Why do many players spend more on a cue than they do for a pool table?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would certainly buy it. I would then promptly sell it to you guys. You guys would get to enjoy it and I would get to further fund my retirement. :wink:

LOL!

I suspected as much. :thumbup: Smart man.:smile:

Personally, until recently I never spent more than $200 on a cue actually. The one that went past there did so by a goodly amount. It was just one of those love at first sight things. I couldn't help it. But it was still nowhere near the 1500 mark.

So...I wouldn't be a customer. LOL! :thumbup:

The difference really is that if I found that monster bargain cue, I wouldn't sell it.

I have a cue problem. :rolleyes::grin:

Banks

Banned
Do you own a football or football field?

Tennis racket or tennis court?

Golf clubs or golf course?

Baseball bat or baseball field?

How many of those can you fit into your house? :confused:

Secondly, how many bats do you own that are worth more than the field?

Pretty sure ive also matched my high run with a ramen cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of those can you fit into your house? :confused:

Secondly, how many bats do you own that are worth more than the field?

Pretty sure ive also matched my high run with a ramen cue.

Well, depends on how big your house is I suppose.

How many tables can you fit in your house?

I have about 80 pool cues. I don't have room for 80 tables.

I don't own any bats. But I have a friend who was quite a reputable person swinging a bat. I am pretty sure he has a bat that he values more than some baseball fields.

It's all in perspective.

There isn't a table in the world I would trade my Joss for.

Last edited:

Banks

Banned

I don't own any bats. But I have a friend who was quite a reputable person swinging a bat. I am pretty sure he has a bat that he values more than some baseball fields.

It's all in perspective.

I absolutely can't stand playing on a horrible table. To me, it's the difference in making a meal with poor ingredients and good utensils or good ingredients with poor utensils. An old, slow valley is one thing, but dead rails, etc.. just takes the enjoyment right out of it.

I agree on the perspective thing.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I absolutely can't stand playing on a horrible table. To me, it's the difference in making a meal with poor ingredients and good utensils or good ingredients with poor utensils. An old, slow valley is one thing, but dead rails, etc.. just takes the enjoyment right out of it.

I agree on the perspective thing.

I completely agree with this. This is the reason I bought my own table in the first place. The tables in my city's lone remaining pool hall are terrible quality olhausen furniture tables. They will spit balls right back onto the table that split the wicket perfectly. Pitiful and not fun at all to play on. Given the affordability of even a used Gold Crown, you would think they could have had those installed instead. This is the reason I primarily play in my home and buddies homes. We at least get to enjoy playing on good equipment.

Edit for pool room owners: do take note of this. I am not the only one who feels this way. Back when we had gold crowns and diamonds to play on, I was a 20 hour a week player and my estimated annual spend at the pool room was about 3k. If I'm gonna pay to play, it ain't gonna be on junk!

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

How many tables can you fit in your house?

I have about 80 pool cues. I don't have room for 80 tables.

It's all in perspective.

He may value his bat more than anything he wants, but he did not pay more than $200 if it was made of wood, even customized to his weight, diameter and type of wood ;)

It's still a $200 bat, and that's the high end for a wood bat. Most non customized wood bats off the shelf are less than $50, with the better quality ones around $100.

I can order a custom bat for under $200 engraved with my name, #, and exact weight and barrel and handle dimensions... However, they do NOT have LD bats yet, so you still tend to foul off some pitches ;)

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
He may value his bat more than anything he wants, but he did not pay more than $200 if it was made of wood, even customized to his weight, diameter and type of wood ;)

It's still a $200 bat, and that's the high end for a wood bat. Most non customized wood bats off the shelf are less than $50, with the better quality ones around $100.

I can order a custom bat for under $200 engraved with my name, #, and exact weight and barrel and handle dimensions... However, they do NOT have LD bats yet, so you still tend to foul off some pitches ;)

How much for a cocobolo bat that has been cored with purpleheart?

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
For the same reason a guy buys a 5 series BMW and lives in 1 bedroom apartment with a roommate, it is for the chicks.

Not many chicks will complement you on your table, but a shaft? You betcha!:thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually, he paid a hefty sum for it. But of course, it's a "special" bat.

Sure, you can get your name engraved on a bat. But if he got his name engraved it would immediately be worth a lot more.

Anyway, I would think an LD bat would foul more, no? :rolleyes::D

As I said, it's all in the perspective.

Values vary from person to person...in fact that seems to be the topic at hand.

Clearly we value things differently. Thankfully we both value pool, which leads us to this discussion. If we didn't share that we wouldn't even be talking. :thumbup:

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am having a hard time figuring out how to spend more than $800 on cloth and rails. Not liking my chances with a table that cost less than that.

Thank you kindly.

Artemis cushions=$300.00
Simonis 860=$320.00
Modify sub-rails and tighten pockets=$600.00
The above does not include labor to assemble the table

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I spent about $2100.00 on table, modifications, light, and cue rack. The total for all of the cues is almost exactly the same, most expensive one was the D 19 McDermott (4th from left), I think I have a total of $675.00 invested in it.including the refinish.

picture.php

picture.php

JC

Coos Cues
I've got one or two Diamonds and play with a cut house cue.

My girlfriend likes vacations more. :thumbup:

The best tables are the ones that pay you back.

Dump her ASAP and get a real cue man!!

JC

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good observation. I spent money on lessons and it did help me become a better player.

Speaking of player, I can play just as well with my Players brand J/B cue as I can with any of my (or your) customs.

Now, just to show that I hope to still be part of the cue cheerleader club, check out this Hulsey cue. I think it is what you guys refer to as a "Monster"? I love this guy's creativity. I see so many South Wests and such that pretty much look all the same. this guy is doing something different for sure. I dig it. IF I were to spend YOUR money on a cue, this is what I would buy.

8_zpsad3aa876.jpg

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/ST...JAKE HULSEY/8_zpsad3aa876.jpg.html?sort=9&o=7

See, this is the neat thing about pool cues. You like that cue, and I would never buy it - even with your money.

Gideon<----Different strokes...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't take your pool table to the pool room so everybody can tell you how great it is.
But you can take you cue.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the same reason a guy buys a 5 series BMW and lives in 1 bedroom apartment with a roommate, it is for the chicks.

Not many chicks will complement you on your table, but a shaft? You betcha!:thumbup:

Sadly, 99% of chicks could care less about a great cue.

However, pull a monster cue out of your case and it's guaranteed to be a dude magnet. I suppose some fellas dig that sort of attention.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without reading every post the simple fact is if you need to get your money back for an expensive cue it's a hell of a lot easier then a pool table. You generally lose your ass when you sell a table.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious. I shelled out $3100 for my table, a used Diamond 9 footer. Love it. The most I ever shelled out for a cue was $500 and I lamented the price thereafter. My current cue is a $200 used one I picked up here on AZB for sale. Seems to me that the table is the more important purchase, but that does not seem to be the case here in AZB la la land.

Do you regularly take your table with you when you go out to play pool?

Dale