Reduce deflection by changing ferrule?

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking at buying a standard playing cue (a falcon cue) and I was wondering if I changed my ferrule on the standard shaft that comes with it, to a lighter weight ferrule, if I would get any noticable reduction in cue ball deflection?
The reason I am wondering is because unless I'm mistaken, some of the lower deflection shafts on the market just have light weight ferrule on them. For example players hxt shaft ( I may be wrong about this though). It's obviously not as low in deflection as say predator, but I have used the hxt shaft for a couple years now and I like the amount of deflection it provides, I am just not crazy about the over hit of the shaft. So hoping just changing ferrules on standard shaft that my new cue comes with, that it may provide comperable deflection to that if the hxt shaft.
And just in case people start replying that the hxt shaft is not low deflection anyways.... I switched over to it from a mezz wd-700 shaft that had warped. And after trying multiple low deflection shafts, I found the hxt shaft deflection to be the most comperable to the mezz wd-700. I didn't really have to make any real adjustments in my aim after switching. So that's why I chose to use the hxt.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long story short. Yes. I've done it many times with great result. It's not going to turn the Falcon into magic wand, but you will notice beneficial a difference if trying to achieve less deflection. I actually did it to a Falcon cue myself but for a different reason. I didn't like their stock fiber ferrule due to the soft hit, regardless of tip.
I wanted a firmer hit so I swapped to an Aegis 2 ferrule with a triangle tip. That Falcon hits like my Scruggs cue now. It played so nice somebody bought it from me on the spot. Deflection for me is less an issue because I often switch between different cues for the fun of it.
Try to master the cue foremost, and then tackle the table. You just have to get used to whatever cue you choose to shoot with.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just get a shaft with a short and light weight ferrule design from the get go?
The players shafts have a fairly long ferrule and you might be able to shave of a gram or so by switching to a lighter material, but it sounds like a lot of work for something you might not be able to feel.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Reducing the mass of the ferrule will be a bigger benefit, gram for gram, than any other modification to the shaft, in terms of reducing deflection.

That said, how much does the stock ferrule weigh? I'm not sure how much difference a lighter ferrule can make because I'm not sure how much lighter they really get.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It can be done.
Bore the end and use carbon fiber tenon and use a lighter ferrule.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The material definitely makes a difference. A drastic example would be a standard 1" capped ferrule made of a heavy material like Ivorine 4, if you were to change that to a new, same size ferrule made of a very light weight material like Tomahawk the deflection difference is surely noticeable :rolleyes:

I'd recommend trying out the Falcon as it is at first and then have the ferrule changed if you feel something wrong with it :smile:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The material definitely makes a difference. A drastic example would be a standard 1" capped ferrule made of a heavy material like Ivorine 4, if you were to change that to a new, same size ferrule made of a very light weight material like Tomahawk the deflection difference is surely noticeable :rolleyes:

I'd recommend trying out the Falcon as it is at first and then have the ferrule changed if you feel something wrong with it :smile:

Just as a side note, do you realize that the :rolleyes: emoji is rolling your eyes as if replying to someone who said something you find incorrect/stupid?

Just a PSA. :thumbup:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ Never thought of that in such depth. Guess that I'm a bit lost about the correct use of smilies :embarrassed2:

Regardless of smiley faces I'm serious about what I said above. I spent quite a bit of time testing the materials I stock for cue repair on the same shaft, replacing the ferrule over and over to get an honest idea how every material I have affects play / characteristics of a shaft :smile:

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good point. I'll try it out first. I'm just hoping to avoid a drastic difference in deflection from my old shaft. When I get use to they deflection of a shaft I have been using for a while, it takes me a few months to adjust to a new shaft again. And in the meantime I miss a lot of shots when using side English or trying to throw a ball.