WOW! My Open Experience

Purdman

Banned
As some of you know, John Schmidt came on here and asked if anyone wanted to help back him. I never met John before, and as many of you know, I am a compassionate guy. A little hard headed and opinionated I know, but still a spiritual and compassionate guy! Some people came on here and brought up everything they could think of to slam John and discourage any backers. (You all know who you are). There isn't much you can say bad about John. He has a familey and financial obligations and didn't want to let those depending on him down, so he asked for some help. I offored to help him and am happy that I did. What did I get out of it? One of the most wonderful experiences of my life. Besides getting to know John, who is an outstanding player and human being, I have met some of the finest people I have ever met in my lifetime. Real people, real friends with real heart. Helping John get here is one of the best decisions I have ever made. We have some exceptional people here on this board and I have met quite a few of them. The bottom line is that I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!!!
How did we do? Well, he went farther than most expected. I had no expectations! We are well into the money so far. Making up a good bit of my stake. It can only get better from here. I also sold a cue I have had for several years, just sitting in the basement. That has covered my ass, I am happy to say. Oh, I know, you had to sell a cue to break even! Who knows, I might have given that cue away to some Az member just like I have several times before. It is no big deal to me. I have plenty of them. Personal relationships are more important than material things in my book and I have come out way ahead on this one. Good people gravitate to one another and I have made some life long friends this week. That in itself is worth more than any amount of money!
So in closing I want to tell the naysayers, open up your heart, help one another out when you can and most important of all, enjoy your lives. Go for it and do what ya love to do! Many thanks to those of you who have offored your support thru PM's and posts and to those who I may have gotten a little testy with, I apologize. I would like to become friends with you also. Best of luck to John on the losers side. I do not know why they call it that, John certainly isn't a loser. He is a winner big time in my eyes.
God Bless All, sincerely, Purdman:cool:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman and John,
Thanks for backing John and the update. I have been following John's terrific performance. Good fortune to both of you.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:
As some of you know, John Schmidt came on here and asked if anyone wanted to help back him. I never met John before, and as many of you know, I am a compassionate guy. A little hard headed and opinionated I know, but still a spiritual and compassionate guy! Some people came on here and brought up everything they could think of to slam John and discourage any backers. (You all know who you are). There isn't much you can say bad about John. He has a familey and financial obligations and didn't want to let those depending on him down, so he asked for some help. I offored to help him and am happy that I did. What did I get out of it? One of the most wonderful experiences of my life. Besides getting to know John, who is an outstanding player and human being, I have met some of the finest people I have ever met in my lifetime. Real people, real friends with real heart. Helping John get here is one of the best decisions I have ever made. We have some exceptional people here on this board and I have met quite a few of them. The bottom line is that I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!!!
How did we do? Well, he went farther than most expected. I had no expectations! We are well into the money so far. Making up a good bit of my stake. It can only get better from here. I also sold a cue I have had for several years, just sitting in the basement. That has covered my ass, I am happy to say. Oh, I know, you had to sell a cue to break even! Who knows, I might have given that cue away to some Az member just like I have several times before. It is no big deal to me. I have plenty of them. Personal relationships are more important than material things in my book and I have come out way ahead on this one. Good people gravitate to one another and I have made some life long friends this week. That in itself is worth more than any amount of money!
So in closing I want to tell the naysayers, open up your heart, help one another out when you can and most important of all, enjoy your lives. Go for it and do what ya love to do! Many thanks to those of you who have offored your support thru PM's and posts and to those who I may have gotten a little testy with, I apologize. I would like to become friends with you also. Best of luck to John on the losers side. I do not know why they call it that, John certainly isn't a loser. He is a winner big time in my eyes.

Have fun Purdman. You deserve it.

It is the one-loss side, not a losers side.

