Why so few?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I hadn't thought about doing it.

I'm not sure I even knew about it.

Funny thing is, I was reading the thread about it just before this one. I thought as I read that thread, "Maybe I'll do that this fall."

That's all I got, Neil.

Jeff Livingston

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a Fargo 553 I have absolutely NO chance (zero, zilch) of winning. I might as well spend an hour driving behind an armored car hoping the doors fly open and money falls out.

The challenges are good practice and I have tried a few, but I am not going to go through the trouble of videoing myself. I'm fairly savvy on the technology side but I would need help doing the video. Perhaps this is the chief reason most don't participate.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Neil,

Thank you for posting this. I too was a little surprised by how few people participated, especially at the pro level, given that the entry was free and the payout was decent (for the amount of time required to run through the Exams).

For those who don't know what Neil is talking about, here's the pertinent AZB thread:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge thread

And here's the website that has all of the scores and videos:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge website

Some reasons why I personally think participation was low are:

1.) We offered only 1st-place prizes. We did this to offer the largest money prize amounts possible, but this probably scared some people off since it was an all-or-nothing proposition.

2.) Side Pocket posted extremely strong scores very early in the competition. Anybody who has tried the BU playing-ability exams before knew those scores would be nearly impossible to beat.

3.) Many people don't have the know-how or desire to record video and post it on YouTube.

4.) It takes a lot of time, effort, practice, and focus to do well in the BU Exams. Many people (maybe even some pros) don't have the kind of discipline and drive required to achieve top scores.

Live and learn,
Dave

PS: If people still want to try the exams and share their scores (and videos if available), as many other AZB users have, they can do so on the AZB BU thread. Then they can see how they stack up against others on the forum.

Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't support Dr. Dave therefore I didn't submit an entry.
If you "don't support me," wouldn't you want to try to get some of my money? :grin-square:

FYI, I didn't offer the money and challenge for people to "show support" for me.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I am but a lowly recreational player who enjoys his small amount of progress. I know I would fail the exam miserably.

Also, do not have the technology to support making a video...

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ego, that would be my guess.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Neil,

Out of sight, out of mind for some I suppose.

As for me, I went two and out this past weekend in Tallahassee, Florida. I couldn't beat you Neil. Oh well, you reminded some people out there.

There's always Lacy's Cue tonight at 8:00 pm SHARP.

JoeyA

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just thought of a fifth reason:

5.) Some people like to "Talk the Talk" but not "Walk the Talk."

Neil,

Thank you for posting this. I too was a little surprised by how few people participated, especially at the pro level, given that the entry was free and the payout was decent (for the amount of time required to run through the Exams).

For those who don't know what Neil is talking about, here's the pertinent AZB thread:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge thread

And here's the website that has all of the scores and videos:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge website

Some reasons why I personally think participation was low are:

1.) We offered only 1st-place prizes. We did this to offer the largest money prize amounts possible, but this probably scared some people off since it was an all-or-nothing proposition.

2.) Side Pocket posted extremely strong scores very early in the competition. Anybody who has tried the BU playing-ability exams before knew those scores would be nearly impossible to beat.

3.) Many people don't have the know-how or desire to record video and post it on YouTube.

4.) It takes a lot of time, effort, practice, and focus to do well in the BU Exams. Many people (maybe even some pros) don't have the kind of discipline and drive required to achieve top scores.

Live and learn,
Dave

PS: If people still want to try the exams and share their scores (and videos if available), as many other AZB users have, they can do so on the AZB BU thread. Then they can see how they stack up against others on the forum.

Last edited:

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the city where you don't have private access to a table. I could go to a hall on off hours, but still wouldn't have anything to record it on.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just thought of a fifth reason:

5.) Some people like "Talk the Talk" but not "Walk the Talk."

I do think a few were probably put off by the Side Pocket guys scores.
I also think 90% is the walkey talkey answer.
You have done a lot for the pool game Dave, I can't see how anyone could have a problem with what you do.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't support Dr. Dave therefore I didn't submit an entry.
How on earth could anyone not support the Dr Dave and the work he has done for this sport and our knowledge of the physics behind it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few reasons I didn't do it.

I looked at the rules briefly and it looked complicated with lots of "dots" required. I don't have any dots. Also, I get bored 10 minutes into a practice session so there's no chance I'd make it through this ordeal.

I realize that my inability to practice effectively is holding me back but I'm nearly 50 now, not sure I'm that motivated anymore.

When I play pool now I want to compete (directly) either in tournaments or leagues (less frequently now) or gambling. That's what I enjoy.

Edit: I should add, I envy those that can hit balls by themselves endlessly, I just can't do it. I support the effort, it's just not for me.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Because there are only a very few pool players left on AZB. Johnnyt

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No chance I could come close to what side pocket put up. I was planning on submitting an entry

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk