Review: Mezz PB Pro with DI Pro Shaft

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently picked up a new Mezz PB Pro from a friend in Japan. Amazing deal! Both PBI and PBII with regular DI shaft are cheap, and I got the PB Pro (wrapless) for slightly less than $400. This review is heavily based on personal preferences. I won't mention the specifications or the technology of the shaft because I know nothing about it. You can google the cue and draw conclusions for yourself. I'm not a cuemaker, nor do I pretend to know anything about cue. Even it's a $15 cue, as long as I play well, I'll keep it. The same is true for a $1500 cue.

The day I received the cue, I took a half day off from work and headed straight to a local pool hall to test it. The hits were extremely powerful and the feedbacks are just so solid. Feedback from my BK2 is no where near the PB Pro. Period. There was no comparison.

I took some statistics on my first 50 breaks with the cue. Break from the left edge of the box. This was taken on a 9ft Brunswick Crown IV, Simonis 860, 4.5 and 5 inches for corner and side pocket mouths.

Dry: 7
1 Ball: 28
2 Ball: 10
3 Ball: 3
4 Ball: 1
6 Ball: 1

CB around the center of the table: 35
Scratch: 3 times to the side pockets. Two went straight in, one was kicked in.

This is a tremendous improvement from what I normally break using BK2. I normally break with a lot of body movements and power. With the DI Pro shaft, I can relax on the speed a bit (roughly 80%) and control the cue ball much better.

The Sonic tip holds chalk better than any phenolic tips I have ever used. Here's the weird part. When I first chalked the tip, the house Master chalks did just fine. After a while though (~100 breaks or so), I don't seem to be able to find any Master chalks that would stay on the tip. :confused: Now I'm using either SilverCup or Blue Diamond. Both work fine but Blue Diamond, as always, comes out better IMHO.

I hope this helps for those who are looking for a quality break cue. It's a bit tad expensive especially for those who might be purchasing it within the US, but man, Mezz is spot-on with the cue. Unbelievable. I highly recommend it!

Are you mezz'ed up now? :thumbup:

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you ever have a chance to use a kamui chalk use it on the sonic tip. You will be amazed that it will adhere so much better than any chalk. =)

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
if you ever have a chance to use a kamui chalk use it on the sonic tip. You will be amazed that it will adhere so much better than any chalk. =)

I don't think they're out for sales yet, no? $25 for a piece of chalk is pretty darn expensive, though I'd give it a try given the reviews are actually good especially for harder tips. Blue Diamond works pretty good so far for only $3/piece.