Consensus "Greatest of All Time" (GOAT) List

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The second round of voting begins today!

Everybody, whether you participated in the first round voting or not, gets to vote with 5 points in this round.

After 0 votes in the second round, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 161
2 - Shane Van Boening - 75
3 - Earl Strickland - 73
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Johnny Archer - 43
8 - Francisco Bustamante - 42
9 - Buddy Hall - 42
10 - Wu Chia-ching - 40

Thank you for participating,
Dave

I believe post 198 brings Orcullo's total to 44, placing him sixth.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of my 2nd-round vote points (5) go to Wu Chia-ching.

He won two major world championships at 16! He also places high or wins every top event he enters, and he is the current world top player (according to FargoRate). He doesn't yet have the longevity and large number of wins as some of the other players on the list, but he certainly has GOAT skills.

I look forward to seeing how the voting pans out in this second round.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of my 2nd-round vote points (5) go to Wu Chia-ching.

He won two major world championships at 16! He also places high or wins every top events he enters, and he is the current world top player (according to FargoRate). He doesn't yet have the longevity and large number of wins as some of the other players on the list, but he certainly has GOAT skills.
FYI, I added my name and score to the first post.

After 1 vote, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 156
3 - Earl Strickland - 73
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Johnny Archer - 43
9 - Francisco Bustamante - 42
10 - Buddy Hall - 42

Regards,
Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are identifying the Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren gets all 5 points from me.
Ahhh I see. Top 10 GOAT is much more interesting. In that case, I will award all 5 points to Dennis O. He may not have the trophies of the other top 10, but he has held the top dog money player status for over a decade
According to the first post, you are not allowed to change your vote. But since this was the first time this came up, and since you got it in before the first-round deadline, I will add Dennis to the list.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 156
3 - Earl Strickland - 73
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
10 - Francisco Bustamante - 42

Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the first post, you are not allowed to change your vote. But since this was the first time this came up, and since you got it in before the first-round deadline, I will change your vote and add Dennis to the list.

Thanks,
Dave

wouldn't that push wu out of the top 10 and make your own second round vote invalid?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
wouldn't that push wu out of the top 10 and make your own second round vote invalid?
Since the rules prohibited changing votes, I should have been firm and not allow Dennis into the Top 10. I think the only simple and fair solution at this point is to keep Buddy Hall on the list (and expand 10 to 11 for now) since he got bumped in the shuffle. Sorry for the confusion. When second-round voting is done (on 6/30/2019), I will drop the 11th spot.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 156
3 - Earl Strickland - 73
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
From the first post:

Note that I have not included players from the too-distant past. For example, arguments can be made that Mosconi, Greenleaf, Lassiter, Hoppe, Cranfield, Crane, DeOro, Lindrum, Caras (and others) deserve to be on the list, but I purposely excluded them since it is too difficult for most people to compare them to players in the modern era. I at least give them honorable mention here.

Please vote for the players on the current list if you want to participate.

Thanks,
Dave

Fine...then you can't use the term "GOAT". Greatest modern era, whatever, but not All Time. Points of comparison notwithstanding, just straight up championships and comparisons from their respective eras would count in a comparison. That said, "Efren 5" for me. And for the record, I think he gives the old timers the 7 regardless, so he's the GOAT as far as I'm concerned.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fine...then you can't use the term "GOAT". Greatest modern era, whatever, but not All Time. Points of comparison notwithstanding, just straight up championships and comparisons from their respective eras would count in a comparison.
Good points, but how far back should we go? There were many great players before Mosconi's time. I realistically had to draw the line somewhere, and I chose 1970. I would prefer not change "GOAT" to "GITME" (Greatest In The Modern Era), but maybe I should. But then nobody would know what I'm talking about. :sorry:

That said, "Efren 5" for me. And for the record, I think he gives the old timers the 7 regardless, so he's the GOAT as far as I'm concerned.
FYI, I added your name and scores to the first post.

After 2 second-round votes, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 161
3 - Earl Strickland - 73
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second round Efren 3, Earl 1, Shane 1.

After 3 second-round votes, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 164
2 - Shane Van Boening - 76
3 - Earl Strickland - 74
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 66
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to add 3 for Alex P. and 2 for Reyes.

After 4 second-round votes, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 166
3 - Earl Strickland - 74
4 - Nick Varner - 73
5 - Alex Pagulayan - 69
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll put 5 on Alex the l p.
FYI, I added your name and score to the first post.

After 5 second-round votes, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 166
3 - Earl Strickland - 74
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 74
5 - Nick Varner - 73
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB = 5 points.
FYI, I added your name and score to the first post.

After 6 second-round votes, here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 166
2 - Shane Van Boening - 81
3 - Earl Strickland - 74
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 74
5 - Nick Varner - 73
6 - Mike Sigel - 63
7 - Wu Chia-ching - 45
8 - Dennis Ocollo - 44
9 - Johnny Archer - 43
11 - Buddy Hall - 42

Dave