US Open seeded

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was surprized that they were seeding this years open.
Totally sucks.
If you want a fair event then it should be fair from the start
where everyone has the same chance in the draw.
Any thoughts?
mrs.g

Rules for the 2007 U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships

THE CUTOFF FOR PLAYER ENTRY IS 3 P.M. ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14TH. THE PLAYER MEETING AND DRAW WILL BE AT 3 P.M.

$50 LATE FEE BEGINS ON OCTOBER 8TH, NO EXCEPTIONS. PLAYERS, GET YOUR MONEY IN.

TOURNAMENT WILL BEGIN AT 7 P.M. ON OCTOBER 14, 2007. WE EXPECT A FULL FIELD OF 256 PLAYERS.

BARRY IS ADDING OVER $80,000 WITH FULL FIELD TOTAL PRIZE FUND EQUALS $200,000

THIS YEAR FIRST PRIZE WILL BE $50,000

PAYING 96 PLACES

PAST CHAMPIONS PLEASE BRING YOU GREEN JACKETS OR GREEN SWEATER IF YOU WANT A FREE ENTRY.

THE EVENT IS CO-SANCTIONED WITH THE UPA AND WPA AND WILL SEED 16 PLAYERS FROM EACH AS WELL AS, 16 OTHER SEEDS, PROMOTERS DISCRETION.

RULES

RACE TO 11 DOUBLE ELIMINATION FINALS ARE POTEINTIALLY ONE RACE TO 13. BARRY IS PONDERING.

USING THE CAMELLION RACK

ONE BALL ON THE SPOT, BREAKBOX

BARRY IS HAVING REFEREES THIS YEAR, AND THEY WILL RACK

WINNER BREAKS

NO SOFT BREAKS

40 SECOND SHOT CLOCK

Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not too familiar with seeding in past events but one way to look at it is your going to have to beat who ever anyway and maybe this will draw more of the top players who feel they shouldnt be matched up by the draw right off the bat against the top player also.There's been mumblings about the asians being put up against each other from the get go to try and thin them out from the money in the past. Why should say efren travel from half way around the world to have to play a road player who's red hot for say one night and lose and be eliminated almost right out of the gate.They have seeding in other sports and the top players deserve some respect IMO. I also LOVE the shot clock!!!!!!!! About time. They should also limit those bs sharking time outs also to go smoke a few cig ....hey..if you have go to the potty thats fine .:D :D

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
My opinions:
Seeding is ok.
Shot clock is too short at 40 secs. 1 min would be preferable.
Winner breaks is good.
Double elimination should be double elimination, including the final match.
Breakbox and "no soft break" is wrong. Who decides what is soft?
Referees racking is a good thing.
Chamellion rack? We'll see.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, the seeding of players is directly tied to the UPA sanctioning. It is something the UPA insists on having.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
IIRC, the seeding of players is directly tied to the UPA sanctioning. It is something the UPA insists on having.
Doesn't matter who insists...... it's still unfair. If these players are so good they'll find treir way to the top all by their self.

kjmason

Seeding

The seeding doesn't look any different then any other year at the open. Most of the rules look pretty much the same as last year. Previously they defined a legal break (vice a soft-break) as some number of balls (I can't remember) crossing past the side pockets.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
i think it's fair... anyone can earn the right to be seeded if they put enough time and effort into becoming a great player. it also makes for a better tournament. i think it would be more unfair for a b player to cruise through a whole bracket of similar players while a pro goes 2 and out because his draw was filled with champions. seeding weeds these weaker players out and makes the results more predictable according to skill level. most people who claim seeding to be unfair are undeserving of it in the first place. practice and get better... just my opinion on it.

Reactions: sjm

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know

Snapshot9 said:
Here are the rules: (page down)

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/play2007.php

It does not say 'Winners break', and it is break from anywhere.

And another website had that they are using the Diamond 'Club Rack' this
year for racking.

Mine is a cut and paste from US Open web site

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/rules2007.php

THE CUTOFF FOR PLAYER ENTRY IS 3 P.M. ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14TH. THE PLAYER MEETING AND DRAW WILL BE AT 3 P.M.

TOURNAMENT WILL BEGIN AT 7 P.M. ON OCTOBER 14, 2007. WE EXPECT A FULL FIELD OF 256 PLAYERS.

PAYING 96 PLACES

PAST CHAMPIONS PLEASE BRING YOU GREEN JACKETS OR GREEN SWEATER IF YOU WANT A FREE ENTRY.

THE EVENT IS CO-SANCTIONED WITH THE UPA AND WPA AND WILL SEED 16 PLAYERS FROM EACH AS WELL AS, 16 OTHER SEEDS, PROMOTERS DISCRETION.

RULES

RACE TO 11 DOUBLE ELIMINATION FINALS ARE POTEINTIALLY ONE RACE TO 13. BARRY IS PONDERING.

