A 'LAST CHANCE' - $2,000 Added, U.S. Open 9-Ball Qualifier in April!

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Well, this should be a lot of fun. A 'tiered entry fee' based on Fargo, should bring in some interesting entrants. I haven't seen any qualifiers add this much and not charge green fees, thus far. This event will observe the official 'U.S. Open Rules' which, are still yet to be determined.

You can download the entry form for this event here:
http://www.povpool.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/US-Open-Qual-Entry-Form.pdf

More press and information on this event, here: http://www.povpool.com/california-b...fying-tournament-one-week-prior-to-the-event/

Live Streaming on POVPOOL's YouTube Channel.

Attachments

• US-OPEN-QUALIFIER-draft.jpg
    US-OPEN-QUALIFIER-draft.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 346

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what good is getting a reduced entry fee into a tournament you cant possibly win anyway.

if they want to attract weaker players than make a big spot so the top few players dont take all the money every single tournament.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what good is getting a reduced entry fee into a tournament you cant possibly win anyway.

if they want to attract weaker players than make a big spot so the top few players dont take all the money every single tournament.

True, I play in a local tournament every week and honestly, it comes down to 2 or 3 people every week that win. However, 16-18 of the same people show up every week and donate money for 3 of us to win the money.

A few weeks ago, the bar owner said he wanted to add $ 50.00 to the tournament each week. I told him that it really wasn't fair b/c the same 3 people would get that extra money all the time. I just suggested that he raffle that $50 off when it got down to the final 2 people. My feelings behind that was, more people have a chance of winning an extra 50 spot and it would keep the non winners around longer that might purchase food alcohol.

For me, I would love to play in this qualifier for the mere fact of playing better competition, meeting new people, sharing a beer and getting more experience. I might take a few games but would most likely never have a chance at winning...but would love the experience.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member

I get what you are saying in part but on the flip side if it is that cheap to enter and you are going to watch anyways, why not pay the 40 or whatever, donate to something you enjoy and hope to play two solid players and maybe pick up on something to improve your game. Support the hobby, sport what ever you consider it you know.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member

It is good. There are additional payouts through 16-24 players (based on the final field size). And, if there's only 1 or 2 pros entered then, I think your chances are better to get paid. I'll be giving out free hugs at the venue. I think you'll need one. Oh and by the way... spots are for NITS@!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
good they are paying down the ladder. but as we know if you dont have a chance at all to win the top places it limits interest in participation.

you know that from poker. people pay 10,000 to play in a tournament they have much less chance but a chance anyway. in pool you couldnt get 5 people to enter for 10,000 all playing even. but if you made it so all had some kind of chance of winning the top spot, many would play.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good they are paying down the ladder. but as we know if you dont have a chance at all to win the top places it limits interest in participation.

you know that from poker. people pay 10,000 to play in a tournament they have much less chance but a chance anyway. in pool you couldnt get 5 people to enter for 10,000 all playing even. but if you made it so all had some kind of chance of winning the top spot, many would play.

Our US Open qualifier is structured more like a satellite poker tournament. One entry is guaranteed for every 1k collected in entries. The entry fee structure is based on Fargo as well. Most people who will play don't have much of a chance because our strongest players are just that much better. Who knows if any players from other areas will play as well. Lower skilled players enjoy the competition so lower entry fees is just a bonus.

If I am playing well and get a good draw, I may be able to win an entry.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I like the tiered payment based on skill system. There are probably some players who wouldn't want to part with $200 having no chance who would be willing to offer up $40 or $60 in free money just to have the experience and the possible chance to play with some top tier players.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Our US Open qualifier is structured more like a satellite poker tournament. One entry is guaranteed for every 1k collected in entries. The entry fee structure is based on Fargo as well. Most people who will play don't have much of a chance because our strongest players are just that much better. Who knows if any players from other areas will play as well. Lower skilled players enjoy the competition so lower entry fees is just a bonus.

If I am playing well and get a good draw, I may be able to win an entry.

This is a great idea but in this particular situation, we were only reserved 1 spot for the OPEN and this is a last chance tournament which, will probably all be filled with the exception of this slot. We do this in 3-Cushion, USBA Qualifiers by giving qualifiers to the top player of each flight sometimes so, I'm not opposed to the idea. At least in the case of this tournament, many players will be happy to see money, coming in 9th-12tth and so on.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Personally I like the tiered payment based on skill system. There are probably some players who wouldn't want to part with $200 having no chance who would be willing to offer up $40 or $60 in free money just to have the experience and the possible chance to play with some top tier players.

I agree because hopeful players can play in a tough field without investing $1,000 for the open to find out where they stand amongst their peers. I'll be the first to admit that, handicapped events bring players like flies to s**t but, does it really help the the player to gauge where they stand? I think not. Handicapping pool can be like a drug. It feels good but, there's nothing better than a natural high.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I agree because hopeful players can play in a tough field without investing $1,000 for the open to find out where they stand amongst their peers. I'll be the first to admit that, handicapped events bring players like flies to s**t but, does it really help the the player to gauge where they stand? I think not. Handicapping pool can be like a drug. It feels good but, there's nothing better than a natural high.

I agree, I believe to a certain point if you enjoy watching top tier events, its also nice to support them when possible. I live within an hour of where the event will be held so I would most likely attend to watch anyways, within a XXX amount of an entry fee, why not play and have some fun. I have no expectation of winning or probably even coming into the money but its a small way to support something I enjoy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... if they want to attract weaker players than make a big spot so the top few players dont take all the money every single tournament.
Since the main prize in the tournament is an entry to play against top players I think it is better to not have spots. What's the point of a 500-level player winning the thing just to be totally blown out in Vegas?