How do Jim Pierce cues hit?

JC

Coos Cues
How does a certain cue maker's cue hit?

Since custom cue makers make one of one cues every one hits different if only slightly than the rest. Different woods etc. In reality probably more than slightly. Just changing the tip can change the entire hit.

Do they hit a ton?

Are they sporty?

Lively

Stiff? Compared to what?

Get one. Put it in your hands. If you like it, buy it.

But don't expect that if you buy another one from the same maker you will also like it.

And don't expect another person's description of it to translate to anything you know.

Just common sense

JC

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
I just ordered a cue from JP about a week ago.
I met Jim at the Griff's (Used to be Pool Sharks) Bar Table 10 Ball tournament in which JP was one of the sponsors.
I hit some balls with Jim's cue and loved it. Jim had a new Laminated LD shaft that he just started making on his cue (only 3 of these shaft exist as of now) and so I placed an order.

South West style
60" 30"/30"
19.5oz.-20oz.
Ebony Forearm
6 points 3 high/3 low from Ca. Buckeye Burl (NO Veneers)
The butt sleeve will be Ca. Buckeye Burl (long part) Ebony (short part)
2 of his new Laminated LD shafts with Kamui SS tips
Still deciding on handle area:
1. wrapless?
2. Irish line?n (white w/ green specs)
3. Spanish Bull leather?

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
I don't know what shaft it had. I wasn't aware that he had 4 different shaft options.

Yes they make a large difference in the hit. Soon there will be 5 to choose from soft to stiff:

1. Curly maple- softer hit
2. Standard maple- normal middle hit, light in color maple
3. Old growth- Quiet yet firm hit, darker in color maple
4. Bowling alley- Stiff hit and loud, kind of ugly maple
5. And soon to be Pierce LD...

eddieautomatic

Temple of Pool Founder
Pierce Cues... hit.

I have test hit dozens of Jim's cues over the years and they were all outstanding. I was fortunate to be playing out of the same pool room when Jim began. My personal Jim Pierce cue is a 4 point classic (tuxedo) Hoppe cue with two bowling alley shafts and ultraskin tips. The hit, to me, is medium/stiff but lively. If I need to spin the ball, the cue delivers. No surprises (as with some LD shafts); no disappointments (as with some ultra stiff custom shafts). By comparison, I would rank the stiffness/liveliness between my Schon and my Scruggs. The 'hit' of my Pierce cue receives my highest compliment: "It does what I want it to do." :thumbup: Eddie Achey, Temple of Pool Founder

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I ordered mine about 1 1/2 months ago. I will let you know about the hit and provide pictures once I receive my cue. Really looking forward to getting the cue.

Thanks

Kevin

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just too add to this, I love my Jim Pierce custom bowling alley shaft on my Robert Harris cue. 12.5mm with a G2 tip. Very easy transition from my Mezz LD shaft to something with a more crisp hit.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I was told mine would been completed by end of month (Hey that's tomorrow). I will have the standard shaft.

Once again I will post my review once I have a chance to put the cue through it's paces.

Kevin

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My lovely Jim Pierce cue ...

love to use it with a old growth shaft

Attachments

• 20161117_170108FB.jpg
    20161117_170108FB.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,862
  • 20161117_170202FB.jpg
    20161117_170202FB.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,818
  • 20161117_165916FB.jpg
    20161117_165916FB.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,730

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Pierce cues hit/play great.I have recently sold my all ebony Pierce with bowling alley shafts,and the hit was insane.The newer one has the standard shafts and hits like a Schon on steriods.Personally,I prefer the bowling alley shafts.The ferrule/tip combo is also of major importance.I loved the hit on the bowling alley shafts,with low def,capless ferrules or (through ferrules),with Kamui mediums.I could draw the length of the table easily.The newer cue has a medium stiff hit and moves the cue ball easily.Would like to get 1 or 2 bowling alley shafts for this cue.I recommend Pierce cues to folks of any and all skill levels.Only took me a few hours to get used to the new cue.Plays easy.Great cues for small $$
Marc

Pierce1.jpg

Pierce2.jpg

15942223_1300246353366340_1764890462_n.jpg

15970632_1300246430032999_1661571723_n.jpg

15978134_1300246443366331_1233792469_n.jpg

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Still waiting on mine. Met Jim Pierce at the Super Billiards Expo. He told me it would be 2 weeks and my cue will be complete. Really anxious to get this cue. I will post pictures and review just as soon as it arrives.

Thanks

Kevin

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
They hit great. Have a few cues from Jim. They all hitherto same which is awesome. Highly recommended.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have another Jim Pierce so to be completed on order. Jim says cue will ship next Thursday. I like the way they hit so much I will be ordering a third very shortly.

Thanks

Kevin