i got talked into gambling tonight.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a former team mate that I had not seen in several months pop in the pool hall during league tonight. I was playing 9 ball vs a 2 the last match and trying like heck not to lose lol. After I won the former team mate comes up and starts ragging me about he heard I lost 8 ball earlier 4-1 vs another 5. I said yea...i was off a lil and playing with a stick I have only shot bout 10 racks with over the 6 years I have had it. Told him I was trying to get used to it as it hit a whole lot different than my meucci. Was playing with a g core shaft McDermott.

He said what are you now ? I said ...still a 5 in both. He said I see you are still sandbagging. I replied...i been called a sandbagger so much that last week I decided to text the lo and said I wanted to change my name on the scoresheet. To xxx the bagger. He said..no you didn't. I said yea I did and he said he was gonna change it.

He then pops up and says ...i will play you 8 ball race to 7 for a 100.00. Oh yea...before I go any farther. This guy was a 5 and on my team and quit a year ago saying apa was a sissy league and he was gonna start playing strictly tournaments.

I told him I did not have a 100.00 on me and I had not gambled in quite a few years. He replied I couldn't beat him anyway. I replied I could beat him back then...now ...and a year from now. He says..prove it. I say ok but all I got on me is 50.00. He said lets pls for that. Well the captain of the other team had heard this conversation and comes ber and tells the other guy he has 20.00 on me id he wants it. The guy says ok. Well the other captain hands me 20.00 and says he has to go and if I win we can settle up later.

I win the flip and promptly put up a break and run. Next rack I rattle the pocket on my last ball trying to get shape on the 8 and he runs out. That shook my confidence a lil and he gets up 3-1. Mind you I am playin with a cue I aint used to and I tell myself....jist knuckle down and focus...the cue is gonna go where you hit it no matter what kinda shaft you are playing with. I wind up tying it 3-3. He gets up 4-3. I tie it 4-4 and tell myself. Now its a race to 3....quit trying low percentage shots and start locking him up. I played 6 safes the 9 rack and went up 5-4. When I sunk the 8 I could tell he was upset...actually he was pissed off and threw his cue on the floor and started racking...his girlfriend who was watching picked his cue up off the floor.

I thought...now I got him where I want him and went on to win 7-4.

After I won he says....i can't believe you come back like that. I said ...what else do you expect from a sandbagger? that really pissed him off .

I really don't like to gamble but I just had to put the smart ass in his place and the 50.00 was icing on the cake. I txt the other captain and told him I had his money. he replied he shoulda covered the other 30.00 also cause he really liked the odds of me winning.

I know 50.00 is peanuts to ya'll serious gamblers but what can I say ? I know I aint nothing but an apa nit and and barely above banger status lol.

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy sounds like a real piece of work. So glad you ended up beating him after all that barking. Good shooting.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quit now

it doesn't pay to gamble

pool is bad enough,but once you start gambling you are crossing the line

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Love guys like this...

You should of slipped his girlfriend $10 for cab fare. He probably would of fainted.:grin:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love stories like this! Guys like him ruin pool for me. I made a new policy for myself a while ago, I will not gamble with anyone who I wouldn't hang out and have a beer with. Pool, gambling included, should be fun.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quit now
it doesn't pay to gamble <====It does unless you make a bad bet
WRONG!

