Karen Corr's Job

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read in Pool & Billiard Magazine that Karen Corr now has a job. Anybody know what that is? Working in a pool hall? Traveling instructor? Anything pool/billiard related? Or is she making pillowcases in a factory?

r/DCP

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She completed nursing school two years ago.
Good for her.
Getting old and having nothing but pool shooting to depend on isn't a very encouraging future, in my opinion.
I often wonder how many of them who've made big scores, invested in property or land instead of pissing it all away gambling and being the big shot.
Pats on the back and praises about "what a big heart you had" don't mean much when the hair gets gray.....and the electric company says: "where's the payment, jack".
Again, good for her!
:thumbup:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume that this is because of the demise of the Women's tour. Now that folks want the top women to play with the men many more woman will have to get real jobs.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for her! Pretty sad that one of the top woman pool players in the world, and formerly one of the top woman snooker players in the world can't make as good an income as a nurse, but I'm not surprised.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never met her but I love that gal. In addition to being a class act and great player she took time off to return to Ireland so she could take care of her ailing Father.

If I was a business owner I'd sponsor her but I'm only a retiree on a fixed income.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume that this is because of the demise of the Women's tour. Now that folks want the top women to play with the men many more woman will have to get real jobs.
You're assuming men pro pool players don't need a real job on the side to make a decent living?

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're assuming men pro pool players don't need a real job on the side to make a decent living?

Well that’s one of my main points about Siming Chen. She is a product of the Chinese Communist State. She is hardly some “ free range “ player.

Only the cream of the crop can support themselves playing pool in the West.

When I was at Derby City ten years ago Alison Fisher played. Did she finish in the money?

When Karen Core played in the US open did she finish in the money? Finishing in the money won’t pay for all the expenses of competing.

Outside of first and second place there are just crumbs.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for her! Pretty sad that one of the top woman pool players in the world, and formerly one of the top woman snooker players in the world can't make as good an income as a nurse, but I'm not surprised.

I know you make a living off the game, but seriously...you thing playing pool should pay as well as nursing?

Reality check, aisle 6... please.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well that’s one of my main points about Siming Chen. She is a product of the Chinese Communist State. She is hardly some “ free range “ player.

Only the cream of the crop can support themselves playing pool in the West.

When I was at Derby City ten years ago Alison Fisher played. Did she finish in the money?

When Karen Core played in the US open did she finish in the money? Finishing in the money won’t pay for all the expenses of competing.

Outside of first and second place there are just crumbs.

The payoffs at the Major pool tournaments held annually are fairly good. Try $5,000 for 5-6th in the U.S. Open for example (40K on top!). The one caveat that leaves out all but the very best players, is that for most of the big events you have to travel the world to play in them. Chris Melling just won 75K for Second place in a Chinese Eight ball event, and the Chinese team picked up 60K for winning the World Cup. There is a decent living to be made in pool if you are an elite player.

How about a player like Dennis Orcollo grabbing 50K twice in matches with Scott Frost and Tony Chohan (yes he did lose one also). Every time Dennis comes over here, he spends two or three months playing almost every week, and consistently grabs several thousand or more in each tournament he plays in. He won nearly 50K at DCC last year! Playing pool is his job and he makes a nice six figure income doing it.

Same goes for the women. If you're willing to travel to China, they regularly have big dollar pool tourneys for the women, who are very well known and popular over there. The problem for Western women is who they have to beat to get it! There are at least a dozen Chinese women who play close (or equal) to Siming's speed (she doesn't win every tourney over there!). :D

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The payoffs at the Major pool tournaments held annually are fairly good. Try $5,000 for 5-6th in the U.S. Open for example (40K on top!). The one caveat that leaves out all but the very best players, is that for most of the big events you have to travel the world to play in them. Chris Melling just won 75K for Second place in a Chinese Eight ball event, and the Chinese team picked up 60K for winning the World Cup. There is a decent living to be made in pool if you are an elite player.

How about a player like Dennis Orcollo grabbing 50K twice in matches with Scott Frost and Tony Chohan (yes he did lose one also). Every time Dennis comes over here, he spends two or three months playing almost every week, and consistently grabs several thousand or more in each tournament he plays in. He won nearly 50K at DCC last year! Playing pool is his job and he makes a nice six figure income doing it.

Same goes for the women. If you're willing to travel to China, they regularly have big dollar pool tourneys for the women, who are very well known and popular over there. The problem for Western women is who they have to beat to get it! There are at least a dozen Chinese women who play close (or equal) to Siming's speed (she doesn't win every tourney over there!). :D

Dennis O. is one of the premier players in the world. He was the top Pinoy money player where there is an action economy.

The Chinese players both nationalists and the communists are subsidized by the state. What you are proposing will leave western female players in bread lines.

Western female players can’t complete against the men and make it pencil. It don’t pencil for most of the men at this time.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does Orcullo bet his own money? With a backer he's not going to make rent.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Seem to recall she had a job at like home depot or Lowes, something along those lines

Jason<-----doesn't trust his memory and neither should you

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not talking just about Karen's situation here. But in general nursing seems like a pretty good career choice for any aspiring pool player.

It's pretty good $$.

You can do it half-time or some other fraction if you are wanting to earn some rent $$ while really focusing on pool.

You can pretty much get a job anywhere and then a year later move and get a new job.

You can take a hiatus and then bet back into it.

You can choose to work not a fixed schedule but rather just be on call. That way you can leave home to to the west coast swing, and then a few months later leave home for another swing...

It is in many places possible to work "full time" as 3 12-hour shifts a week.

If you later quit the pool grind, you've got a good career.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not talking just about Karen's situation here. But in general nursing seems like a pretty good career choice for any aspiring pool player.

It's pretty good $$.

You can do it half-time or some other fraction if you are wanting to earn some rent $$ while really focusing on pool.

You can pretty much get a job anywhere and then a year later move and get a new job.

You can take a hiatus and then bet back into it.

You can choose to work not a fixed schedule but rather just be on call. That way you can leave home to to the west coast swing, and then a few months later leave home for another swing...

It is in many places possible to work "full time" as 3 12-hour shifts a week.

If you later quit the pool grind, you've got a good career.

And while you are doing all that and another player is subsidized by the state you don't have snow ball's chance in hell of winning.

SVB and Dennis O. win because they are at the table most of everyday they are on the planet.