I invented a 2 player cut-throat pool game!!!

I INVENTED A 2 PLAYER CUT-THROAT POOL GAME!!! (Game name: 2 player cut-Throat) or (short rack cut-throat) (fast cut-throat)

NOTE* THIS IS A 9ball/Cut-throat game NOT 8BALL.

Rules: Use the 9 ball rack and turn it to the side.
Each player picks their choice of solid balls or striped balls(you can
pick your balls before hand or whoever makes the first ball in can choose)
Put 4 solids on one side and 4 striped balls on the other side or mix them up.
Note* You must put the 9 ball in the middle.
So you should have a mix of 4 solid and 4 stripes and the 9 ball.
On break: If you make the 9 ball in you automatically win the game.
Game play: Each player makes other players balls in just like the 3 player game.
Then when all of their balls are gone you must make the 9 ball in.

*new rule* If you can make a triple combo using 2 of their balls and the 9 ball you automatically win the game.

Ball in hand may apply, also if you scratch you may take a ball out.(optional)

About me: My name is Benjamin i been playing pool for 27 years and i invented this
game like 10 years ago and i never showed anyone really kinda sad but its time to
share this terrific game please add me on my 12000 video music hall of fame if you want at
facebook/truehighcrew

*If anyone wants to rewrite the rules in a better format for me, that be very cool.*

Last edited:

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
What you are playing is called short rack 8 ball. Whether it’s your balls or your opponents is immaterial, you are just shooting in a category of balls followed by the game winning ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Cut Throat I think it would make more sense to use a 10 Ball rack. Who ever shoots after the break chooses high or low (1 - 5 or 6 - 10)...

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Short Rack 8 Ball, using the 9 Ball Rack?

I will be all over that. That's a great idea. I probably won't rack it sideways, though.

This sort of combines 8 Ball and 9 Ball; especially if the 8 on the break wins, instead of getting spotted.

I'm very open to suggestions i am sure i wont change much tho seems pretty sound to me overall but again very open to anything or just a better layout of the rules would be cool also :D

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Short Rack 8 Ball, using the 9 Ball Rack?

I will be all over that. That's a great idea. I probably won't rack it sideways, though.

This sort of combines 8 Ball and 9 Ball; especially if the 8 on the break wins, instead of getting spotted.

The local NAPA League does this, they call it Fast 8 ball. It’s done for tournaments to try and quicken the pace of play. Same 8 ball rules with the exception of having just 4 solids, 4 stripes and the 8 ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I INVENTED A 2 PLAYER CUT-THROAT POOL GAME!!! (Game name: 2 player cut-Throat) or (short rack cut-throat) (fast cut-throat)

Rules: Use the 9 ball rack and turn it to the side.
Each player picks their choice of solid balls or striped balls(you can
pick your balls before hand or whoever makes the first ball in can choose)
Put 4 solids on one side and 4 striped balls on the other side or mix them up.
Note* You must put the 9 ball in the middle.
So you should have a mix of 4 solid and 4 stripes and the 9 ball.
On break: If you make the 9 ball in you automatically win the game.
Game play: Each player makes other players balls in just like the 3 player game.
Then when all of their balls are gone you must make the 9 ball in.

*new rule* If you can make a triple combo using 2 of their balls and the 9 ball you automatically win the game.

Ball in hand may apply, also if you scratch you may take a ball out.(optional)

About me: My name is Benjamin i been playing pool for 27 years and i invented this
game like 10 years ago and i never showed anyone really kinda sad but its time to
share this terrific game please add me on my music hall of fame if you want at
facebook/truehighcrew

*If anyone wants to rewrite the rules in a better format for me, that be very cool.*
No disrespect here, but I'm confused why someone would ever choose to play cut throat with 2 players when they could play any other 2 player pool game? Cut throat seems to be the default game of choice recreational level pool players often choose to play if they have 3 players and don't want to have the odd player sit out games, or they are not familiar with 3-way 9-ball, but certainly not a game more serious pool players would ever choose to play.

As others here have commented, your game sounds no different than a short rack version of 8-ball - I see no difference as to whether the goal is to make your balls or make your opponent's balls first before you can shoot the final ball?

theres not many games to even choose from really to have one more cant hurt, I changed it up a little so its not like 8ball anymore its more its own thing right now ill have to remake this thread due to angry old people like your self lol

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
theres not many games to even choose from really to have one more cant hurt ...
You may want to look around for this book....

300Ways.jpg

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
theres not many games to even choose from really to have one more cant hurt, I changed it up a little so its not like 8ball anymore its more its own thing right now ill have to remake this thread due to angry old people like your self lol

Try the BCA Rule Book! LOL!!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local NAPA League does this, they call it Fast 8 ball. It’s done for tournaments to try and quicken the pace of play. Same 8 ball rules with the exception of having just 4 solids, 4 stripes and the 8 ball.

Fast 8 also requires the balls to be racked in a specific order.

You're new here aren't you, there's lots of angry old people so sometimes you just have to be angry yourself :)

Fast 8 also requires the balls to be racked in a specific order.

You're new here aren't you, there's lots of angry old people so sometimes you just have to be angry yourself :)

hehehe im not new to forums at all i know how nasty things can get and most of the time people are eager to put you down, specially if you have a good idea, regardless of a boring mini 8ball game this kinda has a mixture of all 3 games in it :))

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehehe im not new to forums at all i know how nasty things can get and most of the time people are eager to put you down, specially if you have a good idea, regardless of a boring mini 8ball game this kinda has a mixture of all 3 games in it :))

Well really, this is the short 8 ball game. Re-inventing the wheel pretty much. That is what people were pointing out. If you said you had a great new idea for a movie that involved two dumb people driving across country to deliver lost money you are likely to get the same responses.

You just put a 9 ball in there instead of the 8 ball and instead of shooting your side in you are shooting the opponents in which is exactly the same thing.

The key is not to keep fighting everyone that points out the game already exists, which is not easy with some idea a person got that they think is new. 99% of the time, it's not, but ego and pride keep the person from admiring it.

From 2012 same game https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=300077

"When having rooms in Alaska, we used to have tournaments and stuff.
We actually called it Fastrack 8-ball!
-snip-
The rules are Real simple. 9-ball rack - play 8-ball with 4of each suite.
Key is to make ball on the break.
Excellent tool for training weaker players how to develop patterns etc.
Markg"

Would be a nice game for new players, for anyone decent it would be similar to playing tic tac toe.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people think a 9 ball/cut-throat game is 8ball lol mind boggling

Yea it's almost like both games had the same rules or something.

I have a rule I go by usually, if one person tells me I'm a monkey I may laugh at them. If two say it, I may look in the mirror. If three say it, I'm buying bananas.
So if there are a bunch of people saying the game you posted is short rack 8 ball, who may be correct?

Last edited:
Again folks this isa 9ball/cut-throat like game not 8ball i dont read hate mail btw enjoy your rage and whisky and being alone in life.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...which is not easy with some idea a person got that they think is new. 99% of the time, it's not..."

This is true of almost all new ideas.

In my experience of "new ideas", my rule of thumb is if it truly is a "new idea" you can bet there are 50,000 other people in the world who have thought of it within the same time frame as well.