Reputation and its usage.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am wondering if my understanding of this function on the site is correct.

Today, I saw something that I totally disagreed with and it was someone bashing other members( or me). So rather than starting a flame war on someone else's thread, I gave the red reputation and sent a message

Just curious about it. I have had someone I respect on here do the same thing with the red and a note. It worked, I took his point and moved on. No war, no flames.

Thanks

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
No offense, but who cares? If you didn't want to just post your message on the other thread, why make a brand new thread about it?

Just asking about the usage of the reputation points. I guess I should have left the specifics out.

Thanks

Trent from Toledo

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rep is a childish forum thing - when used as red at least. Giving someone a greenie is a fast way to show agreement, a pat on the shoulder so to speak.

Once you take reputation seriously - sort of like a personal offense - you should rethink how important in life such a stupid red rep really is. Does it get you banned? Does your standing in the community drop because of it? Hell, no. Either some weirdo had to let go of his own stupid feelings or you ruffled someone's or even everyone's feathers and they gave you red rep. So what?

I always ignore childish red rep - at least when it is given just because someone thinks he has to disagree with me on a real issue.

If I misbehaved like calling someone names or similar I deserved it - but then I try to avoid that. Can't remember when I started such stuff. So, when I get bad rep I take it for what it is - a thing you flush in the mental toilet. Usually including the poster of the rep :)

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I am wondering if my understanding of this function on the site is correct.

Today, I saw something that I totally disagreed with and it was someone bashing other members( or me). So rather than starting a flame war on someone else's thread, I gave the red reputation and sent a message

Just curious about it. I have had someone I respect on here do the same thing with the red and a note. It worked, I took his point and moved on. No war, no flames.

Thanks

Trent from Toledo

In both theory and function, you're correct.
As others have stated, mileage may vary.
A good many years ago, rep and being the rep leader was everything to a few posters. It soured most of us old heads to the idea. Though, it has worked in certain situations - like fraudulent/shameful cue makers when they were actively trying to solicit customers (ie Eddie Wheat and Jeff Eason - everyone bad-repped them so it was a visual cue to avoid all interaction with them). Most "red reppers" end up banned as some point, anyway.

Josh

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
In both theory and function, you're correct.
As others have stated, mileage may vary.
A good many years ago, rep and being the rep leader was everything to a few posters. It soured most of us old heads to the idea. Though, it has worked in certain situations - like fraudulent/shameful cue makers when they were actively trying to solicit customers (ie Eddie Wheat and Jeff Eason -everyone bad-repped them so it was a visual cue to avoid all interaction with them). Most "red reppers" end up banned as some point, anyway.

Josh

How do you know when somebody receives bad rep?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rep is a childish forum thing - when used as red at least.

Once you take reputation seriously - sort of like a personal offense - you should rethink how important in life such a stupid red rep really is. Does it get you banned? Does your standing in the community drop because of it? Hell, no. Either some weirdo had to let go of his own stupid feelings or you ruffled someone's or even everyone's feathers and they gave you red rep. So what?

I always ignore childish red rep - at least when it is given just because someone thinks he has to disagree with me on a real issue.

If I misbehaved like calling someone names or similar I deserved it - but then I try to avoid that. Can't remember when I started such stuff. So, when I get bad rep I take it for what it is - a thing you flush in the mental toilet. Usually including the poster of the rep :)

Just by reading your post, I'd say it does bother you when you get some red rep. Which is probably exactly what they were hoping for. I get red all the time... from the same stupid poster who I like!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If enough posters drop red on you the green bar under your user name turns red for a short while. Then the whole AZ world knows you have been bad:eek:
Does anybody really care about this? BTW, what are "reputation points"?? Can i redeem them?? ;)

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Rep is a childish forum thing - when used as red at least. Giving someone a greenie is a fast way to show agreement, a pat on the shoulder so to speak.

Once you take reputation seriously - sort of like a personal offense - you should rethink how important in life such a stupid red rep really is.

Just so.

And for the record.... As feisty as I can be on here, Trent is the only person to give me red rep on here in the past something like 5 years.

Make of that what you will.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Just so.

And for the record.... As feisty as I can be on here, Trent is the only person to give me red rep on here in the past something like 5 years.

Make of that what you will.

It would take more then red rep to turn the short bus red. :cool:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
How do you know when somebody receives bad rep?

Click on the USER CP tab underneath the header of the site. That will show your recently received rep. If enough posters give you red, the green bar beneath your name in your posts will all show red.

Josh

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
mmhmmm

I personally like the feature. I can let someone know what I think with out starting a huge battle on their thread. I usually leave a detailed message along with the red or green!

I have rarely got the red ones, but, when I do it makes me think more about the situation at hand and how I responded. A couple of times, it made me realize I was being silly.

Even the situation with good ole ShortbusRuss, I dont know him. I was just being honest and some people want to be lied to.
I have no beef personally with him, even though he suggested we "meet" at the Derby so he can "talk with me", (which is absolutely absurd)....

Not even sure why he is posting on my thread: I AM SUPPOSED TO BE ON HIS IGNORE LIST!!!

The reputation system may not work as intended, but, the ignore feature is another fun one, works like a charm!

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent...you are in serious trouble. J/K...how ya doin?

Hey Frank. I am doing great man. How the heck are you?? HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Baby Hannah is AMAZING!!! Just turned 6 months. Finally moved into a 1200sq ft shop and have 1200sq ft. available for retail table sales later this year! New table sales, service and all other pool related items!

Had one pocket lessons today with one of the best players in our area. Had a blast and have a bunch of new 2rail banks to learn!

Hows your game? your table? the wife doing better?

Trent from Toledo

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Click on the USER CP tab underneath the header of the site. That will show your recently received rep. If enough posters give you red, the green bar beneath your name in your posts will all show red.

Josh

Thanks to you, also.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Frank. I am doing great man. How the heck are you?? HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Baby Hannah is AMAZING!!! Just turned 6 months. Finally moved into a 1200sq ft shop and have 1200sq ft. available for retail table sales later this year! New table sales, service and all other pool related items!

Had one pocket lessons today with one of the best players in our area. Had a blast and have a bunch of new 2rail banks to learn!

Hows your game? your table? the wife doing better?

Trent from Toledo
Congrats on being a father. All the best to you and your family. My game...up & down. Still working on it(always will be). I'm having fun. I love it.
Wife doing better thanks. Pool table is on a Battery Tender...I'm currently in S. Florida playing on Diamonds at my clubhouse. Good luck with your new shop. Here's to bigger and better.:thumbup: Happy New Year back to ya.