Mosconi Cup Tournament Table - Opinions?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to state a few points concerning the pockets of RASSON tables at all events:
1. As a professional table manufacturer who have near 30 years of experience in billiard products(actually the biggest solid wood table manufacturer&exporter in the market now), RASSON are defenitely able to make the tables and cut pockets strictly according to the requirements of tournament organizations or customers.
2. Pockets specs RASSON usually make are WPA, Matchroom, EPBF, GB9, Dragon Promotions (All of them require different pocket sizes for their tournaments).
3. One tournament/organizor may require to change the pocket sizes for same event in different years; or for different events at same year.
4. Table pocket template/sizes are governed&required by the organizor, not RASSON
5. All players play on same table
The table looks like it's playing a little better for day 2 - pockets playing not quite as generous. I noticed when a cue ball was very close to a corner pocket, the ball appeared oblong and not round, which tells me what I thought was the slate drop-off radius not being aligned was just the distorted view from the overhead camera. The cloth just seems to be playing a little slower than I would expect for new Simonis.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I must say that today was very entertaining. Good to see the USA out to a lead. They are looking strong and Europe looks a little worried. :grin:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a chance to talk with the table fitter while he was tweaking it on Wednesday afternoon. The Rasson table has a metal frame and a bunch of adjustment screws. The carpet is still settling. I didn't notice any roll-offs during the first day of play.

The corner pockets will take two balls onto the flat of the facings but not to the drop. They are maybe very slightly larger than Diamonds if you measure them the same way. I would call that a 4.5-inch pocket. I was surprised by the measurement -- I guess the new cloth and the lights are at work. Like others I was surprised by some of the balls that are dropping.

I did feel the facings and they don't seem to be particularly soft but that's not a test I do a lot.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides the pockets being an issue I saw something today that had me scratching my head. I saw several balls coming off the rails that became airborne immediately. This happened with object balls and the cue ball. The shots were not hit anywhere near hard enough for this to occur. Very easy tables. Sort of like a nine foot Valley....

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone post a video of shots going down the rail and sliding/falling in that makes people think the pockets are too big? Or the table is playing too easy?

I cant seem to find anything along these lines myself. I'd like to see if its as bad as what some are saying.

r/DCP

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I had a chance to talk with the table fitter while he was tweaking it on Wednesday afternoon. The Rasson table has a metal frame and a bunch of adjustment screws. The carpet is still settling. I didn't notice any roll-offs during the first day of play.

The corner pockets will take two balls onto the flat of the facings but not to the drop. They are maybe very slightly larger than Diamonds if you measure them the same way. I would call that a 4.5-inch pocket. I was surprised by the measurement -- I guess the new cloth and the lights are at work. Like others I was surprised by some of the balls that are dropping.

I did feel the facings and they don't seem to be particularly soft but that's not a test I do a lot.
The end rail facings do not look straight to me .
They look like they have a cupping.

Also, Rasson went dumb on their cushions.
Sure, they are Artemis. But, why K66 profile ( pool 66 ) instead of K55 (intercontinental 66?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure, they are Artemis. But, why K66 profile ( pool 66 ) instead of K55 (intercontinental 66?
Likely to save $150? As long as they are Artemis, what's the difference, assuming the subrails are designed for the Artemis pool 66 (K66 profile) as opposed to the Intercontinental (K55 profile) ?

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The pockets appear to be playing ridiculously big for this level of competition, and the players know it, so are they are playing very aggressive and cheating the heck out of the pockets when necessary, and making balls on clearly missed shots even when there is no reason for them to be cheating the pocket.

Overall very disappointing for a Mosconi Cup table, in my opinion.

It's NOT a WPA event, it's entertainment....if you want tighter pockets, watch the US Open 2019 4-21 to 4-26 @ Mandalay Bay.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some of the overhead camera views can be deceiving / distorting, which may account for what you think you are seeing regarding the cupped corner pocket facings. At one point today the cue ball was right in front of a corner pocket and from the overhead camera view the cue ball appeared to be not round but oval shaped - very strange.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Did anyone watch the Mosconi practice matches last week? The table seemed like it was playing very slow, a ball that you expected to roll down the table and hit the short rail and bounce away 2 diamonds would not even make it to the short rail. Is the table still playing slow like that? It seemed to be the cloth as much as the cushions causing it to play slow.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone watch the Mosconi practice matches last week? The table seemed like it was playing very slow, a ball that you expected to roll down the table and hit the short rail and bounce away 2 diamonds would not even make it to the short rail. Is the table still playing slow like that? It seemed to be the cloth as much as the cushions causing it to play slow.
Different location and maybe even a different table.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion, that’s one ugly table. Looks like a hybrid of GC and Diamond. I can’t tell if the pockets have leather or rubber.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s day 1

901dbbde048edff6a9ac1131690e08dc.jpg

Here’s day 2

b703dcdd9587fae3497b9f76330fe8a4.jpg

Here’s the day 1 pot

https://youtu.be/wQdygi4FzCo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
Can someone post a video of shots going down the rail and sliding/falling in that makes people think the pockets are too big? Or the table is playing too easy?

I cant seem to find anything along these lines myself. I'd like to see if its as bad as what some are saying.

r/DCP

It doesn't get any more ridiculous than this

https://youtu.be/nQcuEi1x1tM?t=2497

Unless it's this

https://youtu.be/nQcuEi1x1tM?t=5150

And this one may take the cake

https://youtu.be/nQcuEi1x1tM?t=5425

JC

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are acting like you've never went to the pool hall the day the tables were recovered. Every table in the world plays loose like the Mosconi TV tables do when the cloth is brand new. Every year everyone complains the table is too easy. This is completely normal for new cloth.

The jump bank shot that Styer shit in off of the side pocket tit is also a very common shit-in. I know I've hit that shot myself a bunch of times over the years. It is so common especially in bank pool, that they always stipulate before a tournament if hitting the tit on the side pocket on a straight back bank counts as 1 rail or 2 rails.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wait, you, like me, hate the way Diamond cushions play, and you want another table brand to use the same ones?!

This Rasson table looks like it is playing perfect speed to me.