USING THE CAMELLION RACK

WINNER BREAKS

NO SOFT BREAKS

40 SECOND SHOT CLOCK

So it seems they have two different sets of rules on the same web site

Mrs.g

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I wouldn't seed any players myself, but I don't feel to strongly against it.
It can be good for the weak players, because there will be less very strong players in the first losers round, preventing a quick two-and-out.
And it provides for more big names to go further in the tournament, which is always nice for the viewers.
Barry is pondering about the double-elim finals, well that I do feel strongly about it should be double-elim IMO for sure.
Past champions have to bring their jacket? Don't they recognize Corey, Earl and John?

gr. Dave

D

Danny Harriman

Hello ball rollers

I played in a 9 ball event when this rule of a certain amount (3 ball's) had to pass the side pocket, what a joke this was. Everyone in their monkeys uncle eventually followed in Corey's footsteps and learned how to read the rack and make the corner ball by breaking soft. It was obvious to the players that defected corner ball problem was an issue that had to be addressed, the fans found the soft break unappealing compared to the more explosive and or athletic break where the cue ball stops in the middle. So i played in the first event where the 3 ball rule was in place. What a headache, I broke much softer than normal once I figured out which corner ball was most likely to succeed. The one ball caught the point of the side pocket and went back towards the rack end and only two balls made it past the side, my opponent who was also breaking soft yelled foul. But the one ball did in fact make it past the side or did it. What a huge mess, can anyone understand we need to play ten ball? But the reason we do not play ten ball is because it's not accepted as an international rotation sport as 9 ball. I think it's because people are afraid of change, they may agree but because of the popularity of The motion picture "The Color Of Money" it's the accepted game. If only in the movie the game would have been 10 ball, unfortunately for most people before they can let it all hang down we must receive approval from our neighbor. Well if you ask all of the top players today would they rather play ten ball or 9 95% would say ten ball is your answer. I realize from a promotional aspect that changing the game to ten ball would not make much difference if any at all. I'm only talking from a student of the game's perspective, but this just shows once again that the players are not in charge.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (14.1 enthusiast)

dave sutton

Banned
Danny Harriman said:
I played in a 9 ball event when this rule of a certain amount (3 ball's) had to pass the side pocket, what a joke this was. Everyone in their monkeys uncle eventually followed in Corey's footsteps and learned how to read the rack and make the corner ball by breaking soft. It was obvious to the players that defected corner ball problem was an issue that had to be addressed, the fans found the soft break unappealing compared to the more explosive and or athletic break where the cue ball stops in the middle. So i played in the first event where the 3 ball rule was in place. What a headache, I broke much softer than normal once I figured out which corner ball was most likely to succeed. The one ball caught the point of the side pocket and went back towards the rack end and only two balls made it past the side, my opponent who was also breaking soft yelled foul. But the one ball did in fact make it past the side or did it. What a huge mess, can anyone understand we need to play ten ball? But the reason we do not play ten ball is because it's not accepted as an international rotation sport as 9 ball. I think it's because people are afraid of change, they may agree but because of the popularity of The motion picture "The Color Of Money" it's the accepted game. If only in the movie the game would have been 10 ball, unfortunately for most people before they can let it all hang down we must receive approval from our neighbor. Well if you ask all of the top players today would they rather play ten ball or 9 95% would say ten ball is your answer. I realize from a promotional aspect that changing the game to ten ball would not make much difference if any at all. I'm only talking from a student of the game's perspective, but this just shows once again that the players are not in charge.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (14.1 enthusiast)

i agree. 9ball is a faster more appealing sport. its amazing how much the rack and that 1 extra ball makes. hard to break 2 balls in playing 10 ball. thats all we practice. huge difference

your situation about the 1 ball hitting the point. i feel thats a legal break. it did get to the side pocket. however i thought the rule was 4 balls past not 3 balls. guess it depends on the event or maybe 4 balls have to hit a rail.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger said:
I was surprized that they were seeding this years open.
Totally sucks.
If you want a fair event then it should be fair from the start
where everyone has the same chance in the draw.
Any thoughts?
mrs.g

PAYING 96 PLACES

RULES

USING THE CAMELLION RACK

WINNER BREAKS

NO SOFT BREAKS

40 SECOND SHOT CLOCK

Seeding can and will only help the event in the long run. They seed the tennis players at the US Open, makes for a better product and better crowds with each bracket building and some up and comer always having to play one of the greats to make it into the late rounds. "I know there are many great players yadee yadee, but to make it a true "sport" (which in the US we have struggled with that for (DECADES) or should we make it more of a crap shoot? Sounds like you want to keep it the way it has always been and not change anything WHY, because thats the way it was, THAT is not a good reason. No one should be able to sneak through a bracket to the quarter finals just because of luck of the draw(I know they have to play good), it would be possible to have the top ten in one bracket of 32, that would suck.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
branpureza said:
i think it's fair... anyone can earn the right to be seeded if they put enough time and effort into becoming a great player. it also makes for a better tournament. i think it would be more unfair for a b player to cruise through a whole bracket of similar players while a pro goes 2 and out because his draw was filled with champions. seeding weeds these weaker players out and makes the results more predictable according to skill level. most people who claim seeding to be unfair are undeserving of it in the first place. practice and get better... just my opinion on it.

Superb post. Bravo!

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
branpureza said:

I'm really hoping that your not directing that quote at me. I think that anyone that pays 500 dollars should be treated equal.
I happen to believe that everyone starts off at the same starting place.
I also think that people can share their thoughts and have a great discussion.
Just my opinion .
mrs.g
:)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger said:
I'm really hoping that your not directing that quote at me. I think that anyone that pays 500 dollars should be treated equal.
Just my opinion .
mrs.g
Whats $500 got to do with it, there are players from overseas that probably invested 3-$4,000 to get here and back and housing and food etc., should they be treated different because of what they spent? They seed teams in the NCAA 64 tournament, they seed player groupings in the PGA on Sat and Sunday. They seed in all pro men/womens tennis. The NFL readjusts teams play schedule each year depending on prior performances, and on and on. There must be a reason Batman, tell me why, I want to learn and grow :cool:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger said:
Just my opinion .
mrs.g

Of course it's not directed toward you... the Open doesn't allow women.