New player needs a cue

Chagy

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to pool in general I've been playing for about a year and a half I'm a pretty good player though and will be playing in a league soon so I'm looking for a good cue for under $200. I was looking at the Viking V103 and wondering if this is a good que or another cue would be better. Also the weight I was thinking probably 18.5 would that be good for so wine new like myself. I normally try and play with an 18 or 19 oz cue at the bar. One more question in how is the feel and everything to a cue like this compared to one that I would use at a bar.

Thanks for your guys help I look forward to readying the responses

Chagy

Registered
Now what would be the difference in the cue that I posted and say one of the ones you said were good? I'm really a newbie about all of this.

txironhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's a big city near you, find a billiard store. Some of the larger ones actually have demo sticks and they'll let you shoot a few and see how you like it. Even if they don't, at least you can "feel" them. The best cue for you is the one that feels right in your hands. I've shot with a friend's $1,200 cue and hated it. He loves it, has won tournaments with it. It's preference, and we're all different. So the more brands, styles, weight, etc. sticks you can hold and try the better, because one will feel right. Tell them your budget and they'll work with you. Later, as your skill level increases you will probably want to go with a custom stick, because they put cocaine in the chalk and heroin in the powder, this is all just one huge addiction. :grin:

Seriously, I like my Adam, but I really want one made just for me, and most of the APA 5-7's I know eventually sold or traded their McDermotts and Lucasis and went custom.

Card Slinger

Registered
I'd say go for that Viking. Lifetime warranty on the shaft. Decent Everest tip. Irish linen wrap. That weight should be fine.

For the most part you should find long straight shots easier with a cue like this rather than a short, warped, dirty bar cue.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to pool in general I've been playing for about a year and a half I'm a pretty good player though and will be playing in a league soon so I'm looking for a good cue for under $200. I was looking at the Viking V103 and wondering if this is a good que or another cue would be better. Also the weight I was thinking probably 18.5 would that be good for so wine new like myself. I normally try and play with an 18 or 19 oz cue at the bar. One more question in how is the feel and everything to a cue like this compared to one that I would use at a bar.

Thanks for your guys help I look forward to readying the responses

most vikings hit like wet noodles. if you're used to using house cues yo should try to get yourself something stiffer so the adjustment won't be so hard

bhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vikings have a pretty good hit. Better than other production cues I've tried. You should be able to get a nice custom sneaky here on the forum for 250 or less if you keep your eyes open. I have gotten some great deals on this site and I would take a custom sneaky over a viking any day. Just my thoughts.

Chagy

Registered
most vikings hit like wet noodles. if you're used to using house cues yo should try to get yourself something stiffer so the adjustment won't be so hard

Is there something you might be able to suggest?

Also just like feel wise when I hit and use draw on the cue ball how much will the feel be different than a house cue I've never used a cue costing more than like $50 before.

txironhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy I play against regularly uses a Viking and loves it. He put a Sniper tip on it. He's a competent player, too. Not my cup of tea, but works for him.

Check the for sale here, seen some decent deals offered, but what I said about finding a billiards store stands. Everyone's different, what shoots great for one person may feel like a mop handle to someone else. I'd hate to see you drop $200 on a stick you've never even held and end up not liking it, especially if it's a "production" stick. And if you find a stick you like, check the for sale section here and you may find it a lot cheaper.

Another thing I'd recommend is getting a cue that has removable weights. My 20oz. Fats can be dropped down to a 17 or 17.5, I've got it around 18.5 right now and really like that I can change it up. That way you can play at one weight for a while then drop or add a half ounce at a time until you find your preference. Then when and if you decide to upgrade your stick, you'll know what weight you're comfortable with.

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you can tell by my screen name I am a Meucci man, look on craigslist, see if there are any Meucci originals, if there is call/email and see if the seller will meet you at a pool hall so you can knock some balls around. I think you would fall in love with a Meucci original!

Chagy

Registered
As you can tell by my screen name I am a Meucci man, look on craigslist, see if there are any Meucci originals, if there is call/email and see if the seller will meet you at a pool hall so you can knock some balls around. I think you would fall in love with a Meucci original!

Why is this? What do you like about a meucci better than say a Viking?

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned a viking, just wasn't crazy about the way it shot! With a Meucci it is less power more play and less deflection! Lot of hard work goes into a Meucci, I know people that shot a some what okay game, then they shot with a Meucci, after getting use to the cue there game would improve 10 to 20%

txironhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll have to agree, if you can FIND a Meucci in your budget, they're great sticks. I've tried a couple of them that friends had. But I still say your best bet is try before you buy. Heck, hit a few pawn shops in your area. I know someone that picked up a 2X2 case with a Meucci AND a Cuetek stick for $150. Sold the Cuetek for $100 the same day. Some pawn shops don't know one stick from another. Even if you find one that needs a little TLC it would be worth it. Of course, there's a pawn shop nearby that has a bucket full of Superior cues (Academy brand) that they're wanting $50-200 each.

gh2011

Registered
Man Just buy a predator or a mezz and call it a day. I have a $1500 dollar schon sitting in the closet and I play with a predator. Playing with low deflection shafts makes things alot easier especially if your a beginner. If you buy a predator try to buy one of the first gens on ebay used. I feel they play better than the new ones and I have shot with both. I cannot comment on the mezz as I am about to buy one myself but if they are as good as the hype that would be the way to go.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
id say start with a regular shaft because with an unpropper technique it is impossible to play such a shaft well.

why? tons of spin in EVERY direction if you dont hit it deathcenter. meens your positionplay will be "funny" if your stroke isnt good enough.

secondly a traditionnal shaft will put him in a position where he has to train his stroke to get a drawshot for example.

laminated whipes are ok....when you have the basics...