Brunswick Chalk

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a box of Brunswick billiard chalk which comes in a yellow box at the game room store the other day. The guy told me it was the exact same thing as Master chalk but I'm not sure. Does anybody know about this stuff?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both, and have spent the last year testing both and in my opinion they are not the same. I would estimate the Masters gives me about 6 inches more distance on a max draw shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I have Brunswick chalk in Blue. Comparing to Masters, it's noticeably different. It's less grittier than Masters, and applies very well.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Brunswick chalk in Blue. Comparing to Masters, it's noticeably different. It's less grittier than Masters, and applies very well.

Thanks for both replies. ctyhntr sounds like you recommend it over Masters then?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it the GC chalk? The 80s black label GC chalk is my favorite chalk ever

Yes, it's the Gold Crown in the yellow box. It's pretty good stuff, reminds me of the old school National Tournament Chalk that the local pool hall growing up had.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK well I guess you guys talked me into trying it. The box does make a big deal about how this is the "velvet" grade of chalk, so maybe there is something to that.

Thanks!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it's the Gold Crown in the yellow box. It's pretty good stuff, reminds me of the old school National Tournament Chalk that the local pool hall growing up had.

Oooooooooo I loved that old NCT chalk!! I wore out every cube of that I could get my hands on.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
must have been CNN...….
Rumor was that pre-flag Master had mercury in it and that supposed to have made it less dusty. Well, that turned out to be bogus. They put the flag on after 9/11 is all. NO formula difference. I've got some pre-flag and its no different from current stuff. BTW, MagicChalk gives Master at least the 6ball.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Fake news.

I just talked with Skip....here's his response. I knew this league player was unable to convince me otherwise........

Quote for Nemecek;
Yeah this whole “old” chalk business is nonsense and something that someone created a long time ago with zero information. It really started when we started to include the US Flag on our chalk label as a result of 9/11. Somehow someway somebody started the “rumor” that we changed our recipe when we added the flag. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Flag addition was simply to show our pride in being a US company and support of the victims and tragedy that was 9/11. It had absolutely nothing to do with formulas!!

Then we have this “lead” thing. I was never quite sure what or how you would include lead in a chalk recipe and interestingly you mentioned “dust” which actually never occurred to me. However, none of that is true either. Our formula has not changed at all since the beginning. Of course over time we have to source different raw material suppliers however the ingredients have always remained the same. How or why lead would have been a good idea I have no clue. Not even sure you could legally purchase or add lead dust even back in the 70’s.

So long story short…I think over time “guys” have dreamed up excuses for mis-cueing and it’s easy to blame the chalk, tip, cloth, table, the guy yelling at the next table, etc. But as far as all these rumors are concerned…they are just that…rumors and not based on any facts whatsoever.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I did not want to highjack this thread, but it's been a couple days and I really didn't want to start a new thread. Just looking for a short reply.

Does anybody know who manufactures VNEA labeled chalk. It has a silver wrapper. I would not think Valley makes their own chalk, but who knows?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not want to highjack this thread, but it's been a couple days and I really didn't want to start a new thread. Just looking for a short reply.

Does anybody know who manufactures VNEA labeled chalk. It has a silver wrapper. I would not think Valley makes their own chalk, but who knows?
Master or SilverCup most likely.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I've also heard the pre-flag masters has lead in it. :eek:

And every time someone tells me that I offer up a $1000 wager and nobody will take me up on it. Then I think, ok, too rich for their blood, let do a $100, nothing. Then I say lets do $10 and loser pays for the lead test kit from the hardware store. Still nothing. But man, they will repeat that shit till the cows come home.

Master Chalk is a competitor of mine, but I still don't like folks talking shit about their products. I've met Skip, he's a good dude. And no reason for folks to think the company "poisoned" millions of folks without an ounce of evidence. Time to stop with the non sense already. They've been in business, what, 100 years?? I mean, c'mon.

It's the same chalk, and they added a flag after 9/11 but the conspiracy theorists need to find nefarious reasons for the "change", and it's the lead story because it makes them sound like they have "insider" info, when they are actually the last person on the planet that would even be privy to such info if it actually existed.