Great John Schmidt Video!

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I just watched (twice) the new John Schmidt video I received from dmgwalsh this weekend. I have a number of 14.1 instructional videos including the two Jim Rempes, Danny Harriman 280, John's 245,and this has to rank with the most accurate and informative that I have ever seen. The stream of consciousness commentary is just great, John thinks out loud while running 164 and actually stops to explain what he is doing and let us catch up with his thought processes. All of the classic 14.1 must-dos are in there and emphasized appropriately.

This is a must see for anyone who likes 14.1 and wants to improve their game. John can always make a tough shot when he needs to (which he rarely does) and his run only ended when he had virtually no shot at all.

This will be the best $30 you ever spend on a 14.1 video.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Bump

I just watched (twice) the new John Schmidt video I received from dmgwalsh this weekend. I have a number of 14.1 instructional videos including the two Jim Rempes, Danny Harriman 280, John's 245,and this has to rank with the most accurate and informative that I have ever seen. The stream of consciousness commentary is just great, John thinks out loud while running 164 and actually stops to explain what he is doing and let us catch up with his thought processes. All of the classic 14.1 must-dos are in there and emphasized appropriately.

This is a must see for anyone who likes 14.1 and wants to improve their game. John can always make a tough shot when he needs to (which he rarely does) and his run only ended when he had virtually no shot at all.

This will be the best $35 you ever spend on a 14.1 video.

Glad you like it. It is great to watch over and over again. There are so many little things we don't pick up at first.

If anyone else wants to order this or John's earlier 245 ball run, you can send $35 to paypal at gwtlaw@aol.com and this will cover the paypal fees, copying fees, shipping and handling fees. The lion's share goes to the lion himself, John Schmidt.
:grin-square:

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
is the video quality better than his 245 that he did in a garage? Not saying anything bad about the 245, learned alot from it, just wondering how the quality is on the new one with in game commentary.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
is the video quality better than his 245 that he did in a garage? Not saying anything bad about the 245, learned alot from it, just wondering how the quality is on the new one with in game commentary.

The quality is better. The first one he did in a garage and then dubbed the commentary in later. The second one he had more professional help and he played while he was miked and his comments are made as he is playing.

Now the video is not the quality of a Nathan DuMoulin video by a long shot but it is better quality than the first and the material is priceless.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I have 2 of John's 14.1 discs and i watch them regularly.

is there now a 3rd disc ?

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I have 2 of John's 14.1 discs and i watch them regularly.

is there now a 3rd disc ?

Steve

No, Steve. This is the second one he did. Exactly How I run 100s. I guess some guys weren't into 14.1 when it first came out. I am helping John out by selling a few for him and giving him the money.

p.s.

It won't be real long until he has the 239 and the 294 on a diamond out with commentary.

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
"It won't be real long until he has the 239 and the 294 on a diamond out with commentary. I got a sneak preview without the commentary and I believe it will be worth the wait".

Sign me up!

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Got the video last week. I feel like I am finally thinking the right way through straight pool racks thanks to this video. Best investment for my straight pool game, besides my own table.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I enjoyed it a lot. John speaks surprisingly well and stays really focused for a guy who has to chat while shooting.

Speaking of focused though, the autofocus on that camera gave me something like an ice-cream headache sometimes. It was rough on the eyes when it would rapidly jiggle between sharp and blur. The quality of it is better than the garage video but not as nice as the accustats one. I think it'd be fantastic though if they can find a setting to lock in the focus.

The commentary is top notch though and it's always a pleasure seeing john shoot. His cue ball control is too good and he makes it look so easy. He shoots so straight too, if he gets jacked up over a ball and must drill an ugly cut up the rail, he just shoots it in and continues his run. Makes me a little sick :)

A minor thing... I think there are a couple of cases where he says "actually I think I'll shoot this instead" but doesn't spell out the exact thought process. Having played some I recognize it, and maybe this is really marketed to those who will figure it out anyway. But I wouldn't mind john explaining even more... though it may be somewhat tiring for him.

I'll be signing up to get the next two as soon as possible.