I know this has been discussed but I have to decided...

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
That I cannot watch WPBA pool on ESPN anymore...i simply cannot stand everyone clapping after each shot. The ladies played great but how damn annoying!!!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
bomber said:
That I cannot watch WPBA pool on ESPN anymore...i simply cannot stand everyone clapping after each shot. The ladies played great but how damn annoying!!!!

Yes I'm finished with it too. It really has got old. Johnnyt

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I haven't watched it for quite a while and for the same reason... well... that and Mitch.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
The worst is when someone sinks a ball accidentally and ends up getting hooked, and the audience starts clapping like it was a great shot.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
How come they are so stupid they do that?

It doesn't sound anyhow natural, as the clapping is always similar - so it's obvious it's just methodical clapping. No real cheer in it.

The audience has been clearly asked to clap after each shot. Why don't they change it before it's too late..

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Now watching those filipinos clapping after every shot Efren makes when it's hill-hill; that's the **** I love.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
bomber said:

No doubt, when you watch football, it makes you crazy when the crowd cheers after the extra point, a 98% proposition, is made.

No doubt, when you watch basketball, it makes you crazy when the fans cheer after a made foul shot, an 80% proposition.

When you watch golf, the applause after a two foot putt, a 97% prorposition, is holed can be loud, which must drive you nuts.

When watching major league baseball, you must go insane when a batter drawing an intentional walk is cheered, for he hasn't accomplished anything at all.

Sports fans cheer when they feel like it, and not based on an intricate understanding of what in-competition feats merit applause.

Yes, the nature of their applause shows that most pool fans attending WPBA events are not very knowledgeable or skillful players, but so what? Is it any different at the pool halls, where a woman that runs three balls will be hailed as the next superstar in women's pool by ignorant men who have little respect for the skill level of women pool players. Good woman pool players are aplenty, but great woman pool players are a rare and precious commodity, deserving of all the applause they get.

If you enjoy WPBA pool but are hung up on the fact the fans are unkowledgeable, turn down the sound.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the pool on TV last night too and I wanted to strangle the audience. It was stupid. Someone accidently makes a ball on a safety play and the crowd goes wild! What are they clapping for? It's really lame.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
No doubt, when you watch football, it makes you crazy when the crowd cheers after the extra point, a 98% proposition, is made.

No doubt, when you watch basketball, it makes you crazy when the fans cheer after a made foul shot, an 80% proposition.

When you watch golf, the applause after a two foot putt, a 97% prorposition, is holed can be loud, which must drive you nuts.

When watching major league baseball, you must go insane when a batter drawing an intentional walk is cheered, for he hasn't accomplished anything at all.

Sports fans cheer when they feel like it, and not based on an intricate understanding of what in-competition feats merit applause.

Yes, the nature of their applause shows that most pool fans attending WPBA events are not very knowledgeable or skillful players, but so what? Is it any different at the pool halls, where a woman that runs three balls will be hailed as the next superstar in women's pool by ignorant men who have little respect for the skill level of women pool players. Good woman pool players are aplenty, but great woman pool players are a rare and precious commodity, deserving of all the applause they get.

If you enjoy WPBA pool but are hung up on the fact the fans are unkowledgeable, turn down the sound.

fair point, but the fans being unknowledgeable is not the whole issue. the main point is that the producers are obviously asking the crowd to applaud every shot. which is really stupid.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
sjm said:

The extra point is kicked one time per touchdown. Not each time the team passes or rushes the ball.

Total freethrows in a game average about 40 - or the equivalent of 4.5 racks of 9-ball.

Because the putt could be meaningful, like winning the masters, or it could have capped off a sensational hole played.

How many walks occur in a game of baseball? 15? 20? Again, about the equivalent of 2 racks of 9-ball.

Unless you're watching pool being taped by ESPN.

Yet when the men play on ESPN, we don't get the same applause. Do they want to be patronized?

Or just stop the clapping.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of when Ga Young Kim two rail kicked while safe to leave a safety in return and she made the shot in the corner on accident and they all cheered thinking she planned to make it.. but she didnt want to make it. she would've had Xiaoting Pan hooked if she didnt make it which was the plan but the audience was so ignorant it makes me wonder why they go to watch if they dont understand the game...

Then again I watch for the skills they have and their choices on how to play certain shots and what not not for the audiences reaction. I'm watching to learn anything I can.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
I don?t like it either, EVERY FREAKING SHOT!!!
A lot of the shots do deserve 3x-taps, but not on every singe elementary shot. It is annoying. I think they should get a sign for the audience that says "please hold applause for the conclusion of the game".

I can?t imagine that the players like that crap either, how distracting.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I have personally never really noticed the clapping, I'm going to watch a few telecast just to see if they really do clap after each shot. When I watch I'm watching so as to learn something, to see how the pro's play certain shot and position situations. So, truely I couldn't care less. It will be interesting to find out about the clapping though.

Black Cat :cool:

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Black Cat 5791 said:
I have personally never really noticed the clapping, I'm going to watch a few telecast just to see if they really do clap after each shot. When I watch I'm watching so as to learn something, to see how the pro's play certain shot and position situations. So, truely I couldn't care less. It will be interesting to find out about the clapping though.

Black Cat :cool:

As soon as you notice it; you won't be able to tune it out!!
Every freaking shot!! It is absurd.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There are enough WPBA members and powers that be that read this board. It's probably about 95 percent against the clapping for evey shot. While they are looking for a bigger fan base of non-pool players, they are going to lose the pool players that watch it now to this silly clapping crap and short races...and they probably don't care. Johnnyt