DCC AZ.com One Pocket Tourney Update

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
Well, the tables are secure. We have 8 tables for use for as long as we need them for the AZbilliards.com One Pocket Tourney at Olivers Billiards in Louisville, Ky. The action will take place on January 5th, 2008 at Olivers Billiards in Louisville Kentucky. Registration will begin at 12:00. Practice time from 12:00-1:00...calcutta at 1:00.

Race to 2...single elimination (for time constraints)...$50.00 entry fee...100% payback to player minus expenses for time.

Payout for tourney as follows:
1st Place: 400.00 plus 60% calcutta money
2nd Place:250.00 plus 30% calcutta money
3rd Place:100.00 plus 10% calcutta money
4th Place: 50.00

You can visit Oliver's Billiard at www.oliversbilliards.com

PLEASE POST IF YOU ARE STILL PLANNING ON PLAYING OR ARE WANTING TO PLAY. OPEN TO VETERAN AZBILLIARDS.COM or ONEPOCKET.ORG MEMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to get a good feel of who is going to play so that I can plan on making this event possible.

Rules: Standard one pocket rules will apply. Alternate break. Flip for opening break. No jump cues. If any part of the ball is touching the line then it is considered behind the line and unshootable. All questionable hits go to the shooter, unless ref is called for a hit (myself or another player agreed upon by both players.) If a ball is "forgotten" or "slept" the ball will be spotting after both players finish an inning.

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
Ps!!!!!

I am sure that eliminated players will be able to use our tables for the duration of the tourney as long as we are gracious to host, spend a bit of money in drinks and food to the house, and tip out waiters/waitresses. Remember...be nice to the locals! LOL

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
I will accept early registrations as well. I will be hanging around the Derby on Friday day and night. I will be playing in the bank tourney on Friday so hit me up anytime. I am easy to spot...i am the guy who wears bob dylan tshirts and drinks alot of bourbon...or better yet...ill be around the az room quite a bit.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll try it.

bomber said:
I will accept early registrations as well. I will be hanging around the Derby on Friday day and night. I will be playing in the bank tourney on Friday so hit me up anytime. I am easy to spot...i am the guy who wears bob dylan tshirts and drinks alot of bourbon...or better yet...ill be around the az room quite a bit.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bomber said:
Well, the tables are secure. We have 8 tables for use for as long as we need them for the AZbilliards.com One Pocket Tourney at Olivers Billiards in Louisville, Ky. The action will take place on January 5th, 2008 at Olivers Billiards in Louisville Kentucky. Registration will begin at 12:00. Practice time from 12:00-1:00...calcutta at 1:00.

Race to 2...single elimination (for time constraints)...$50.00 entry fee...100% payback to player minus expenses for time.

Payout for tourney as follows:
1st Place: 400.00 plus 60% calcutta money
2nd Place:250.00 plus 30% calcutta money
3rd Place:100.00 plus 10% calcutta money
4th Place: 50.00

Aaron, if you don't mind some input....Back on your first post about this possible tournament you suggested $25 or $50 entry and double elimination.....That said, everybody hates single elimination cuz you don't get much 'bang for your buck' - especially with only a race to two....I would think that with only 16 players we could finish a race to two, double elimination format in a day.....I've run race to three on the winners side, race to two in the losers bracket, double elimination one pocket tournaments with 28-32 players that we finished in a day..............Also, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that some of the other potential players (self-proclaimed donators - ^_^) might be more comfortable with a $25 or $35 entry, rather than $50.

- Ghost

Last edited:

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
Ghost and others,

I have recieved many about this tourney such as "raise the entry...lower the entry...race to three...double elim...single elim...base of the ball...sleepers..."
Of course, that doesnt surprise me one bit. I have been involved in athletics my whole life as a player and as a coach and this always happens...but at least I was paid for that! LOL ;) I have messed around with a few small pool tourneys as well and, of course, no one is ever happy. Everyone has a better way to do something...especially if they do not have to implement any of the rules or take responsibility for running the show.

I am having some friends coming in the weekend of the derby...so instead of volunteering my time, effort, and energy to run a tournament for the members of the forum, i think i will simply just spend the time with friends and enjoy the Derby...hastle free and stress free.

