Does It Make Sense

Bigdaddi44

Registered
I have a question...does it make sense to open a room? I'm thinking about opening a room in NorCal. There are no rooms in the county (except for bars), there are 2 colleges within 10 miles and he median income is moderate.
Thinking 22 tables, Bar, Pub Grub and a couple more group games. I'm just wondering if "pool" is the business to go into right now?

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the pool businesses in the area around Arizona State, which is Tempe and east Phoenix. There are several poolhalls / bar/ restaurant nearby, including Scott Frost's large one which looks like it is in a former grocery or big box store. Maybe see if the colleges have pool in their student rec areas - mine had four tables. Especially if the drinking age is 18 and you get a liquor or beer license I think 2 colleges are a good customer base to start. Think about parking, public transportation, area lifestyle, but most important rent - too many places close because the rent is high, or the rent gets jacked up. or the owner re-purposes the building.

Then forget NorCal and come to Paris TX. I'll even work for you cheap just to get a pool hall here. Maybe a small place, a dozen tables plus youth attractions like music, dancing, karaoke, darts,... The closest hall is Billiard Den in Richardson, 90 miles away. The county has some small music/food/bar pubs, but not a lot for young people, partly because the owners of a big popular spot are off in prison for something.

Anyway, from reading in this blog, pool it seems to be a hard business right now, but I was surprised to discover the wealth of pool related business in Tempe, maybe they have winning business models.

Best of luck.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 Colleges within 10 miles and a Bar, you'll be fine. Don't put to much stake in the pool side for your main revenue. Keep the menu high profit items, great service and well priced drinks and you'll do well. Brian.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just wondering if "pool" is the business to go into right now?

Seems like they come and go. Seems like everything is ok and then a new one opens to take away business.
If nothing is in that area maybe there is a reason..... however being the first and only room could be big.