14.1 tourney ideas needed

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to put together a 14.1 tourney. Lincoln hasn't seen a 14.1 tourney since i don't know when, so it's time. Any ideas on what we should play to, or bracket set ups are welcomed. This tourney is primarily to determine real interest in a league i want to start. I hope to separate the talkers from the players. I think it will catch on if done right, so i ask you: what do you like in a tourney?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
good idea to have a Tourney to generate interest, and to determine the Handicaps before league starts.

consider having a High Run Prize, and a cumulative high run prize.

what i mean by cumulative, is every time a player runs over a set score it is added to his tally. then by the end of the league the person with the highest tally wins that prize kitty.

also you could try to have bonus points for matches that players win before their opponent gets to 50% of his score. so if you are getting 2 points for a win it would double to 4.

These are a few of the ideas that worked well in the 14.1 league in my home room.

Talk to Charlie (Forumghost516) here on AZ, he was our 14.1 director. he has alot of great ideas for leagues !

Good Luck !
Steve

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good idea to have a Tourney to generate interest, and to determine the Handicaps before league starts.

consider having a High Run Prize, and a cumulative high run prize.

what i mean by cumulative, is every time a player runs over a set score it is added to his tally. then by the end of the league the person with the highest tally wins that prize kitty.

also you could try to have bonus points for matches that players win before their opponent gets to 50% of his score. so if you are getting 2 points for a win it would double to 4.

These are a few of the ideas that worked well in the 14.1 league in my home room.

Talk to Charlie (Forumghost516) here on AZ, he was our 14.1 director. he has alot of great ideas for leagues !

Good Luck !
Steve

Excellent ideas steve, thanks for the input! I'll pm charlie asap.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought about that as well. Trying to keep it as a double elimination[bracket style] if possible, but we'll see.
In olden days, 14.1 was round robin throughout. The problem is to finish in a reasonable amount of time if the slow players take 1.5-2 hours. Then double elimination is a killer.

If you have lots of tables available, I think this is better: Round Robin in groups of four in the prelims. Top two advance to single elimination. With 32 players and at least 16 tables, that's a total of only 7 rounds and everyone has at least 3 matches. In double elimination, it will take 10 rounds and 1/4 of the players will get only 2 matches.

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in Mr Jewett. I will have 6 tables, 5 gc's and a diamond. This might take a while....i'd love to do a round robin if it's possible.Points will be kept down for the first tourney to keep pace up. I hope it's a good barometer for starting handicaps in a new league i'm wanting to start.