Gold Crown 3 issues.....??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been covered before but a search didn't get what i was looking for ,so: What is it that makes the 3 less desirable than the other versions? I've heard substandard slate, less robust frames and kinda wonky design issues. I know they play fine but from a build/maintenance standpoint what is it that makes the 3 the red-headed stepchild of Gold Crowns? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
they made the Gold Crown 3 longer than any other version. Yes, like all pool tables they have their issues, but, anyone who knows what they are doing can make it play and look excellent! Others may say different, just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am not a table mechanic but I gotta agree with Trent. Its a commercial Gold Crown, its a perfectly fine table that will last a lifetime. Wasn't it the GCIII's where they started having problems with the rail rubber getting hard early?? In my opinion with new cushions and cloth you have a Gold Crown as good as any other. I have a GCI with new cushions, 4 3/8" pockets, and modified sub-rail angles, the table plays great but I would rather have a GCV because of the flush mount pockets, that is just personal preference but so are the differences in the different Gold Crown models for the most part.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am not a table mechanic but I gotta agree with Trent. Its a commercial Gold Crown, its a perfectly fine table that will last a lifetime. Wasn't it the GCIII's where they started having problems with the rail rubber getting hard early?? In my opinion with new cushions and cloth you have a Gold Crown as good as any other. I have a GCI with new cushions, 4 3/8" pockets, and modified sub-rail angles, the table plays great but I would rather have a GCV because of the flush mount pockets, that is just personal preference but so are the differences in the different Gold Crown models for the most part.

I am wrapping up a pool room here in Toledo, Miss Cue South, 9 GC 3's. Complete restorations on all of them, they look the same and play the same. It is like they just started their life clock all over.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member

What's wrong with these GC1 pocket castings, do they sit to high?

Attachments

• received_1229320730456583_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320730456583_1024x1024.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,074
  • received_1229320780456578_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320780456578_1024x1024.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,074
  • received_1229320853789904_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320853789904_1024x1024.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,078
  • received_1229320247123298_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320247123298_1024x1024.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,092

realkingcobra

Silver Member
they made the Gold Crown 3 longer than any other version. Yes, like all pool tables they have their issues, but, anyone who knows what they are doing can make it play and look excellent! Others may say different, just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

How long was the GC3 in production?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
00e0e_ayAuabKJe9Z_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_fcGvujWFZ4b_1200x900.jpg

From what I read above they made them for 21 years. I am sure that is approximate and who actually knows?

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The rubber sticks up and leaves black marks on my shaft.

Nice looking table there. Are those 4 1/8 corners? Must be a 1P table:)

You need new pockets, the aftermarket gc4(they work for all models, thanks RKC) do not leave marks on cue shafts :)

Trent from Toledo

SlateMate

Banned

well, just get some white pockets. problem solved ;) ..... yes, it does but if you are industrious you can whittle-down that pocket edge.. all tables have strengths and weaknesses. it's just part of the game. getting used to older GC pockets is mandatory for players because there are so many in operation. i see it like driving an antique car. it's lots of fun but not as comfortable as driving a new car.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Nice looking table there. Are those 4 1/8 corners? Must be a 1P table:)

4" with a Diamnd deep shelf slate.

Attachments

• received_1229320567123266_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320567123266_1024x1024.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,003

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice! There is no such thing as “Cheating the pocket” on that table. I keep telling myself to stop trying to cheat the pocket, but it’s like a drug addiction.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have two friends who have GC3.
They just don't feel as solid as GC2 when I played on them.
Maybe they needed tune-up.
The slates aren't pinned like on the I's and II's if I'm not mistaken.

My GC2 with powder coated pocket metals and new gullies from Trent.
I shimmed the pocket metals to make them sit as flush as possible.
Corners are less than 4 1/2" at 140*-139*.
I painted my blinds in Tuscany ( yellow ).

Attachments

• gc2.jpg
    gc2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 970

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need new pockets, the aftermarket gc4(they work for all models, thanks RKC) do not leave marks on cue shafts :)

Trent from Toledo

Aftermarket? Does that mean it’s not GC4 but it similar in style and fits the gc3 castings? If so then I learned something new:smile:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4" with a Diamnd deep shelf slate.

Clifton Billiards has a 3 7/8 corner table and I think two tables at Sandcastle also have 3 7/8. Real tough for us hacks but those are the in-demand, most popular tables in the joint for 1P.

Can you tell me where you put that table in case I happen to fly into that area?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to that catalog pic the there's only 18lbs difference(and the 3 is heavier!!) in weight of 3/4 in a 9ft version. So the slates weren't pinned, anything else? Doesn't sound like much. What is major plus of pinned slates? I only started this thread because you hear all the time how the 3 is the least desirable model. Let's say you had six 3's in a room. Will durability/serviceability be an issue compared to 1,2, and 4's? Thanks again.