Pool when we were kids

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
My first exposure to "pool" was at the age of 8-10 years old, playing "carroms" (yep, that's the real spelling) at the local park/rec center. Only distantly like real pool, but close enough to catch the incurable bug...

pj
chgo

View attachment 521106

The bowling alley bar had a bumper pool table! HOURS on that thing when I was 6, 7, 8, etc... drinking Shirley Temples and eating packet after packet of sugar.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was 8 years old, my neighbors has a bar box in their garage. We'd take turns just making balls until someone missed. Then we'd re rack and play again. No real rules, just taking turns playing. No chalk anywhere to be found. Some of the cues didn't have tips. Just kids having fun with what you have available.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
When I was 8 years old, my neighbors has a bar box in their garage. We'd take turns just making balls until someone missed. Then we'd re rack and play again. No real rules, just taking turns playing. No chalk anywhere to be found. Some of the cues didn't have tips. Just kids having fun with what you have available.

Playing on that GC in 1st grade, we were not cognizant the rack had 15 balls. We would just shoot til they were all gone, and each time we made one we'd put it on "our" side of the sofa. Once all were gone we'd count the balls and whoever had the most won! :lol:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Another thing we used to permit was resting your hand on a ball that was obstructing your bridge while you shot.

I see grown men do this still. If not gambling, I'll say, with a strong hint of sarcasm in my voice, "If that ball is in your way, just move it." Amazing how many actually do.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before we knew it was an illegal shot, if hooked we would just jump over the obstructing OB by shooting low on the cue ball (very hard on the cloth). I’m surprised the room owner didn’t throw us out.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I see grown men do this still. If not gambling, I'll say, with a strong hint of sarcasm in my voice, "If that ball is in your way, just move it." Amazing how many actually do.

Too funny!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If we mis-cued ( probably every third shot at least ) we would just put the cb back and shoot again.

We had a rule, even in the grown up part, if the ball didn’t go six inches...you could take the shot over...
....and you made sure it didn’t go six inches.

Last edited:

camaro69926

Registered
If it didnt go further than a dollar bill you got to re-shoot. Sometimes move it back or just hurry up and shoot where it lays. HAHAHAHA

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I grew up, scratch on the 8 was loss of game. Make the 8 in on the break was a win unless you also scratched, then it was a loss. When you broke in 8-ball, if you made something that was your group unless you made an even number of each, then you could choose.

vinay

Registered
When I grew up, scratch on the 8 was loss of game. Make the 8 in on the break was a win unless you also scratched, then it was a loss. When you broke in 8-ball, if you made something that was your group unless you made an even number of each, then you could choose.

This is basically the APA rule except for the last bit. In the APA you can't choose directly, but it's open until you legally make a ball.