Pool on TV - a fantasy

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The point I was making is that you first have to have a sell-able product on the screen. If you have that, then you can attract advertising dollars, which is where the money is.

The reason the big national sports can afford to pay their players tens of millions of dollars is because of TV advertising. No one gets paid $200 million/6 years without the billions of advertising dollars the sport gets from TV.

And to get that TV money, you need a sell-able TV product; an event that the average beer-drinking, pizza-eating, football-watching American will be compelled to turn on and watch, otherwise TV sponsors will never get on board, no matter how good your players are. Once you have a great TV show, sponsors will fall over themselves finding products they can advertise during your game/event.

And that starts with interesting players. Does anyone remember Vivian Villarreal, the "Texas Tornado"? I remember when I was a marketing manager about twenty years ago watching her play a few times on TV and thinking "this chick would be easy to sponsor. She's really identifiable." She was a loud, passionate personality, and on the table she was a risk-taker, which made her games more dramatic, in spite of the fact that she rarely seemed to make it into the final round.

But from the POV of a marketing director, I could easily see throwing more money at her than say, Karen Corr, because the casual fan would be more easily drawn to her. And if she won, well there's your "underdog" story, which would mean more revenue generated.

Bottom line, American pool has a perception problem. Without the personalities/characters/drama TV sponsors aren't going to throw money at it.

There's a much better way of promoting this sport as well as many, many other sports that require NO advertisers, and will produce mlions, but I'm not going into that right now.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a much better way of promoting this sport as well as many, many other sports that require NO advertisers, and will produce mlions, but I'm not going into that right now.

On TV? I thought the premise of this thread was how to get pool on TV? Or why it's a pure fantasy?

Or did this thread jump off topic already?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I refuse to believe that darts and a cornhole (bags) championship would be more interesting or exciting to watch than the World Cup of Pool... even to viewers who never play any of these 3 games.

With all that has been said on this thread, I still simply do not get it why pool is not on TV more.:shakehead::scratchhead:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of ideas about getting Pool back on TV and of course the
Color of Money worship that says we need another Pool Movie.

What we need is Pool Rooms that aren't gambling dens and we to shed that
reputation that plays up to a much more numerous demographic than just drinkers.

We can't get enough people to a tournament to justify the added money much less to
warrant someone paying for it to be on TV and no advertiser in their right mind are
going where there aren't some major numbers. There aren't major numbers of
consumers because our sport moved into Bars where kids can't go. They'll put a
womens match up occasionally. They are more marketable but again the numbers
just aren't there....and the commentary. You're right.

Yesterday I was at a 4th of July party, and up on the big screen was the annual Nathan's 4th of July hot dog eating competition in Coney Island. It was on ESPN. The winner, 12-time champion, ate 71 hotdogs in 10 minutes. He holds the world record at 74 hotdogs!

I watched this messy event, along with a party of others, and I couldn't help think, "ESPN shows this, but not professional pool."

Anyway, today I was browsing YouTube matches and came across a very good example of why I think pool died in major broadcasting.

This clip is from the IPT 2005 8ball King of the Hill Championship, Mike Sigel vs Efren Reyes. I watched 10 minutes of it and had already had enough of the bs commentating. There were 3 commentators, each taking turns making up rediculous things to say, so rediculous that about any pool player would recognize the stupidity. One of the commentators was a pro player, yet she chimes in with plenty of over-the-top dumbing down, I suppose for the benefit of non pool players watching the match at home. Just watch and listen for a couple of minutes beginning at 08:32. Keep in mind that when ESPN shows football, baseball, golf, or ANYTHING else, the commentators are not dumbing it down with too much explanation, not pretending a lucky occurrence is the result of miraculous skill, not inventing excuses for errors or making up historical facts to justify simple mistakes.

https://youtu.be/U_a2zMFGMQE?t=512s

I had had enough of it because I'm a player myself and I found the comments to be too annoying, so I put my tv on mute. But if I wasn't a player I think I would've changed the channel because the commentators give this false impression that what these pros are doing is just so incredible that no other pool players could do it. If I were an eager young man listening to these comments, thinking I'd like to learn how to play, I'd believe I'd say, "Damn, I'll never be that good!"

Does anyone else think that honest commentary, where mistakes are acknowledged and not glossed over with pure fantasy and excuses, would make televised pool more realistic, more down to earth for average viewers? Or is this old clip just a rare exception of poor commentating?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The TV dying off argument is an overrated one. Let's not forget that the majority of people who stream live in major metropolitan cities like LA and NY. We forget that a lot of people in the united states still do not have access to fast internet and have no interest in streaming things.

As for RealKingCobra's argument, yeah he's right. Too many ideas and no one seems to want to step forward to start something. I think people just want that self satisfaction bug without doing much of the work that gets you to be a moderate success. Appleton is the only one that I've seen who has tried something different with his WPS tour. And where has that been lately? It went from 8 ball to 9 ball and a stop in Europe.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The TV dying off argument is an overrated one. Let's not forget that the majority of people who stream live in major metropolitan cities like LA and NY. We forget that a lot of people in the united states still do not have access to fast internet and have no interest in streaming

Answer me something will you, when there's no more cable companies left to provide the media to all those TV's you mentioned, what are they going to be watching on them next? Streaming is coming, streaming is the future, and soon enough, streaming is going to be the ONLY way they'll be watching all those TVs.....think about it!

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer me something will you, when there's no more cable companies left to provide the media to all those TV's you mentioned, what are they going to be watching on them next? Streaming is coming, streaming is the future, and soon enough, streaming is going to be the ONLY way they'll be watching all those TVs.....think about it!

That’s a wrong statement.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you just keep on believing that laying cable wires to customers just so they can watch TV in the future will never change, and that going totally wireless has no future!!

Last I checked Glenn satellites were wireless. In addition so is terrestrial TV transmissions.

When the US transitioned from NTSC signals to HDTV transmissions the analog carriers were shut down. Across the US people that received those NTSC signals were given FREE HDTV down converters. Reason being is because TV broadcast is a public service. Just like radio. It’s never going away. It is free to all. This is how advertising started on television.

What we are seeing now is an “additional” broadcast medium. Streaming is new in the grand scheme of things and only the future will tell how it will mature. In order to broadcast a 4K video signal it takes an extraordinary amount of bandwidth. Try downloading a 4K video to a hard drive and tell me how long it takes. If you wanted to stream 3 different 4K signals in your home via internet simultaneously then either you have a blazing fast connection or you don’t mind the constant buffering. There is much more I could get into regarding what it takes to convert the entire country to streaming as a full time medium but, it’s way more complicated and as of right now the best method is fiber based which most do not have access to. Not to mention the service providers ability to pass through that amount of information on a country wide full time basis.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Last I checked Glenn satellites were wireless. In addition so is terrestrial TV transmissions.

When the US transitioned from NTSC signals to HDTV transmissions the analog carriers were shut down. Across the US people that received those NTSC signals were given FREE HDTV down converters. Reason being is because TV broadcast is a public service. Just like radio. It’s never going away. It is free to all. This is how advertising started on television.

What we are seeing now is an “additional” broadcast medium. Streaming is new in the grand scheme of things and only the future will tell how it will mature. In order to broadcast a 4K video signal it takes an extraordinary amount of bandwidth. Try downloading a 4K video to a hard drive and tell me how long it takes. If you wanted to stream 3 different 4K signals in your home via internet simultaneously then either you have a blazing fast connection or you don’t mind the constant buffering. There is much more I could get into regarding what it takes to convert the entire country to streaming as a full time medium but, it’s way more complicated and as of right now the best method is fiber based which most do not have access to. Not to mention the service providers ability to pass through that amount of information on a country wide full time basis.

Times are changing, do you still have your 8 track cassette player?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Times are changing, do you still have your 8 track cassette player?

Missing the point. I understand this area more than most. Believe what you like. It’s not about a cable being brought to your home. Broadcast networks still exist sending signals over the airwaves and so does cable TV in both cable and satellite forms and now streaming formats on IP based networks. In some cases a broadcaster feeds all 3 formats. It’s a different way of advertising. For one program created they can actually create more advertising.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Missing the point. I understand this area more than most. Believe what you like. It’s not about a cable being brought to your home. Broadcast networks still exist sending signals over the airwaves and so does cable TV in both cable and satellite forms and now streaming formats on IP based networks. In some cases a broadcaster feeds all 3 formats. It’s a different way of advertising. For one program created they can actually create more advertising.
Most people are getting sick of 44 minutes of show, and 16 minutes of advertising, and that's what cable is all about. At least some streaming providers provide content with no advertising, while others for a small fee will block it from your viewing. Changes are always happening, and they always lean towards what best for business, which is controlled by the support, or lack of support of the public!

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people are getting sick of 44 minutes of show, and 16 minutes of advertising, and that's what cable is all about. At least some streaming providers provide content with no advertising, while others for a small fee will block it from your viewing. Changes are always happening, and they always lean towards what best for business, which is controlled by the support, or lack of support of the public!

Now that is an agreeable comment. People also want to watch things when they want not at a pre-scheduled time. That’s a difference in culture change over the years.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never said they aren't going away. I said that it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. It's going to be a good while before you see cable television fully disappear in favor of streaming services.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never said they aren't going away. I said that it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. It's going to be a good while before you see cable television fully disappear in favor of streaming services.
I'll give them three years until 80% of Americans have streaming services. The following survey is from a little over a year ago.

The CNBC All-American Economic Survey finds the nation living the American stream.

The poll of 801 Americans around the country shows that 57 percent of the public has some form of streaming service, compared with 43 percent who do not. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.5 percent.

The data confirm the rapid adoption of streaming service by American households, which has propelled the value of Netflix to $124 billion from $63 billion just a year ago. It also underscores the pressure traditional media and cable providers are under from the competition.
When it comes to viewing habits, there’s a virtual tug of war between the competing media. Thirty-six percent of the public reports watching cable more than their streaming service, and 31 percent say they watch streaming more than the cable, with 29 percent saying it’s about the same.

I haven't had cable since about 1979. I just got gigabit fiber to the home.

Have you noticed how many of the young people are doing video on their smarty-phones? I don't think you can get cable on those.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give them three years until 80% of Americans have streaming services. The following survey is from a little over a year ago.

The CNBC All-American Economic Survey finds the nation living the American stream.

The poll of 801 Americans around the country shows that 57 percent of the public has some form of streaming service, compared with 43 percent who do not. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.5 percent.

The data confirm the rapid adoption of streaming service by American households, which has propelled the value of Netflix to $124 billion from $63 billion just a year ago. It also underscores the pressure traditional media and cable providers are under from the competition.
When it comes to viewing habits, there’s a virtual tug of war between the competing media. Thirty-six percent of the public reports watching cable more than their streaming service, and 31 percent say they watch streaming more than the cable, with 29 percent saying it’s about the same.

I haven't had cable since about 1979. I just got gigabit fiber to the home.

Have you noticed how many of the young people are doing video on their smarty-phones? I don't think you can get cable on those.

YouTube tv is cable for streamers. Phones, tablets and TVs. It’s surprisingly good and less than cable. $54.99 for up to three simultaneous viewers. Gigabit fiber just became available at our house and we are going to get it soon.

We’ve been streaming only for the last 10 years. Though we usually would rather work or read than watch tv in the evenings.

We just added the YouTubeTV a couple of months ago and it is nice. But we probably won’t keep it too long as we just don’t watch it enough to justify it.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should be proclaimed upon high that if any pool match needs commentary, in any way, shape or form Jeremy Jones and he alone shall do it.

I agree that commentary has always been the bane of pool on tv, and one hour long digested matches. It is always been two commentators dumbing down everything, even the pros. They are not commentating for the knowledgeable because it such a small base that it's not a blip on their radar.

The matchroom stuff has fantastic commentary at times, but can be prone to over hype. It is better than listening to Mitch and Eva, one doesn't have a clue and the other thinks that if a shot isn't straight in all hope is lost.

Oh well. I watch everything on YouTube anyways.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Both Spectrum and DirectTV have apps you can download for free on your mobile device.

If you have an account, you can log in and watch live television on any of the channels that are part of your package.

With the DTV app, I can even record content from my phone to be watched on my TV, and vice versa.