel about their stay. Here's what they said:
"

I got the same reply after I complained (See my earlier post in this thread) The reply you got is word-for-word the same as the one I got. So they aren't even taking the time to personally respond, it's just a bulk form letter that's sent to everyone.

Did you notice they didn't even say they would try to correct any of the specific problems we mentioned? So basically thery're saying "We're sorry you had a problem... too bad, but we're not going to change anything" A good manager would agree with the customer and promise to make is better, and maybe even throw in a coupon or free sandwich for next visit. If I wrote a letter to Mcdonalds blasting one of thier locations the way I blasted The Executive West, I'd have a personal call from the store manager, plus two free meals!

Last edited:

curly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim5000 said:
I got the same reply after I complained (See my earlier post in this thread) The reply you got is word-for-word the same as the one I got. So they aren't even taking the time to personally respond, it's just a bulk form letter that's sent to everyone.

Did you notice they didn't even say they would try to correct any of the specific problems we mentioned? So basically thery're saying "We're sorry you had a problem... too bad, but we're not going to change anything" A good manager would agree with the customer and promise to make is better, and maybe even through in a coupon or free sandwich for next visit. If I wrote a letter to Mcdonalds blasting one of thier locations the way I blasted The Executive West, I'd have a personal call from the store manager, plus two free meals!

Yeah Tim, you'd think the management would have stated some kind of corrective action. I didn't keep a record of my comments but I mentioned that I stayed there for nine years and the restaurant was always "questionable" during each visit. I really don't think Galt cares to correct the situation...only that they "acted" on a complaint by sending out letters of acknowledgement. JMHO. I really don't expect a change though.
Curly

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i have never been there ..but maybe it's time to change the venue to a place that CARES !!!:)

oneballeddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change in Management

curly said:
Yeah, I got a survey too and rated the restaurants food bad. I've been to all 9 DCC and the restaurant was always "questionable". The breakfast buffet was ok but the dinner buffet sucked. No dessert on the buffet and a poor selection. Also, not a good menu to select from. We went out to eat alot but would have rather ate at the hotel. You'd think they would have improved with all the complaints over the years...guess it falls on deaf ears!

Curly

On our third consecutive bad visit we asked the young waiter how the food and service could be so consistently horrible. As if only someone had just asked him before, he opened a floodgate of criticism about how embarrassing it was for him to work in what used to be a pretty well run establishment. He said they fired the chef sometime last year and instead of hiring a replacement they just moved a hotel business manager into the kitchen to run the place. Too cheap to spring for real restaurant management and menu expertise.

What strikes me is how little this hotel really cares about their customer base, especially the Derby City crowd which is guaranteed repeat business. Remember the jack hammers last year? They scheduled their remodeling during our sellout Derby City week and refused to make any concessions, adjustments or apologies for charging fullboat for what were basically unihabitable accommodations.

They must have some kind of hold on Diamond to get away with this year after year!

curly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oneballeddie said:
On our third consecutive bad visit we asked the young waiter how the food and service could be so consistently horrible. As if only someone had just asked him before, he opened a floodgate of criticism about how embarrassing it was for him to work in what used to be a pretty well run establishment. He said they fired the chef sometime last year and instead of hiring a replacement they just moved a hotel business manager into the kitchen to run the place. Too cheap to spring for real restaurant management and menu expertise.

What strikes me is how little this hotel really cares about their customer base, especially the Derby City crowd which is guaranteed repeat business. Remember the jack hammers last year? They scheduled their remodeling during our sellout Derby City week and refused to make any concessions, adjustments or apologies for charging fullboat for what were basically unihabitable accommodations.

They must have some kind of hold on Diamond to get away with this year after year!

Yeah, I recall all the work going on a year or so ago. I really think the setup at the hotel is ideal except for the restaurant. I recall in the past though that some had problems not having rooms when they had reservations but were able to stay and the Executive Inn across the street. I find it hard to believe why it's so difficult to serve good food and have good service in the restaurant business. It's all under THEIR control and not dependent on other sources... I think we'll be ordering pizza's and subs next year!

Curly

T

Timberly

cuejoey said:
i have never been there ..but maybe it's time to change the venue to a place that CARES !!!:)
Other than the food situation, I never got the idea in the last two yrs that I was there that they didn't care. I've often wondered how Greg was able to find a place willing to put up with this kind of tournament. Just like it is for everyone there, there is no resting period for the hotel because there's something going on 24 hrs a day! A lot of places would've said "no way" after the first yr IMO. I figured their willingness to deal with the headache that I'm sure it is for them, to the fact that it's their biggest event and probably their biggest money maker.

I just found this post that Greg made last August in reference to last yrs DCC. I guess I missed it before because he was posting under a different screen name....

cdsracing said:
The 8th Annual Derby City Classic

We are going on our 8th year and I have to admit it has been quite a learning experience for everyone involved. The first few tournaments had quite a steep learning curve for myself as well as the hotel. The hotel didn’t know what to expect and definitely didn’t help out. They wouldn’t even keep the snack bar open late enough for the players! Each year has posted a major improvement. I have succeeded in turning the hotel from a liability into an asset….without them I couldn’t add the amount of money I do. This coming year there will be over $100,000 added to various tournaments at the DCC and yes, the hotel adds money! Why shouldn’t they? We are now the largest event they have. Think about it, the DCC is 9 straight days of ACTION!

There are other issues we have had to address together. Improved security, improved broadcasting of event to hotel TV’s, increased set-up days, and additional areas for pool action. Even allowing us to set-up tables in the bar area. They are definitely working with us to handle our needs. I know there were 200 rooms last year being remodeled and noise was a problem at times. The parking lot was restricted due to the construction trailers and equipment. This coming year we will all enjoy the fruits of their labor. I’ll never tell anyone where to stay. Do what ya gotta do. The most important thing to me is that you show up! The money will be added no matter where you stay; however, I must say I could ask for more money to add to the tournament if more people would stay on site!!! Maybe a good snow storm would add to the value of the Executive West.

Greg Sullivan
I think it's awesome that the hotel adds money to the event. I had no idea until I read this post.

I am bummed over the fact that they no longer broadcast the tournament. :( All I could find on the tv last yr was the draw and this yr I couldn't find that. I only looked for the draw once and it was around 7AM so I don't know if they had stopped showing it after tournament play was done for the night and I just didn't look for it during tournament hours.