JAM please read

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
JAM,

I went home last weekend to Paducah and ran into Buddy Hall at Side Pockets Billiards. We played for a one hole for a few hours and got a little long rack bank ring game going. He wanted me to tell you and Keith hello for him and to wish you guys all the best. Buddy and I have become good friends over the past few years and he spoke highly of you two. Just wanted to drop that line to ya.

Have a good Saturday,

Aaron

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bomber said:
JAM,

I went home last weekend to Paducah and ran into Buddy Hall at Side Pockets Billiards. We played for a one hole for a few hours and got a little long rack bank ring game going. He wanted me to tell you and Keith hello for him and to wish you guys all the best. Buddy and I have become good friends over the past few years and he spoke highly of you two. Just wanted to drop that line to ya.

Have a good Saturday,

Aaron

how is buddy`s health?

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
He is doing ok now...he had some problems a few months back but things are going well. He is looking forward to doing the commentary for the action report. He had great things to say about those guys. He seems a bit down since Blackie died...but we all are. He was a real treat to have around the last year or so. I have been very fortunate to have those two around me. Great players and great people.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sending Buddy's good wishes. Keith loves Buddy like a brother, and I can't say enough good things about this great man.

A few years ago at the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, I was furious at Keith. He was happy as a clam to be in Goldsboro and playing in the tournament, which he did, but he wouldn't go to sleep when the tournament matches ended. Keith wanted to gamble all night long. No surprise here, I guess. :eek:

Later on, I sat down with Buddy, and we had a long chat about Keith. Blackie was there, too. I was seeking advice. Believe me, the tournament trail was a rough road for a gal like me, and Buddy probably knows Keith better than I do in many ways.

Soon Keith moseys on over to sit down with us. Buddy spoke to Keith addressing some of my concerns in a polite manner, and I had never seen Keith respond to anyone like Buddy. He took Buddy's words to heart, and believe me, it was one of those life-defining moments for Keith and me both. We left Goldsboro with a lot more than we came with, thanks to Buddy Hall. :p

Buddy Hall exemplifies what it is to be a great champion, and he ain't afraid to tell it like it is. He's seen it all when it comes to pool. When Buddy talks, everybody listens, including Keith McCready. I admire him a great deal. :)

Here's the very first picture I ever took of Keith and Buddy Hall and his lovely wife at the U.S. Open. I can't remember which year, but it was early 2000's. I remember Buddy's wife saying to me it was so refreshing to see two people so happy, like me and Keith were that day. Man, I had so much enthusiasm for pool at that time. Being at the U.S. Open that year was a real treat, and I had a blast. :D

JAM

Attachments

• Keith Buddy and Mrs hall.JPG
    Keith Buddy and Mrs hall.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 418

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall has been a father figure to many young pool players over the years, giving them erudite advice. He probably will be mad at me for calling him a father figure, but he knows I love him.

Besides being one of the greatest pool players that ever lived, Buddy is a very bright individual, with down home "country" advice that always gets right to the point. He is Pool's answer to Dr. Phil. Ha Ha Ha, I like that line myself.

I just wish he would lose 100 pounds and stick around another 25 years. He is a treasure in the pool world!

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
There's Always A Chance

jay helfert said:
I just wish he would lose 100 pounds and stick around another 25 years. He is a treasure in the pool world!

I agree and I've discussed this with Buddy more than once. Buddy is four months older than I and we're about the same weight/size. I changed my diet a few weeks ago (no more sweets, fried food, desserts, pizza, etc.) in order to stick around a few more years.

But my wife and I went to dinner last Friday with AZBer Bill O. and I ordered the fried seafood platter. I ate the baked potato, the cole slaw and a couple of shrimp and 1 piece of fish and brought the rest home for the cat (she's only 12 lbs and refuses to go on a diet)....

Maybe if I lose enough weight, I'll start playing pool again and pump up some of the local players.
Doug

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I was playing pool for over 30 years when I met Buddy. I probably learned more in one day from him than I did in all those years. Johnnyt

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie Bryant told me that when he was up and coming, he ran into Buddy at a tourney somewhere and meeting him and talking to him for a little while, Charlie was inspired enough to go all out with this pro pool thing.

Charlie tells the story better than me, but you can tell that Charlie looks up to Buddy Hall 100%.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I agree and I've discussed this with Buddy more than once. Buddy is four months older than I and we're about the same weight/size. I changed my diet a few weeks ago (no more sweets, fried food, desserts, pizza, etc.) in order to stick around a few more years.

But my wife and I went to dinner last Friday with AZBer Bill O. and I ordered the fried seafood platter. I ate the baked potato, the cole slaw and a couple of shrimp and 1 piece of fish and brought the rest home for the cat (she's only 12 lbs and refuses to go on a diet)....

Maybe if I lose enough weight, I'll start playing pool again and pump up some of the local players.
Doug

CONGRATS on your decision,hang in:)

Railbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Thanks for sending Buddy's good wishes. Keith loves Buddy like a brother, and I can't say enough good things about this great man.

A few years ago at the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, I was furious at Keith. He was happy as a clam to be in Goldsboro and playing in the tournament, which he did, but he wouldn't go to sleep when the tournament matches ended. Keith wanted to gamble all night long. No surprise here, I guess. :eek:

Later on, I sat down with Buddy, and we had a long chat about Keith. Blackie was there, too. I was seeking advice. Believe me, the tournament trail was a rough road for a gal like me, and Buddy probably knows Keith better than I do in many ways.

Soon Keith moseys on over to sit down with us. Buddy spoke to Keith addressing some of my concerns in a polite manner, and I had never seen Keith respond to anyone like Buddy. He took Buddy's words to heart, and believe me, it was one of those life-defining moments for Keith and me both. We left Goldsboro with a lot more than we came with, thanks to Buddy Hall. :p

Buddy Hall exemplifies what it is to be a great champion, and he ain't afraid to tell it like it is. He's seen it all when it comes to pool. When Buddy talks, everybody listens, including Keith McCready. I admire him a great deal. :)

Here's the very first picture I ever took of Keith and Buddy Hall and his lovely wife at the U.S. Open. I can't remember which year, but it was early 2000's. I remember Buddy's wife saying to me it was so refreshing to see two people so happy, like me and Keith were that day. Man, I had so much enthusiasm for pool at that time. Being at the U.S. Open that year was a real treat, and I had a blast. :D

JAM

Hey Jennie,

Now that's quite an avatar, how much fun are those three having?

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Buddy spoke to Keith addressing some of my concerns in a polite manner, and I had never seen Keith respond to anyone like Buddy. He took Buddy's words to heart, and believe me, it was one of those life-defining moments for Keith and me both. We left Goldsboro with a lot more than we came with, thanks to Buddy Hall. :pJAM
Jennie, thanks for sharing such a personally meaningful moment. And you're right to say that a moment or two in time can be "life-defining," one way or the other!