More often than not, there are many winners at any event. So often, it is about the effort given vs. the result. Many over the years would have given their souls to win this event.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Purdman said:

Having never met the man, only through reading about him over the years I already had pictured what you felt first hand. He is committed and has values which are not always prevalant with most people. Enjoy yourself, the crowds there are special, I always played a ball better when I attended this event, and made a few more friendships better.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Purdman said:

Duplicate Post, oops.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Purdy ...

I am happy you are coming away with such a special experience, and sounds like you having a lot of fun. John must be a very nice human being, because many people I respect keep saying so. Being able to market one's self is important in any profession, not just Pool.

I remember when Doctor's and Lawyer's were ethically forbidden to advertise in the Yellow pages. Today, it is common practice to do so.

John is still in there, and I wish him good luck in his matches.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Purdman said:

Thank's for a nice and sincere post Purdman, good luck for you both, enjoy the games!

M

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's a super nice guy. Very friendly, open, and willing to give advice. I liked him immediately when I met him at the Derby. I'm sure you had a nice experiance.

Regards,

Doug

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
never met either of you but have a great time ,ive got a new dark horse,
go john go! have fun purdman

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman, congratulations on being a great human being. At the end of the day, both you and John will leave the Open with a great feeling of satisfaction and a genuine sense of acomplishment.

I'm sure John appreciates all your help and played his heart out to prove he was worthy of it. Clearly you're not pressuring John and you're just there having a great time enjoying the atmosphere and meeting new friends. I'm positive both these factors have weighed into John's success.

I rooting for John to keep 'er rolling.:)

KLOPEK

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Purdy,
I don't know John really well, but the few interactions we've had online and on the tour I'm not a bit suprised that you got one heck of a ride and a special experience via the partnership with him.

Glad to hear you've had a ball and profited spiritually and perhaps even financially.

Yes you're a bit of an obnoxious character at times, but in an entertaining and endearing way most the time. If I get the chance to bump into you someday I'll be more than happy to shoot the breeze with you.

Continued good fortune,
Colin

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Salamander said:
John's a super nice guy.

I'm sure he is.. Especially when telling anyone who hasn't achieved superpro status they don't know *&^% about pool, and then immediately challenging them to a $10,000 matchup.

Just who I want my daughter to bring home for supper.

Russ

P.S. All that aside, he is a heck of a straight pool player. I have the big run video.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Purdman,

It's wonderful that you took that leap of faith. John is as good as they get. I'm glad you are having a blast and please keep us updated! It is always uplifting to hear how two great people got together in the pool world and forged a friendship.

BTW, it's not the loser's side. Borrowing from our friends across the border in Canada, it is the Eh and B sides. Just don't want to be caught on the C-side (seaside)!

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
compassion

i like your compassion for a fellow human being. I have seen John play at Crown Billiards in North Jersey 3 years ago. He played house pro Teddy Garrahan a few sets of 1-hole for a bag of beans a set. Teddy won, and John wanted to up bet to 10 bags in 9-ball or straight. He has a lot of heart and class at the table. Good instincts on your part, and good compassion.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:

Wow!!! Nice job Purdman. It looks like John is guaranteed no worse than 5th with his defeat of Gabica. He has knocked off a lot of great players. You must be having a ball sweating his matches. I have always liked John and his game, for a little guy he can move the cueball around with such ease. He is entertaining and is one of the few players I've seen who will draw the cueball 3 or 4 rails to get better position, also, he is one of the finest full cue jump artists I have ever seen, if they ever ban the jump cue completely he will have a distinct advantage over most in this area. I hope he wins it all. Despite what a few naysayers have said I know for a fact that he has a ton of heart and it would be great for him to prove it to all with a US Open win.

Unknown

just another banger
Silver Member
your big heartedness is really payin off john is playin great pool right now, best of luck to the both of you the rest of the way.

emptypockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman: It was a great pleasure to just meet you & Skins at the tourney. Best of luck to you & John tomorrow. Continued suceess couldn't happen to two nicer guys!!!!!