The reason for the higher entry fee is to boost the prize pool. Why miss the derby for a low payout. The race to two single elim. is out of my hand. Management decision from the host venue (Who, might I remind you, was willing to give up half their room for FREE!)

In no way am I upset with any people who having offered suggestions and input. I undertand that you think your ideas would make for a better tournament...but at the same time, people should just learn to accpet the rules as they are placed before them and go from there. Nothing bothers me more as a coach as input from the sidelines/bleachers. It is easy to do things as long as you stay on the other side of the fence.

Those who are still interested in a tournament at Olivers Billiards...set forth your rules, collect the entry fees, run the calcutta, act as a ref, do the payouts and stay for the duration of the event, while missing about 10 hours of one of the best pool tournaments in the world, while not collecting a single cent. I will call my friends and get you all set up. I will even stop by make sure that everything runs smoothly with the management, waiters, waitresses, etc...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
1 Pocket Ghost said:
Aaron, if you don't mind some input....Back on your first post about this possible tournament you suggested $25 or $50 entry and double elimination.....That said, everybody hates single elimination cuz you don't get much 'bang for your buck' - especially with only a race to two....I would think that with only 16 players we could finish a race to two, double elimination format in a day.....I've run race to three on the winners side, race to two in the losers bracket, double elimination one pocket tournaments with 28-32 players that we finished in a day..............Also, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that some of the other potential players (self-proclaimed donators - ^_^) might be more comfortable with a $25 or $35 entry, rather than $50.

- Ghost

The mini one pocket tournament that is held each year at the DCC has 32 players and it lasts about 8 hours, SINGLE ELIMINATION , race to TWO. FWIW.....
JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
bomber said:
Ghost and others,

I have recieved many about this tourney such as "raise the entry...lower the entry...race to three...double elim...single elim...base of the ball...sleepers..."
Of course, that doesnt surprise me one bit. I have been involved in athletics my whole life as a player and as a coach and this always happens...but at least I was paid for that! LOL ;) I have messed around with a few small pool tourneys as well and, of course, no one is ever happy. Everyone has a better way to do something...especially if they do not have to implement any of the rules or take responsibility for running the show.

I am having some friends coming in the weekend of the derby...so instead of volunteering my time, effort, and energy to run a tournament for the members of the forum, i think i will simply just spend the time with friends and enjoy the Derby...hastle free and stress free.

The reason for the higher entry fee is to boost the prize pool. Why miss the derby for a low payout. The race to two single elim. is out of my hand. Management decision from the host venue (Who, might I remind you, was willing to give up half their room for FREE!)

In no way am I upset with any people who having offered suggestions and input. I undertand that you think your ideas would make for a better tournament...but at the same time, people should just learn to accpet the rules as they are placed before them and go from there. Nothing bothers me more as a coach as input from the sidelines/bleachers. It is easy to do things as long as you stay on the other side of the fence.

Those who are still interested in a tournament at Olivers Billiards...set forth your rules, collect the entry fees, run the calcutta, act as a ref, do the payouts and stay for the duration of the event, while missing about 10 hours of one of the best pool tournaments in the world, while not collecting a single cent. I will call my friends and get you all set up. I will even stop by make sure that everything runs smoothly with the management, waiters, waitresses, etc...

OH.... I answered 1 pocket Ghost's post before yours. I was making my reservations (yeah I know it's kind of late but had some loose ends to tie up) when I started reading your post.

Aaron, if you're not going to spend your valuable time, catering to us ungrateful wretches I'm going to wait until Sunday to come into town since that is when the one pocket tournament starts. That will save me the cost of a room for one night and more.

Thanks for the heads-up. I understand that putting on a tournament of this sort is pretty stressful and understand your resignation.

JoeyA

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bomber said:
Ghost and others,

people should just learn to accpet the rules as they are placed before them and go from there. Nothing bothers me more as a coach as input from the sidelines/bleachers. It is easy to do things as long as you stay on the other side of the fence.

Sorry you feel that way Aaron......But considering what you just wrote, which I just pasted above, you're giving out mixed messages.....The following quote is what you initially stated when suggesting having this az mini-tournament >>>

bomber said:
please post and make some suggestions. bomber=QUOTE]