Who is the best 14:1 player active now?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or are there different opinions?
Is there at least a top ten?
A current top 10 list of 14.1 players would likely be dominated by Euro players, although there simply aren't enough annual 14.1 events with all the top 14.1 players competing to be able to compile an accurate current top 10 list, so it's very subjective. Based on 14.1 titles, you'd likely have to include Hohmann, Feijen, Immonen, Appleton, Engert, Van den berg, and Souquet, along with whatever Americans and Pinoys you wish to add to that list.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top 10 would probably be : John Schdmit, Thorsten, Feijen, Danny Harriman, Tony Robles, Darren Appleton, Lo Li Wen, Mika Immonen, Nick Van den Berg and Johnny Archer.

The problem with 14.1, the best players are probably people you've never heard of and who play it so much more like it was played 40 or 50 years ago. For example, there's a guy at my local hall that only plays 14.1. anyone who plays him ends up quitting cause he's such a good safety player. Not many people like that slow methodical style.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Top 10 would probably be : John Schdmit, Thorsten, Feijen, Danny Harriman, Tony Robles, Darren Appleton, Lo Li Wen, Mika Immonen, Nick Van den Berg and Johnny Archer. ...
I think you need to include some more Asians. Lo is not in the top 5 of that group for 14.1 if I had to guess.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only a few players I would expect to run 200 or who have run 200 at the DCC 14.1 challenge. Maybe they should be on the list. At this point the only player I would expect to do that is Orcullo, with Schmidt a possibility if he gets in.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There are only a few players I would expect to run 200 or who have run 200 at the DCC 14.1 challenge. Maybe they should be on the list. At this point the only player I would expect to do that is Orcullo, with Schmidt a possibility if he gets in.

Shaw is consistently putting up high numbers at Derby.
Jason

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ought to be toastie. most tournament wins, most 100-and out, 150-and-out, etc in match play in the world 14.1. he did lose to corteza last year so technically i guess lee van is number one, but in reality no. thorsten has been more consistent and has better patterns and better breaks

correction: corteza was the world 14.1 champion last year, toastie again this year

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda surprised no one even mentioned Dennis Hatch. Don't know how much he plays it these days but at one time he was a 14.1 monster.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d go straight down the Fargo list for my top 10.

With the exception of thorston, Schmidt, and a couple of other European players that I would bump their Fargo higher only for straight pool. But the only players I’d bump high enough to make a top 10 list are thorston and Schmidt.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree. Dennis is a great pool player period and has consistently good showings in the 14.1 events he has played including I think a win at the Derby.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Two wins at DCC, plus the highest runs in three years best I can recall. I have to think his Fargo rating is near the top as well.

ahk10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty surprised no one has mentioned the lion! Alex is a monster at all games imo. Also chris melling is a pretty good player (had a 200 and something at the derby a couple of years back I think)

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Lely. He is not really in competition but still a beast.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk