Just gotta tooo my own horn

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Sorry guys....I feel kinda silly to even do this...but here goes..

I have really been putting in alot of hrs on the table here lately to do the best that I can at the US Amateur Qualifier in Shreveport La in Sept. I coach my sons soccer and baseball teams and my mind has really been fried lately with dealing with all the parents, and dealing with the kids...good kinds though...they just like to play around a bit 2 much for me...but hey, they are kids. I have been playing 8 and 9 ball with my son trying to teach him the game, my 16yr old nephew has shown an interest in pool, and his 16th birthday was May 2nd...so I have him a Schon Sneaky Pete that I had...I work at the Regional Veterans Affairs office and thats a pretty stressful job in itself....With all the stress I have had, I was really worried about the ACS tournament that I was going to play in on April 24,25.

Mind you, the tournament started at 7pm sharp..Sand Springs is at least 1hr away..and I got off work late, had to go get my wife and son, drive to Sand Springs and pay for the room at the Hampton Inn...as I was pulling up and my cousin was calling me on my phone saying that i had 5min or I had to forfiet my 1st game...CRAPPPP...so i rush and get the family checked in, go across the street to the pool hall...i barely get inside the door and the tournament director met me and pointed me to my table...(I had 30 seconds to spare)...Well, with rushing around....tired from the days work...and just being stressed smooth out....here is what I accomplished that weekend...

http://www.pooltulsa.com/2009 results Singles.htm

I played alot of really good players..and I went undefeated, but I it would have been just as fun even if I hadnt done so well.

The tournament directors husband (Mr. Keith Costigan) came up to me and said it was a pleasure playing against me, and that he wished everyone was as good of a sport as I was and it was refreshing seeing someone play that could make it so fun...To me, Him saying that just MADE my weekend....I think pool should be fun, and should be played with respect.

There was a situation where I could have cheated and won...I didnt, I instead did what was right knowing that it could cost me the game...Later, someone else I didnt even know came up to me and wanted to shake my hand..didnt have a clue what for..he said he seen what I did and wanted to thank me for being such a good sport and being honest because you dont find that very often..I so very much appreciated that and will never forget it.

I just love to play pool, hate all the drama it can sometimes bring, but try not to let it get me down. I think we should be role models to the younger kids and try and promote our sport, not bash it into the ground. I APPRECIATE AZ and everyone associated with it...This is such a good outlet for me and is very entertaining as well..

Thanks AZ..I appreciate each and every one of you guys and gals!

Shawn

Last edited:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Sorry...was supposed to be Toot my own horn...not tooo..:thumbup:

I am gonna try and make it to the May 24th $20 8ball bar box Rusty's Fort Worth,TX ....if any of you are there and see me......please come up and say Hi...I would love to meet you!

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ftgokie...Congratulations on your great play, under pressure! Sometimes those situations bring out the best in us! :thumbup: Good job on the sportsmanship issue! The day I have to cheat to win a game of pool, will be the day I hang my cue up for good! If you don't have integrity...what DO you have? Best of luck in your upcoming tournaments!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
Sorry...was supposed to be Toot my own horn...not tooo..:thumbup:

Haha! That's okay. YOu know those horns get stuck, once in a while!

Congrats, Dude! You even beat out Mr. Keith! Cool!

Did you get to see the women play? I see Jackie did good, too. A few years back, she was fun to watch. If she was really on her game, she could make you hold your breath, while watching. And, Sandy could take first just standing on her head.

Looks like a lot of folks were in that one. Did y'all flood into the west side of the room, or stay on the east side? That's a nice place for a tournament.

I am gonna try and make it to the May 24th $20 8ball bar box Rusty's Fort Worth,TX ....if any of you are there and see me......please come up and say Hi...I would love to meet you!

We will be easier for you to spot than us to spot you, but we'll look, anyway. You know the crown. It'll be on the cues! I'll just be watching. I don't trust my wrist, anymore. It's not competition-worthy.

Oh... and um... Sand Springs is about 30 or more minutes from here. So, I KNOW it's at least an hour and a half from where you live... if you're driving the speed limit.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Shawn, It's not braggin' if you can do it. And you did it! Congratulations.:thumbup:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Im just proud that I could do it and my son get to watch me win.....The little stinker and I made a bet when I decided to start playing....That any time I win any tournament, I owe him 5.00.

Him and my wife support me playing and that means alot to me. But I guess the best feeling out of it all was when he came up to me and said he was proud of me. When your 8yr old son says that to you I dont care who you are...thats the best feeling in the whole world!

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
good to see the sportsmanship in the game, since i started playing pool i havent seen anything but any way to win will do, not like snooker where we have great sportsmanship and honesty.

keep up the good work, and well done with ur win, ur son will be getting plenty of pocket money

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
good to see the sportsmanship in the game, since i started playing pool i havent seen anything but any way to win will do, not like snooker where we have great sportsmanship and honesty.

keep up the good work, and well done with ur win, ur son will be getting plenty of pocket money

Yea...Looks like he sharked me on that bet....I knew he had some insider info.....:thumbup:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Congrats on the win bro! Especially on the honesty issue, that's more important to me than winning any day...

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Congrats on the win bro! Especially on the honesty issue, that's more important to me than winning any day...

I totally agree...I couldnt cheat if I wanted to....I woulldnt have been able to play if I had. It would have absolutely just ate me live. I just can see how people do cheat like that. But it does happen and I feel sorry for them. I woudl rather win with dignity and honesty, than win by cheating...Its all about fun and trying to prove yourself...if you cheat, you lose all your integrity and take the fun out of it for yourself and others...and word travels fast in the pool community...

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Seems to me you'd better keep some $5 bills handy for your son.

I think he is saving the money I pay him so he can be my steak horse:grin-square:

Shoot...he is 8yrs old and for his 8th bday, we gave him a pool cue....he ran 4 balls the other day and he was so happy...of course I was happy too...and scared, because I can see him wanting to play me for money in about a yr :eek:

I may need to look for a backer to play him....he may have to give me some weight as well.....;)

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on the win :thumbup: and good job on the sportsmanship. It's nice to know that there are still honest peeps left playing the game.