break question...

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
When you first rack to start your run, do rack all 15 and break or is there a standard place for the 15th ball out of rack? Also after the first rack leaving the last ball and cue ball on the table, so you pick up from there or is it considered a foul if with the cue or on in rack area? If it is a foul, where do you restart from?

I'm going for personal best but I want to adhere to the rules.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Lots of views no replies.

The reason I ask is because no rules I've found clearly outline the question I pose.

On the initial break, where does the 15th or head ball go legally?

Is it considered foul if you end up with the cue or 15th ball in the rack if not, where does the 15th ball go to start the next rack?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If what you want to do is see how many balls you can run then rack 14 balls, put the CB & 15th ball in whatever position you'd like. Shoot the ball & break the rack. If you run all the balls you leave the CB & last ball in position & rack the 14 balls. Shoot the 15th ball & break the rack. This process continues until you miss.

When it's time to rack if the CB happens to be in the rack then you get ball in hand behind the headstring. In that case you can't shoot the 15th ball if it is also behind the line, you must shoot down table. One exception (if the rule hasn't changed) is that you can shoot a ball behind the headstring if you place the CB directly on the headspot.

If the 15th ball ends up in the rack it is spotted on the headspot & you can shoot it regardless of where the CB lies. Other rules apply but this should get you going.

Watch some 14.1 videos & you'll get the idea pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL14CFE4CF07559A8B

Last edited: