What is inside of the REVO shaft?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found this on another message board. Apparently someone got mad and broke one, so it got dissected to see what was inside. :thumbup:

https://imgur.com/a/yjSZnYc#Btnhkw1

304xhs9.jpg

Btnhkw1.jpg

IxTgu0R.jpg

uCP5U2W.jpg

g6RICvX.jpg

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just seen all the photos on Facebook from Tim Monk yesterday. There are much more interesting ones and here it is his description:
"
For all those who wanted to know how the Predator Revo Shaft is made. A friend got mad and broke this revo on the floor. Slammed it down. Then broke the rest over his knee. It broke first near the joint. Knock tip off. I replaced it to show tip end complete. They say the foam is different density through out the shaft. It looks like normal expansion foam to me. The wall thickness is only around 1/32" .032" thick. Kinda thin. They do tenon the black base plate inside of the shaft for strength. So basically it is a ferrule. Just reverse. Not bashing on the Revo shaft at all. Just showing everyone.

Just learned that in the middle is an aluminum plug."

For me it's just one more prove that this shaft is the most overpriced on the market but I could be wrong if they are on such demand and out of stock almost everywhere.
Fairly soon Cuetec is coming and may be the others later on so hopefully it would be possible to get more for less money in the future...

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! It looks pretty expensive to me. Like the pharmaceutical companies say "We can charge what they want.....because they'll pay it."

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that many guys here dont get that research and development of a new product can be very costly. And the manufacturing price of such product is only small portion of the retail price. In fact as long as Revo is on backorder the price tag of it is TOO LOW from bussiness standpoint. Simple as that. And yes, when competition comes with their carbon shafts the price of such product will definitely come down. But until then Predator and Becue are the only cue manufacturers who offer carbon fiber shafts and they can dictate their prices, they just can sell it at premium price tag because they have premium product. Deal with it :rolleyes:;)

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Revo shafts play so good it would prolly be called cheating if I used one. I'm gonna stick to my MAPLE shafts for the benefit of my opponents! Bwahahahaha

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that many guys here dont get that research and development of a new product can be very costly. And the manufacturing price of such product is only small portion of the retail price. In fact as long as Revo is on backorder the price tag of it is TOO LOW from bussiness standpoint. Simple as that. And yes, when competition comes with their carbon shafts the price of such product will definitely come down. But until then Predator and Becue are the only cue manufacturers who offer carbon fiber shafts and they can dictate their prices, they just can sell it at premium price tag because they have premium product. Deal with it :rolleyes:;)

Of course all of this is understandable and the first companies on the market can take off the cream). Anyway everybody is free to make his own choice:wink:
By the way you could met my friends and colleagues from Kiev at the Best of the East in Kelce. Recently I had a talk with Vitaliy Patsura who had become one of the youngest european champions winning the 8-ball at EC a few years ago. He asked me about Revo. Fedor Gorst and other "billiard brothers" from Russia are his good friends. One of the feature which attracts Vitaliy is the smoothness of the shaft and of course the transfer of the energy and deflection so on. He tried the shaft when he had possibility and liked it. He liked how smooth it was. He also talked about it to Fedor. And you know what Fedor told he liked the feel of his Jacoby more. But for the pro of his talent and caliber it's more about sponsorship conditions I quess. Of course there is a result after he joined Predator team but I'm just 100% sure the technical side of the game of course is very important but may be only 10% of the game. The rest 90% you cannot just click and buy...
So the long story short I told Vitaliy to remember what cue he played winning the EC and there were some big matches on the way to his gold. He won in deciding racks with Niels in the 1/4 and Francisco Sanchez Ruiz in the final being only 19 years old.
So I just advised him to be patient and keep practicing and fairly soon there will be better choice of composite shafts for better price or even better get sponsorship...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The foam is not surprising. The wall thickness and materials would be driven by desired strength and stiffness, the foam to dampen the feel and get to the desired weight. Any variation in density is likely just a byproduct of the injection process. There are only two possible basic ways to fill the shaft (from either end). You can play around with the process parameters but I don't think and change in density from one end to the other is significant or all that critical.

Compared to golf shafts, skis, tennis rackets and archery equipment...it's pretty low tech but still a breakthrough application of the relatively old technology.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a guy break a maple shaft in anger one day.

We were all surprised when we saw what was inside it.

NOTHING, but PLAIN WOOD!

Talk about cheap technology.

:)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Is it okay if I deal with it by screwing my maple shaft on?

Or..will I be shunned as a non believer?

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
If you don't like the Revo, then don't play with one. No one is forcing anyone to pay $500 for a shaft. It's not a big deal to everyone.

There are many of us that really like how they play and don't care about the cost.

I'm definitely no sucker, but if that makes JohnnyT happy by saying it, good for him.

I personally really like my Revo. Nope, it's not going to make me a pro level player, that I'm quite aware.

It does fit my needs, I like the way it plays and I could care less if there is foam or horse feathers inside of the shaft.

You don't like it, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. Carry on with the Revo hating, it's pretty amusing.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I saw a guy break a maple shaft in anger one day.

We were all surprised when we saw what was inside it.

NOTHING, but PLAIN WOOD!

Talk about cheap technology.

:)

An old guy at my pool hall used to demo his OB1 shaft by bending it and twisting it around. One day it broke and everyone was surprised by the foam tubing inside. IDK, it seemed so cheap and slapped together....I know, I know it's there for a reason but, in my my mind, foam is for walls and loudspeakers. When you see a hollow tube filled with foam it seems so lame. At least a regular maple shaft has spent years growing, being matured in a controlled environment, cut in stages. Even if it's not high technology it somehow seems more impressive.

The one impressive thing with the Revo, IMO is the coating or surface treatment. The rest is bleh. My 150 dollar spinning rod is a lot more impressive than anything I've seen as far as cue technology goes. The carbon fiber is high modulus the top being made from a different kind of Carbon fiber, blended into the rest...Held up for 10 years of rough fishing in all kinds of environments, still springy, still outcasts many of my friends rods. There is no way that rod is less expensive to make than the Revo, no way in hell. It even has expensive Ceramic rings and a quality cork handle...

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The next generation of carbon shafts will be more expensive and play better than a wood cue shaft. Part of that will be vibration dampening technologies within the fibre structure itself. Like low deflection jump cues cues for example with this new technology. Already been made since 2012, but not mass produced for the masses.
Neil