Aiming technique---Does this matter?

JC

Coos Cues
It occurs to me that this man doesn't need an aiming system because his eyes are elevated and he can see and memorize ghost ball positions easily from an elevated 3D vantage point. He can see both balls, the pocket and all the real estate between them clearly.

1.jpg

This man on the other hand has a limited 3D view and sees things much differently. Down there it's a horizontal game. He thus has to develop different skills and strategies for aiming.

2.jpg

Both are outstanding players with excellent results but a very different view of the table. Just this one difference could make a discussion comparing how to aim correctly between these two styles like the ten blind men and the elephant. Not unlike most aiming threads here.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am flexible enough to shoot chin on the cue, but I see angles and cuts more accurately from an elevated position. Maybe it's because my eyes are older and I can't focus on close objects as quickly as I used to.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't see where you need to hit the ball when you look at it, yer f#ked. Now hitting it there, that's another story:D

People can argue what they want, but you cannot change the human brain.

We all aim intuitively. If you use an aiming system, you still aim intuitively, even if you don't think you do.

You cannot improve your aim by using an aiming system. You can only improve your aim by bettering your mechanics.

This is the truth. Just because you are a good pool player does not mean you understand how the brain works.

People may think aiming systems are helping them, when really it is an impossibility to see any improvement by "switching" how you aim.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We all aim intuitively. If you use an aiming system, you still aim intuitively, even if you don't think you do.

You cannot improve your aim by using an aiming system. You can only improve your aim by bettering your mechanics.

This is the truth. Just because you are a good pool player does not mean you understand how the brain works.

People may think aiming systems are helping them, when really it is an impossibility to see any improvement by "switching" how you aim.

I think that is what I said???

If you think a system is helping, you are correct. If you think you are happy, you are.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE RIGHT IN EITHER CASE, unless you are:grin:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Once again your truth is not correct.... For many people with aiming problems having the best mechanics in the world won't fix a thing..... The only distinct points on the object ball are the edges..... I can take a pretty educated guess at center but can easily get lost in it's 3mm exact location..... That's due to the ball being round and since it is round just the slightest movement left or right can get you on the wrong 3mm....

I don't aim intuitively... I aim precisely... and then I make precise movements to get me on the aiming line... If I miss it was in the lack of precision of my movements.. not the precision of the aim......

I'm still waiting for any clue as to who you are besides the fact you are pocketpoint v1.999999999 and you are a prime example of the inability of some to change or rewire their brain/thinking..........

Some of us retrain our brains.... it comes from acquiring knowledge and then integrating it and turning it to practical use..... You should try it........

Once again your truth is not correct.... For many people with aiming problems having the best mechanics in the world won't fix a thing..... The only distinct points on the object ball are the edges..... I can take a pretty educated guess at center but can easily get lost in it's 3mm exact location..... That's due to the ball being round and since it is round just the slightest movement left or right can get you on the wrong 3mm....

I don't aim intuitively... I aim precisely... and then I make precise movements to get me on the aiming line... If I miss it was in the lack of precision of my movements.. not the precision of the aim......

I'm still waiting for any clue as to who you are besides the fact you are pocketpoint v1.999999999 and you are a prime example of the inability of some to change or rewire their brain/thinking..........

Some of us retrain our brains.... it comes from acquiring knowledge and then integrating it and turning it to practical use..... You should try it........

No, you aim using system 1, the intuitive part of your brain. You cannot use system 2 in order to aim precisely, it will not work, unless you're related to RoboCop or something like that.

There is such a thing as retraining system 1. That takes repeated trials with immediate and precise feedback.

System 2 can be retrained instantly (by memorizing a formula for example).

Try and develop an aiming system to pick up your cup of coffee on the table. You can use the system, but you pick up the coffee intuitively. There is no way to get your hand moving more precisely at the cup of coffee. No formula will work.

You won't get away with posting the nonsense forever.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Wrong. Google is your friend.

Of course we aim intuitively if there is nothing to guide us. We also MISS because our intuition is not bringing us to the right aiming line. In all sports which require aiming there are many techniques taught to the athletes to guide them with aiming. When those techniques are precise then the technique is systematic. This replaces intuition which is SUBJECTIVE for something that is OBJECTIVE.

Wrong. You can have the best stroke in the world and still be on the wrong shot line. Perfect stroke plus wrong shot line equals missed shot.

This is the truth.

No, it's not the truth. Again, google is your friend. Research has been done on what types of stimuli lead to better performance. Other sports have already proven that athletes can dramatically improve performance with systematic approaches.

Just because you are a good pool player does not mean you understand how the brain works.

True, but then you don't seem to understand it either. How about providing some research to back up what you say.

No, it's quite easy. Just set up a shot making test and take it before learning a different aiming technique. Compare the results.

This one is dead easy. Take a person who has never played before and train them to have a perfect stroke WITHOUT ever seeing a pool table.

Don't train them on how to aim. Just bridge hand, stance, follow through etc...

Give them the shot making test.

Now teach them aiming using Ghost Ball.

Give them the shot making test again.

My prediction is that they will have a dramatic improvement in their shotmaking ability AFTER changing the way they aim.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It occurs to me that this man doesn't need an aiming system because his eyes are elevated and he can see and memorize ghost ball positions easily from an elevated 3D vantage point. He can see both balls, the pocket and all the real estate between them clearly.

View attachment 221795

This man on the other hand has a limited 3D view and sees things much differently. Down there it's a horizontal game. He thus has to develop different skills and strategies for aiming.

View attachment 221796

Both are outstanding players with excellent results but a very different view of the table. Just this one difference could make a discussion comparing how to aim correctly between these two styles like the ten blind men and the elephant. Not unlike most aiming threads here.

You can use the exact same aiming methods for both stances.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

I actually will and it it will always be under "The Renfro" long after you are on to your next screen name...

So far the only nonsense is the fact that Wilson hasn't banned you again.....

Well that and the fact that you spout the word truth often when you obviously only have "your" truths which in most situations are and have been far from correct.....

Now if you were to have said we all aim subconsciously I would have agreed... Even those of us who use the systems practice our robocop routines to the point that they become second nature..... We attempt to hardwire the processes... Thus changing our brains.....

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
No, you aim using system 1, the intuitive part of your brain. You cannot use system 2 in order to aim precisely, it will not work, unless you're related to RoboCop or something like that.

There is such a thing as retraining system 1. That takes repeated trials with immediate and precise feedback.

System 2 can be retrained instantly (by memorizing a formula for example).

Try and develop an aiming system to pick up your cup of coffee on the table. You can use the system, but you pick up the coffee intuitively. There is no way to get your hand moving more precisely at the cup of coffee. No formula will work.

Now you're comparing picking up a cup of coffee to aiming.lol
One angle has a moveable line of aim it just depends on how you hit whitey on which one you choose.
Whats with all the brain stuff?your confusing the sh!tt out of me.
We already have to many smart people here as it is.:grin:

I actually will and it it will always be under "The Renfro" long after you are on to your next screen name...

So far the only nonsense is the fact that Wilson hasn't banned you again.....

Well that and the fact that you spout the word truth often when you obviously only have "your" truths which in most situations are and have been far from correct.....

Now if you were to have said we all aim subconsciously I would have agreed... Even those of us who use the systems practice our robocop routines to the point that they become second nature..... We attempt to hardwire the processes... Thus changing our brains.....

I'll explain one more time, no one seems to get it.

System 1 is intuitive.
System 2 is computational.

If you utilize an aiming system, you are attempting to use system 2 in order to aim.

System 2 learns instantly. If you truly benefited from an aiming system, you would instantly aim perfect after learning it.

System 1 can be retrained through repeated trials, never instantly. Trials require feedback or no learning can be done.

I don't know what else to say.

I've pretty much had it here.

Another point I was considering to make is that if we closed AZB and we all spent our time at the table, we would all be better off.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'll explain one more time, no one seems to get it.

System 1 is intuitive.
System 2 is computational.

If you utilize an aiming system, you are attempting to use system 2 in order to aim.

System 2 learns instantly. If you truly benefited from an aiming system, you would instantly aim perfect after learning it.

System 1 can be retrained through repeated trials, never instantly. Trials require feedback or no learning can be done.

I don't know what else to say.

I've pretty much had it here.

Another point I was considering to make is that if we closed AZB and we all spent our time at the table, we would all be better off.

See ya.

Try doing a little research on current neuroscience while you are gone.

JC

Coos Cues
You can use the exact same aiming methods for both stances.

I think the high stance has a distinct advantage for ghost ball aiming from memorizing repetition of shots. Because you can actually see the entire shot in your mind as you aim it. Get down low and with any cut over half ball you simply cannot see the entire playing field. Therefore you must make other arrangements. Not saying each cannot yield equally consistent results, just that they are distinctly different. I wonder how many who just can't "get" the point of aiming systems have an elevated head? I may be crazy but I think there's a correlation.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
For many people with aiming problems having the best mechanics in the world won't fix a thing.....

Name 1... not many just 1..

1 person who put in the years of practice required to have top quality mechanics.. who can't aim a cut shot..

I call BS

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 221795

Well this is a simple one to answer. The guy above doesn't need an aiming system because he never has a hard shot. :smile:

Moral of the story: Don't aim so hard. Work on your position play instead.

Reactions: JC

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High stance tends to offer better overall viewing of position play.
Low stance tends to offer better viewing of target point, especially in long shots.
I've seen Mosconi in some old video getting lower (not as much as Appleton) in a long shot and Appleton getting higher in a bank shot.
I think that describes the use of each type of stance.
Petros

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, your aiming technique matters. If you're "Aiming by Halves" or some other aiming system that hasn't been blessed by John Barton, then any thread you're participating in will get spammed and carpet bombed to the point where the thread becomes a train wreck. :shocked2: