I invented a 2 player cut-throat pool game!!!

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I want to thank this thread for pointing out Fast 8 ball, racked and broken like 9 ball.

I can't believe I hadn't already thought to try that.

We go back and forth between 8 ball and 9 ball, as it is. This is a little bit of both, and you can win on the break. What's not to like?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
again folks this is not some boring mini 8ball game your all talking about can we drop the subject lol
The point you may be missing somehow is that shooting your group of balls and then the 9 is the same as shooting all of the other person's balls and then the 9. The only difference is what you are calling the balls you are shooting at. Call them yours, the other guy's, the neighbor lady's pr the Detroit Lions...it's still a game where you try to make a group and then the 9.

It's short 8 ball with a few local coin-op bar box rules tossed in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is true of almost all new ideas.

In my experience of "new ideas", my rule of thumb is if it truly is a "new idea" you can bet there are 50,000 other people in the world who have thought of it within the same time frame as well.

I’d say those 50,000 other folks having the same (goofy) ideas have made the same mistakes as everyone else - they haven’t given their idea much thought or perfected them before standing on the mountain saying they have a new idea - which is what it takes to propel them way beyond “new idea” and into rare, great idea territory.

Plus - being a skeptic tends to leave a lot of adventure unexplored

~ K.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
again folks this is not some boring mini 8ball game your all talking about can we drop the subject lol

I'll sort of defend you.

Today's 8-ball game, you cannot win or lose on the break. Those rules were taken off the WPA and BCAPL a while ago now, in early 2000's. However, the APA, the largest body of amateur pool still has it as a win (or loss with a scratch) on the 8-ball on the break, so you're still in 8-ball zone.

You tilt the rack sideways. Okay, that's not 8-ball or 9-ball.

You play either the four solids or four stripes and must knock in that set before playing for the money ball. That's Short Rack 8-ball at its essence.

This multi-combination thing however.... that's just a wild-ass, bar rule. You get no points for originality for that.

So, in the end, it's pretty much Short Rack 8-ball. Time to eat some bananas.

Freddie <~~~ knows this 8-ball game

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think it’s the 9 being the money ball that is confusing the inventor here. When it comes down to it though it doesn’t matter what the money ball is, if you shoot all of one specific group and then a game winning ball, while ignoring the other balls then it is just 8 ball (or fast8) turned sideways and with the 9 in place of the 8.

If you have to shoot your (or opponent’s) balls in rotation then it would be more 9 ball-ish

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Short Rack 8 Ball, using the 9 Ball Rack?

I will be all over that. That's a great idea. I probably won't rack it sideways, though.

This sort of combines 8 Ball and 9 Ball; especially if the 8 on the break wins, instead of getting spotted.

Before someone says they invented it, the Short Rack 8-ball, but running your balls in rotation, is also an existing game. I would assume people would spot up balls that were illegally dropped.

Short Rack Honolulu 8-ball is also a game that's been played already. I have (maybe I invented it!!!!)

Racking with a 9-ball rack sideways has also been done (7-ball is done that way), but no idea if someone has combined all of these before in a rack with nine balls.

Freddie <~~~ BTDT

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I invented a hockey game where you defend the other team's goal and try to shoot the puck in your own goal.

Ties after three periods of regulation cut throat hockey are broken by Rock/Paper/Scissors.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I invented a hockey game where you defend the other team's goal and try to shoot the puck in your own goal.

Ties after three periods of regulation cut throat hockey are broken by Rock/Paper/Scissors.

Don’t degrade R.P.S.!!!

When A beats B, And B beats C...BUT! C BEATS A!!!...Anything can happen at any time. The most complex and intense of mathematical hand gaming.

By the by, I’ve never seen someone with a red bar underneath. That didn’t take long

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this is what goes on here. But c’mon guys, you’re making it too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Short Rack 8 Ball, using the 9 Ball Rack?

I will be all over that. That's a great idea. I probably won't rack it sideways, though.

This sort of combines 8 Ball and 9 Ball; especially if the 8 on the break wins, instead of getting spotted.
It is definitely SR 8 ball.
For a real "combination of 8ball and 9ball" the game to play is Saratoga.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yea well I just invented a meal where you eat breakfeast food like pancakes and bacon but at close to noon! I'll call lunchfeast. It will be eaten on Mondays. So nothing like that brunch thing you do on Sunday.

Posts on AZB are like a fish net, the more you struggle to get away, the tighter it holds you in :) Well now youze can't leave, as the movie quote goes.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the by, I’ve never seen someone with a red bar underneath. That didn’t take long

It's happened before but most of the time the poster got banned and a few times people took pity on them and sent them green rep so they ended up in green.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
If I'm using a 9 ball rack, then the 8 on the break wins.

In the rules I've played it doesn't. In fact if you make the 8, and no other ball, you don't get to keep shooting. And because it is such a short rack, 9 times out of 10 you are going to get run out on.

Sounds like a lot of haters are on this site dont matter its a 9ball(triple shot to win) cut-throat game whats it have to do with 8ball? waste your time more trying to say my invention already happened... don't get me wrong 99% of inventions already happened but your all making this look real good for me lol. Your all forgetting the little side cute rules that make cut-throat the game it is today the thing is trying to explain it to your friends might make them rage as well being a demon and all }:)~

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
In the rules I've played it doesn't. In fact if you make the 8, and no other ball, you don't get to keep shooting. And because it is such a short rack, 9 times out of 10 you are going to get run out on.

But this is a thrown together mixture of rules anyway. I'm going to tell people that the 8 on the break wins. If not, then the 9 ball rack itself will be the only 9 ball influence on the Fast 8 rules. It appeals to me to have a little more 9 ball influence, than just the rack itself. If the 8 on the break wins; then I really, really care who gets to break. It adds a little more spice to the game. Rack and break like 9 ball, then play like 8 ball. It's both games at once.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a lot of haters are on this site dont matter its a 9ball(triple shot to win) cut-throat game whats it have to do with 8ball? waste your time more trying to say my invention already happened... don't get me wrong 99% of inventions already happened but your all making this look real good for me lol. Your all forgetting the little side cute rules that make cut-throat the game it is today the thing is trying to explain it to your friends might make them rage as well being a demon and all }:)~
The intentional grammar mistakes are particularly fetching. :groucho: