how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not familiar with napl or its rules..common sense ......yea I know not all rules have common sense.....dictates that once the ball you need to win the match is legally pocketed by you the match is over.....whatever happens after that is irrelevant..

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not familiar with napl or its rules..common sense ......yea I know not all rules have common sense.....dictates that once the ball you need to win the match is legally pocketed by you the match is over.....whatever happens after that is irrelevant..

Except, you DO have to call it so technically it wasn't legally pocketed.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, I took 2 years off from leagues. I have always been the highest rated player on every team I was on -- but next year I have the opportunity to play on a different team, where the top player in the league will be on the team. That should be a nice change, where there is actually someone that might motivate me to play even better. I am looking forward to it.

By no means am I some great player. I am an average 7 in APA 8-ball which means I can play but on my best day would be considered a solid B player. On my average day probably a C+ to a B-.
I don't play near enough lately and maybe being lower on the totem pole would take some pressure off and allow me to just enjoy playing. I am already getting the itch...lol...didn't take long :smile:
I'll probably try to find something league wise in the fall. Maybe I can get my wife to play too which would make it more fun.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played well last night, won my 8 ball match 4 to 1, made 35 balls to 7 missed shots in 5 games...not so great on my 9 ball match, jumped the ball clean off the table on a simple draw shot on the 4 ball during an easy runout...the next game I shot the wrong damn ball...first (and last) time I have ever done that...silly mistakes, but something to work on I suppose, so I lost that match 4 to 3, not that I think I would have won that one anyway...never neen a 4 break and run three consecutive racks...but good job to him I suppose

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last session I was 9 ball top gun, this session I cant run 3 balls. My shot making is so bad right now Im frustrated to no end. I dont know whats going on. Ive been doing the Zero-x drills and I think Im getting worse.

That happened to me too. But I honestly think the reason is your brain has learned new things. Even your subconscious has. It's try to implement them and it just takes awhile to put all the pieces together. I was using the same system and taking lessons from my local pro. It took me a good 90 days to turn it all around. Keep with it. The pluses outweigh the negatives.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Played not so great last night, but still lost only one of my six matches. Normally not a league-er.
Afterwards I stayed to play around, started breaking and running the ghost on a bb, consistently.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Had qualifier cups last weekend. everybody played great. Sunday we had a nor'easter here and they canceled and rescheduled the rest of the tournament. Date is Feb 25th. Will keep you ladies and gents up to speed. We've won every match by the fourth match. Usually (2) 3-0s and a 2-0 or 2-1. One gentleman on my team keeps choking and it's all the small handicaps coming thru to keep us alive. I had 2 of my players go up in handicap level already which sucks. if one more person gets raised were out of the tournament. If this ends up being the case I'll more than likely quit the APA. I'm sick of LOs just raising people during tournaments because of who is on your team. I have a national champion, the best player in our state and a gentleman who has been to Vegas 7x and the rest of us are being punished for building an all-star team.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Well folks, league and/or local tournaments are off the table completely for a while. Yesterday, my wife was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and I'm going to be spending all my time and energy taking care of her and getting her back to a healthy life.

Priorities!!!

Maniac

I'll be praying for you and you wife maniac. Sorry to hear about that bud. God bless.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had qualifier cups last weekend. everybody played great. Sunday we had a nor'easter here and they canceled and rescheduled the rest of the tournament. Date is Feb 25th. Will keep you ladies and gents up to speed. We've won every match by the fourth match. Usually (2) 3-0s and a 2-0 or 2-1. One gentleman on my team keeps choking and it's all the small handicaps coming thru to keep us alive. I had 2 of my players go up in handicap level already which sucks. if one more person gets raised were out of the tournament. If this ends up being the case I'll more than likely quit the APA. I'm sick of LOs just raising people during tournaments because of who is on your team. I have a national champion, the best player in our state and a gentleman who has been to Vegas 7x and the rest of us are being punished for building an all-star team.

I have been in apa.for almost 7 years now. Around 5 years ago I posted about quiting myself. I did not like my team mates bein raised at the most inopportune times either

I am.now glad team mates and posters on here talked me out of it.

I also thought my lo had if in for me and my team at times.

Looking back I realize it was an unrealistic viewpoint. I now can honestly say that mo one was raised that did not deserve it.

May I suggest you go back and read what you typed ?

You stated that your team is blowing other teams away and it's not even going 5 matches and you are complaining your players are being raised ? It sounds to mw like the handicap system...not your lo... is doing it's job where your team is concerned.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qq

I have been in apa.for almost 7 years now. Around 5 years ago I posted about quiting myself. I did not like my team mates bein raised at the most inopportune times either

Looking back I realize it was an unrealistic viewpoint. I now can honestly say that no one was raised that did not deserve it.

You stated that your team is blowing other teams away and it's not even going 5 matches and you are complaining your players are being raised ? It sounds to mw like the handicap system...not your lo... is doing it's job where your team is concerned.

Believe me...i.have faced your delimna more than once over the last 7 years and did mot even have a stacked team like you say yours is.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh crap
..dont know.how I double posted above... dang phone.

2 weeks ago I started keeping a log of how I was doing after an embarrassing loss listed below.. Here is how I have done the last 2 weeks.

Thursday... Lost 9 ball.to a 2 by 19-36. Just had a bad day at work.amd my head was mot in the game..no.excuse though.

Friday...won 8 ball vs a 6 by 4-3. I am always up to play this guy. Kinda friendly rivalry and then kinda not friendly if you know what I mean

Sunday we played the same team twice as one was a makeup.

Lost 9 ball vs a 6 by 36-46. Not taking anything away from my opponent but I missed way too many balls.

Lost 8 vs a 3 by 2-2. I scratched on the 8 twice. He won the match and never pocketed the 8 . Unfriggin believable.
2 match again the same team.

Lost 8 ball vs a 7 by 5-2. I played a lot better than I did against the 3 but this 7 was runnin out from every where. Just happy I made it to the hill.

Won 9 ball vs the same 6 I played earlier..i curbstomped his ass 38-13 this time on 9 innings

Monday..we.were shorthanded so I played 9.ball twice.

Won 8 ball.vs a 7 by 3-3. He won the first 3 and I caught a gear and won the last 3. In 12 innings

Played the same.7 in 9.ball and won 38-29 in 21 innings
2nd Match I played a 6 and won 38-39 in 19 innings

Thursday...won 9 ball vs a 7 by 38-46 in 24 innings.I love playing this dude cause I get a kick out of him calling me a sandbagger every time he sees me. I fvck with him all.the time...not while we are playing of course. He keeps saying I oughta be a 6. I say...been there 4 times so far but being a bad ass 5 is so much more fun. It messes his head up and he loses to me every time.

Friday...won 8 ball 4-0 vs a 4 in 9 innings

Sunday...won 8 ball 4-2 vs a 5. I was up 3-0 and played a lousy safe. He makes his last ball and easy shot on the 8. He has an 8 on break the next rack and I win the next one

I play the same guy 9 ball and win 38-33. Tough match...did not shoot as good as I did 8 ball.

Tonight.... Won 9 ball vs a 6 by 38-29 in 21 innings. I missed several shots bit he shot worse. I think a couple of efren type shots and a couple of lock down safes by me got to him.

After startin out like crap I have picked it up some. Need to improve a lil more and hope to be in stroke for an apa.2,000.00.added 9 ball tournament next weekend.

After losing to that 2 I have won 6 out of my last 7 nine ball matches with all being bs 5's and above. I guess sometimes it takes am.embarrassing loss to light a fire under your ass.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Qq

Looking back I realize it was an unrealistic viewpoint. I now can honestly say that no one was raised that did not deserve it.

Believe me...i.have faced your delimna more than once over the last 7 years and did mot even have a stacked team like you say yours is.

Yeah I mean I guess you're right. The issue I have is he's going to keep raising handicaps until we cant meet the 23 rule. That just pisses me off. right now we cant even play with our best player because of the people who already went up. It feels like were being punished because our team is so stacked.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to figure out why I shoot the lights out in 9-ball and can't win in 8-ball to save my life.

I have been playing 9-Ball for years in APA league.
I just started playing 8-Ball Doubles with some friends.
It was mainly just to get a extra night of pool in.

I know they are different games. But 8-ball is just a struggle for me.
During practice I can run a few racks of 8-ball. Once league play starts though.
I just can't see it. Everything is tied up and I can't play my typical safeties.

My Record for 9 ball over the past 20 matches is 15 and 3.

My Record for 8-Ball Singles is 0 and 3.

I have got to figure out how to play 8-Ball soon.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update on how APA 9-ball team league has been going for me recently. This session I have won 10 of 11 matches as a SL8. All of my opponents, except for one SL7 who I have played and beaten twice and lost to once, have been SL5's or below. I have been playing much more consistent than when I was playing every day; now I only play on Thursday nights and the occasional snooker or pool tournament. Even though most of my matches have been around 20 innings or more, I wouldn't be surprised if I went up to a SL9 soon.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My new session mission of playing lower level players continues....(not intentionally this time, it just made more sense last night) I won vs an SL4, 14-6 split. I didn't play great, but man o man, did i get some crazy lucky rolls. Missing the shot and it falls in the opposite corner pocket, a couple times... (fast Diamond tables, the balls just keep on going) or lucky leaves behind another ball.

These things happen to all of us, both sides of it. But it happened so much last night, I was apologizing to my opponent. It was stupid. He was good matured about it, after all, what can you do?

I'll take the win tho....

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to figure out why I shoot the lights out in 9-ball and can't win in 8-ball to save my life.

I have been playing 9-Ball for years in APA league.
I just started playing 8-Ball Doubles with some friends.
It was mainly just to get a extra night of pool in.

I know they are different games. But 8-ball is just a struggle for me.
During practice I can run a few racks of 8-ball. Once league play starts though.
I just can't see it. Everything is tied up and I can't play my typical safeties.

My Record for 9 ball over the past 20 matches is 15 and 3.

My Record for 8-Ball Singles is 0 and 3.

I have got to figure out how to play 8-Ball soon.

You are .not alone.coop. Forgot what my record is but remember the percentages. 63 % win I 9 ball and 34% in 8 ball when I looked at it a couple of days ago.

Last night I won 9 ball vs another 5 by 38-10.in 10 innings for a score of 19-1. I will be surprised if I am not a 6 in 9 ball next week....for the 5 th time.

Won 8 ball 5-1 last night vs a 2. Scratched on the 8 one time.

We had 8 ball scotch doubles this weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with the format. We play a singles match. Then a scotch doubles match and one more singles.

I am just going to report on my singles. First match was against a 6 . I won 4-4 in a shootout that went 10 innings.

I lost 5-0 in my second match vs a 6. Went 9 innings and this guy has whole lot higher gear when he is on vs the previous 6 I played.

Last match I lost 4-0 in 10 innings . I was just wore out and my 63 year old body just cant take 11 hours in a pool hall . Not taking anything from my opponent though...he shot dang good.

I will probably be raised to a 6 in 8 ball also after my first match today.

I.have masters tomorrow and then I just might take the whole week off to rest up for an apa.2,000.00.added 9 ball tournament next weekend. Btw...never heard of a tournament starting at 8:00 am on a Saturday. Dang that is gonna be rough getting there that early.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Last match I lost 4-0 in 10 innings . I was just wore out and my 63 year old body just cant take 11 hours in a pool hall . Not taking anything from my opponent though...he shot dang good.

I.have masters tomorrow and then I just might take the whole week off to rest up for an apa.2,000.00.added 9 ball tournament next weekend. Btw...never heard of a tournament starting at 8:00 am on a Saturday. Dang that is gonna be rough getting there that early.

lorider, we are exactly the same age and our skill levels are pretty much the same. I am a SL6 in 8-ball with a 55.87 lifetime winning percentage, and a SL7 in 9-ball with a 62.04 lifetime winning percentage. As of late, your inning totals would be a bit lower than mine if I were still playing, but I incorporate a lot of safety play into my game (maybe you do too for all I know).

Next time I'm up in Memphis for the Blues Festival I'll give you a shout. Maybe we could play some. Sounds like fun to me!

Maniac

goombavskoopa

Registered
You are .not alone.coop. Forgot what my record is but remember the percentages. 63 % win I 9 ball and 34% in 8 ball when I looked at it a couple of days ago.

Last night I won 9 ball vs another 5 by 38-10.in 10 innings for a score of 19-1. I will be surprised if I am not a 6 in 9 ball next week....for the 5 th time.

Won 8 ball 5-1 last night vs a 2. Scratched on the 8 one time.

We had 8 ball scotch doubles this weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with the format. We play a singles match. Then a scotch doubles match and one more singles.

I am just going to report on my singles. First match was against a 6 . I won 4-4 in a shootout that went 10 innings.

I lost 5-0 in my second match vs a 6. Went 9 innings and this guy has whole lot higher gear when he is on vs the previous 6 I played.

good luck in your tournament saturday. Our last qualifiers match got rescheduled from last Sunday (due to excessive snow in the North East) till the 25th. 3 more matches till states and that's it. Our SL7 should be there too so it'll be an easier road

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lorider, we are exactly the same age and our skill levels are pretty much the same. I am a SL6 in 8-ball with a 55.87 lifetime winning percentage, and a SL7 in 9-ball with a 62.04 lifetime winning percentage. As of late, your inning totals would be a bit lower than mine if I were still playing, but I incorporate a lot of safety play into my game (maybe you do too for all I know).

Next time I'm up in Memphis for the Blues Festival I'll give you a shout. Maybe we could play some. Sounds like fun to me!

Maniac

I hope your wife is doing ok and would enjoy playing some pool with you .

As for playing the same level as you ? I dont think so. Yea I play safe sometimes...depending on the situation.

I am.going to make 2 posts about Sunday play because I have a lot to say .:D

After my 13 hour ordeal Saturday I has masters at 2:00 on Sunday and double jeapordy at 7:00. . I was wore out and my feet and legs were In pain but being captain of both teams I felt obligated to go.

The captain of the opposing team and I have a little history and it aint all good. He was my co captain on my Sunday team and 3 sessions ago hw formed his own team and took most of my players.

Forming his own team and taking some of my players did not bother me too much as we had a difference of opinion on how I matched people up. None of them liked my form of handicap management as whenever I felt someone was in danger of being raised I matched them up where they would lose several matches.

Since forming his team with my players they all have been raised by one level except him ...he is still a 5. He also formed a masters team.

Well yesterday was the first time I had the opportunity to ever play him . Surprisingly ...well maybe not too much of a surprise he stated he wanted to play me.

Since I was not in top form my game was suffering.and he went up 3-0 on me in 8 ball. Each time he sunk the 8 he would get a big grin on his face. As I bent down to retrieve the balls for the 4th rack I moaned a little in pain. He asked me ..whats the matter ? I said my feet and legs are killing me from yesterday and I am wore out.

He replied...is that the excuse you are going to use foe losin to me? That did not set too well with me and lit a fire under my rear end. I won 7-4 after being down 3-0.

My second match was against one of my Thursday 9 ball team mates who is also a 5. I lost 7-1.. He asked mw afterwards how could I lose 7-1 to him after the performance I put on his captain. I replied....not takin anything away from your game as you shot darn good but I did not care if I won or lost against you but no way in hell was I losing to your captain. He laughed as he knows the history.

As I was putting up my cues another team captain comes up to mw and tells me the lo said we need to play a makeup match with him now. I thought ...oh crap.

Well my 3 rd match was against a 7 who I beat a few weeks ago 3-3. I made a thread about it titled ...did something unorthodox. I had started playing with my breaking cue after being down 3-0 vs him and won the next 3 in a to for the win.

Now he and i are pretty friendly and he started talking smack as we lagged ...telling mw he wanted revenge and reminding me this was not a handicap match.

Well he wins the lag and elects to break and I choose 8 ball as I always think I play better 8 but have a slightly higher win % in 9 ball.

He breaks and runs down to his last ball which rattles in a corner pocket.he says...dang.. .I just messed up a break and run. I said ...yep and I am gonna make you pay. I ran the table. We go back back and forth with him winning one and me the next and them switch to 9 ball. Each time one of us racked the other said he was his rack boy lol . He wins the 10 th rack and we are tied at 5-5.

Guess what happens? yep he catches a gear and puts a two pack on me winning 7-5.

He come up and shook my hand and said that was a tough match.

More later .