The correct thing to do is to turn the opponent into a regular customer.
Be polite to him, buy him a drink, tell a few jokes about yourself, introduce him to some girls, get him to play some more.....but always tell him you're on short money. After the game, ask him for advice on how he handles certain shots...his ego will puff him up like a giant balloon. That's when you own him....and never let him know.
Then keep on draining him a little at a time. He'll be good as a customer for at least a year if you manage him properly. That's good action right there....get yourself a dozen like him and you can pick up an easy $15,000 a year or more in extra money without any hard work or saying "yessir boss" on a part time job, or making anyone mad.
Before long, and before anyone realizes it, you'll be controlling all the action in the pool room and the house man, waitresses, and bartenders will love you. The real players will be looking for you as a stakehorse...you'll get tipped in on all the games that are fixed and you'll know which way the river is flowing.
You younger guys should learn how to take someone's money and still have them liking you and wanting to play you......not wanting to beat you up.
THAT's how you make easy money playing pool. Not by trying to match up with the big dogs or being a donkey.
Get smart....get spots...get pity...give 'em "help me I'm scared" routines........and you walk away with all the cash and nobody is waiting in the parking lot to throw gasoline on you and toss a match or bust you in the head with a baseball bat as you unlock your car.
Gambling at pool can be fun and profitable, if you use your brains.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like the damage already has been done. if a rematch that guy is going to want some weight after being drilled 7-4.
turning that guy into a regular customer sounds like a lot of stress. the guy is a prikk, and at this point forward you would have to make an effort to get along with the guy. that's not a fun way to spend the time in the poolroom. the only fun thing about all that is getting the money at the end but the process to get that money is a feeling of revulsion.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a former team mate that I had not seen in several months pop in the pool hall during league tonight. I was playing 9 ball vs a 2 the last match and trying like heck not to lose lol. After I won the former team mate comes up and starts ragging me about he heard I lost 8 ball earlier 4-1 vs another 5. I said yea...i was off a lil and playing with a stick I have only shot bout 10 racks with over the 6 years I have had it. Told him I was trying to get used to it as it hit a whole lot different than my meucci. Was playing with a g core shaft McDermott.

He said what are you now ? I said ...still a 5 in both. He said I see you are still sandbagging. I replied...i been called a sandbagger so much that last week I decided to text the lo and said I wanted to change my name on the scoresheet. To xxx the bagger. He said..no you didn't. I said yea I did and he said he was gonna change it.

He then pops up and says ...i will play you 8 ball race to 7 for a 100.00. Oh yea...before I go any farther. This guy was a 5 and on my team and quit a year ago saying apa was a sissy league and he was gonna start playing strictly tournaments.

I told him I did not have a 100.00 on me and I had not gambled in quite a few years. He replied I couldn't beat him anyway. I replied I could beat him back then...now ...and a year from now. He says..prove it. I say ok but all I got on me is 50.00. He said lets pls for that. Well the captain of the other team had heard this conversation and comes ber and tells the other guy he has 20.00 on me id he wants it. The guy says ok. Well the other captain hands me 20.00 and says he has to go and if I win we can settle up later.

I win the flip and promptly put up a break and run. Next rack I rattle the pocket on my last ball trying to get shape on the 8 and he runs out. That shook my confidence a lil and he gets up 3-1. Mind you I am playin with a cue I aint used to and I tell myself....jist knuckle down and focus...the cue is gonna go where you hit it no matter what kinda shaft you are playing with. I wind up tying it 3-3. He gets up 4-3. I tie it 4-4 and tell myself. Now its a race to 3....quit trying low percentage shots and start locking him up. I played 6 safes the 9 rack and went up 5-4. When I sunk the 8 I could tell he was upset...actually he was pissed off and threw his cue on the floor and started racking...his girlfriend who was watching picked his cue up off the floor.

After I won he says....i can't believe you come back like that. I said ...what else do you expect from a sandbagger? that really pissed him off .

I really don't like to gamble but I just had to put the smart ass in his place and the 50.00 was icing on the cake. I txt the other captain and told him I had his money. he replied he shoulda covered the other 30.00 also cause he really liked the odds of me winning.

I know 50.00 is peanuts to ya'll serious gamblers but what can I say ? I know I aint nothing but an apa nit and and barely above banger status lol.

Lorider: I have a Pool School scheduled on April 20-21-22 at high pockets. I would like to hear some more stories if you have time....randyg

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DEANOC is right

quit now

it doesn't pay to gamble

DEANO knows what he is talking about. Gambling is just a stepping
stone. The next thing you know you will be procrastinating, malingering,
and even slumbering in the bed.
jack

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WRONG!

Be polite to him, buy him a drink, tell a few jokes about yourself, introduce him to some girls, get him to play some more.....but always tell him you're on short money. After the game, ask him for advice on how he handles certain shots...his ego will puff him up like a giant balloon. That's when you own him....and never let him know.
Then keep on draining him a little at a time. He'll be good as a customer for at least a year if you manage him properly. That's good action right there....get yourself a dozen like him and you can pick up an easy $15,000 a year or more in extra money without any hard work or saying "yessir boss" on a part time job, or making anyone mad.
Before long, and before anyone realizes it, you'll be controlling all the action in the pool room and the house man, waitresses, and bartenders will love you. The real players will be looking for you as a stakehorse...you'll get tipped in on all the games that are fixed and you'll know which way the river is flowing.
You younger guys should learn how to take someone's money and still have them liking you and wanting to play you......not wanting to beat you up.
THAT's how you make easy money playing pool. Not by trying to match up with the big dogs or being a donkey.
Get smart....get spots...get pity...give 'em "help me I'm scared" routines........and you walk away with all the cash and nobody is waiting in the parking lot to throw gasoline on you and toss a match or bust you in the head with a baseball bat as you unlock your car.

Somebody gotta be the boss

No feeling like waking up with OPM.....other people's money.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack is right
pay attention to Jack

Between the two of us we have encouraged many players to give up gambling
while they still have a life

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WRONG!

Now there is a man with the nuts... Very well said Sir!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I got talked into marriage and here I am. Don't be so easily swayed, it may come with a lifetime of life.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Hi buddy,

very first: it s a difference to "gamble" or "to play to win". If you play for money even players- or "a bit" stronger opponents it s just about gettin yourself out of the comfort zone--- and then finally how you handle this.

Many recommend to gamble "to get mentally tougher"-- well- it s just about your own attitude. You can also see it as a sport and never gamble. There are enough exmaples, who are fine with this-- and (just my serious own opinion) for me it s the way to see it as a sport.

I have no problem with playing for money, if the circumstances are plain serious- to just let two players have a real fair game, without these sharking kiddy stuff-- where some clowns just start to make the other part crazy, angry or whatever.

i know, that many ppl like those "road stories" about how someone being sharked, and talking about how high the stakes are etc. -- but each to its own.

How Deanoc said: there is a border-- and if you don t know who you are- and what YOU want-- what YOU expect from this "game" (i say sport)...then you or any other player has a problem.

I have seen so many (also fanastic great players) players being torn down, jjust because they re not used to get mentally abused, intimidated. it s not just everyone s thing.
Everyone has to learn for himself, if he really likes to gamble- or if he s seeing really a sense in it.
Makin a living from pool on the road...well-- i have my very own sense about that. It s brutal-- and I strictly recommend everyone to get rid of such an idea.
That won money tastes twice as much better than earned money--- ok :) won money is nice.

I love to watch a big match between two great sportsman-- no matter how high the stake is-- if the players just try to demonstrate their abilites- and the pure skill will decide--- and not the circumstances around it--

I know enough guys, who say gambling is the way to get better--- but if I see some ppl already recommending teenagers to play for money.....i can drive nuts. again- that s about attitude, and for me it s the wrong way-- my own attitude. I ve seen too many guys around me who are just got lost outthere and finding themselves later in their life at a point- which is nothing but a one way street.

anyway- you gave that guy the right answer- funny story- and one thing i already loved to read: that you just played for the money that YOU have to gamble for. This is imo the very first thing you have to learn.. that if you play for money, it SHOULD be your OWN money.
And i don t know that many players who play for their own money :)

Like Bert K says: there are talkers and do ers -- and once you start to really gamble....you should be a Do er! If you re just a Talker.....you end like your opponent. I ve seen never make a Talker being able to talk a ball into a pocket :)