How long should a 100 point match take?

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Supposing the final score is 100 to 0. Not unheard in professional or advanced amateur play. I hour =3600 seconds/100=36 seconds per shot. 100 points = 7 racks plus 2 balls. How does 6 seconds per rack sound, reasonable? Now we are down to 3558 seconds. 35.58 seconds per shot. This is entirely possible. Sign me:

Dave(The Skeptic)Nelson

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am seeking opinions on this subject as local billiard room is considering giving league players a flat rate for league play rather than pay per hour. I realize there are variables such as player skill levels, high quantity of safety play, smoke breaks and bathroom breaks during the game....but it's my opinion that a 100 point match should be able to be comfortably played in 2 hours or less. I have tracked two matches so far and both have been competed with in the two hours. Going out for my third game this afternoon.

What do you think?

Dennis

I've personally run a 14.1 league in the past (as well as participated in it before I took it over) and can tell you from experience that some matches will go well beyond 2 hours. But not all of them will. It varies greatly on the level of the two players playing.

Sometimes it can just be a drag down, knock out safety fest... in which case some of our longest matches were 3 to 3 1/2 hours. And this did happen every week of the league. There was always one or two matches that took this long. On the flip end of this though, are the majority of players who get through a 100 point match in a shorter amount of time. But I would say the average is about 2 1/2 hours from what I saw in my experience.

One more note... the 14.1 league in which I participated and operated was a handicapped league (that changed every week based on whether you won or lost). If every person in your league is racing to 100 regardless of playing level, some matches will be long and some will be short. Just depends. 2 hours for the whole league to be finished is not very likely based on my experience, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Ray

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've personally run a 14.1 league in the past (as well as participated in it before I took it over) and can tell you from experience that some matches will go well beyond 2 hours. But not all of them will. It varies greatly on the level of the two players playing.

Sometimes it can just be a drag down, knock out safety fest... in which case some of our longest matches were 3 to 3 1/2 hours. And this did happen every week of the league. There was always one or two matches that took this long. On the flip end of this though, are the majority of players who get through a 100 point match in a shorter amount of time. But I would say the average is about 2 1/2 hours from what I saw in my experience.

One more note... the 14.1 league in which I participated and operated was a handicapped league (that changed every week based on whether you won or lost). If every person in your league is racing to 100 regardless of playing level, some matches will be long and some will be short. Just depends. 2 hours for the whole league to be finished is not very likely based on my experience, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Ray;
This is a handicapped league and not everyone would be racing to 100, although that may well be the case sometimes. From what I can tell 2.5 hours should be a safe time in the majority of games. Some will last longer especially if two "grinders" play each other. Thanks for your input.

Dennis

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Supposing the final score is 100 to 0. Not unheard in professional or advanced amateur play. I hour =3600 seconds/100=36 seconds per shot. 100 points = 7 racks plus 2 balls. How does 6 seconds per rack sound, reasonable? Now we are down to 3558 seconds. 35.58 seconds per shot. This is entirely possible. Sign me:

Dave(The Skeptic)Nelson

I remember once playing a league match about 12 years ago, the match was to 100 points. I was playing Jason Kane who is a very fast shooter, in fact I think he was a runner up in the world speed shooting championships. Anyway, he won the match something like 100-85, and I swear it only took 35 minutes to complete. Now granted me and Jason aren't exactly the type of players that minutely examine the pack and plan our runs in detail but even when I slow down it still goes pretty fast. After the match was over he looked at me and said we should play another match for the hell of it since after all we paid the green fee for the league match which would have been worth at least two hours of table time. So we played another which maybe took 45 minutes...so we finished two 100 point matches in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby

I do not doubt your word, but I repeat, you are far above the average. In fact, professional.

Dave Nelson

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby

I do not doubt your word, but I repeat, you are far above the average. In fact, professional.

Dave Nelson

Oh I'm far from professional, about B+ speed, I just shoot fast, I know I should slow down but it's less enjoyable to me when I play slower.