Speed 14.1

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Speed 14.1 + Video

Maybe not one for the purists but anyone ever tried this? I had a go last night for a bit of fun and managed 32 in 4:45 (including racking). It almost killed me lol sooo unfit!

I heard Hohman can do 100 balls in 10 minutes not including racking, is that true?

I was wondering if its possible to run 50 balls in under 5 minutes, maybe have to start with 8 loose balls so only 3 rackings?

:confused:

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do that when I need to get my brain going. I never timed it, but that sounds interesting. I guess you can't fault playing fast if you make the right choices. I've heard that Mr Mosconi used to be standing behind his next shot waiting for the CB to stop rolling! that's pretty fast IMO :)

Maybe for the sake of fun it would be cool to chart the fast runs then do the same thing having to take at least maybe 45 seconds per shot. Might be tough for me to wait like that! Grady talks about this subject in the Zuglan v West match on Accu-stats.

Gerry

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I do that when I need to get my brain going. I never timed it, but that sounds interesting. I guess you can't fault playing fast if you make the right choices. I've heard that Mr Mosconi used to be standing behind his next shot waiting for the CB to stop rolling! that's pretty fast IMO :)

Maybe for the sake of fun it would be cool to chart the fast runs then do the same thing having to take at least maybe 45 seconds per shot. Might be tough for me to wait like that! Grady talks about this subject in the Zuglan v West match on Accu-stats.

Gerry

Interesting Gerry, one thing I thought it might help with as you suggest is the thought process. At last years 14.1 event time was an issue with many matches going to a shot clock at a crucial stage! :eek:

I panicked in my match with Danny at one point and played an outrageous carom as the clock ticked down lol

I hope the schedule is a little less tight this year but no harm preparing for the worst I guess.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a brilliant idea. In addition to just being fun it seems like it could be a big help to cut down on 'overthinking' a situation, especially in 14.1.

Years ago I worked in NYC at Julians Pool Room. There was a very talented guy who was the sloooooowest player I ever saw. Couldn't get a game because of it, especially not in 14.1. I told him " Look, your good but if you don't play faster you'll never get any rythem in your game and it will stay the same level".

This excercise would have been perfect for him. And for everyone!

Thanks

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
45 Balls in 5:45

The quality is average but you might find this video amusing!

A few BAAAD shot selections and an embarrassing end to miss out on the 50! :mad:

I think if I speed up my racking this proves 50 in 5 minutes might be possible? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xob2OkguLc

***Warning***
Some bad language! :eek:

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
TheOne said:
The quality is average but you might find this video amusing!

A few BAAAD shot selections and an embarrassing end to miss out on the 50! :mad:

I think if I speed up my racking this proves 50 in 5 minutes might be possible? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xob2OkguLc

***Warning***
Some bad language! :eek:

Thanks, that was very funny! Did you hurt your leg or something, you were limping heavily in the end?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Lou Butera wasn't far off from running balls at the speed that you're talking about ... and he wasn't doing it as a joke.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
pooladdict said:
Thanks, that was very funny! Did you hurt your leg or something, you were limping heavily in the end?

I dont recall hurting anything accept my lungs hehe :eek:

Jimmy, there are quite a few players that I'd like to see do this. The ginger wizard is of course super fast but I think it's much harder not to miss a ball and also get a break ball at the end.

PS
Noticed you're not on the 2007 list...don't be shy! :D

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Noticed you're not on the 2007 list...don't be shy! :D

My table at home is much too tough to run many balls on it. It has roughly 4' pockets, the rails are bouncy as hell, the pockets jar balls instead of accepting them, and the balls, no matter how clean I keep them (and no matter how clean I keep my cloth - I keep the table covered and vacuum it regularly), don't spread apart at all. I'd be selling myself short if I were really looking to make high runs on the table. There are a few forum members who have been to my house and who have played on the table and can attest to how ridiculously tough the table plays. I have runs of 83 and 84 on my table and I felt like I ran 183 and 184. I do have higher runs but, since this is the table that I play on pretty much every day, I don't really feel like I have an opportunity to put any decent runs together on any sort of regular basis. It's really just a matter of whether or not I'll have a decent run on the one day every week or two that I happen to go to the pool room to hit balls.

My table is "ok" for practicing 9-ball but, since I have no desire to really practice 9-ball, I'm selling the table very soon and buying a new one. Most likely I'll buy a new Diamond because I know what to expect "out of the box", so to speak.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a triple shim GC4 a few years back that was way too tight for anything but 1 hole. I could never get rolling on that thing playing 14.1. I actually think it was hurting my game! I've been practicing lately on a double shim GC3 and I think it is perfect for all games. When I get on a soft table the pockets look HUGE!

Gerry