Stroke! Wonder How to get their fantastic Strokes?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Maybe when you and I play.

I'm just stating the facts. There are more people who aren't pool scientists with titles than there are pool scientists with titles.
Fewer college graduates too. Even fewer who understand stats.

So your point is better players are less intelligent...

pj <- and then imply you’re a better player - lol
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Can we all admit there are God given strokes and most of us have second rate strokes? It seems like we could advance our strokes with practice but I don't think that is the case. It's like hitting the driver over 300 yards. Some of the golfers have it and others do not.
I'm wondering if Earl's stroke and my stroke could be measured in such a way to see the difference. "Force Follow" action might be a way to see how much the cue ball bends to see how one's stroke works out. My teacher can BEND the cue ball twice as much as I can and I'm sure Earl could bend it even more. Wonder if that is a great test?
Does anyone know of a great test to test the stroke?
This might be the reason to see a great teacher like I have.... just to see the difference in your stroke and someone that has the "gift".

Honestly, I don't want to "admit" that. I think anyone can become an A player if not a pro, with good instruction and good habits.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
As always, it's both. Talent does it (and often misunderstands it) - science explains it.

pj <- cool shot, but had to be juiced
chgo

Firstly, this shot does need a fairly NEW cloth, so NO juice really!

Secondly, YOU got the floor, explain the science! Mr Wizard.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firstly, this shot does need a fairly NEW cloth, so NO juice really!

Secondly, YOU got the floor, explain the science! Mr Wizard.

I watched the vid and was about to comment about the lack of science is "fine" but the "need" for new cloth and the "necessity" of skill/practice is of the utmost importance.

Again, very few scientists are running racks.

I'm not saying good players are not educated. Hell, I was a math major and then went back for computer engineering.

Would I be educated by most standards? Don't know, dont give a ratza55.

What I do know is:

What ever I make happen on a pool table has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with SCIENCE....in my mind ..... while I'm stroking at the CB.

I'm not thinking about ANYTHING while I'm playing.....or.....or atleast that is my goal.

Bottom line:

The less I think, the better I play.

And...... The better I play, the less I have to think.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can we all admit there are God given strokes and most of us have second rate strokes? It seems like we could advance our strokes with practice but I don't think that is the case. It's like hitting the driver over 300 yards. Some of the golfers have it and others do not.
I'm wondering if Earl's stroke and my stroke could be measured in such a way to see the difference. "Force Follow" action might be a way to see how much the cue ball bends to see how one's stroke works out. My teacher can BEND the cue ball twice as much as I can and I'm sure Earl could bend it even more. Wonder if that is a great test?
Does anyone know of a great test to test the stroke?
This might be the reason to see a great teacher like I have.... just to see the difference in your stroke and someone that has the "gift".

Short answer: no, we dont "all admit there are God given strokes and most of us have second rate strokes".
Long answer: if you have a GOOD INSTRUCTOR (this one is really important part) and willingness to work hard almost anyone can get to the point where fundamentals are not what is holding you back. And I can tell that finding a good instructor is not an easy task, I have seen so many great players who are NOT good at teaching other people, also many self-confident "instructors" who are plain bad with poor fundamentals (many of them even here on AZB). But how do you tell beforehand as a student of the game? Thats a tough one, you got to be lucky I guess and also use a common sense :thumbup:
I am definitely not what you would call a natural at this game, it takes a LOT of time for me to learn new movement stereotypes, it has probably a lot to do with the fact that I have been cerebral palsy patient as a baby/kid so my motoric skills are really hard-earned. But I have got a good eye sight and I have passion for the practicing and competing. And after 20 years of playing/practicing in the evenings 2-3 hours a day (I practice after my regular day job) I am around 700 Fargorate with my game lacking consistency mainly in position play and breaking, but my fundamentals are holding quite good because I have been taught by a GOOD INSTRUCTOR. And I know for sure that if I dedicated twice the time for my practice (which I cant because of my job and my family) I would rise reasonably fast to maybe 740-750 level. I dont have such time for practice but it doesnt prevent me to enjoy the game. ;)
To wrap it up: if even I can learn proficient stroke (I definitely wouldnt call my stroke second rate) then basically anybody can, pure and simple, it "just" takes a LOT of work and GOOD instruction:thumbup:
Happy hunting :grin::grin::grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol

What do you think a “scientist” is?

pj
chgo

I was involved with science in a couple of ways during one of my careers. I was a computer engineer for longer than I planned....got to pay the Bill's huh?

There was other paths I would've love to have took but, life just doesn't alway allow us to do as we wish, right?

Anyways, yes, I know what science is and who works in the various fields of science. I was closely involved in a couple of research projects that ....lol...."almost" become famous......ALMOST being key word. Instead of becoming something everyone heard of, it was swept under the rug due like many other projects that stop due to lack of funding.

In my, longer than wished for job in research, I knew lots and lots of people that could "explain" how something come to pass or be, such as the physics of billiards but, LOLLOLOLOL, most of them couldn't make a ball with BIH.

Having said that, I did work with one fellow that played pretty sporty. He also was employed in scientific research but, he was like myself and:

misspent "some" of his youth in a couple rooms.

Therefore, he...not only could talk-the-talk, he could walk-the-walk.

But yeah, I've been around "science nerds" most of my life and at the same time I can/did fit in with a group of pipefitters/welders as well.

I guess you could say:

I'm a well-rounded-individual......career wise so, yes, I know what they do/it is.

All of the above happened over several decades and during those years I come to understand one thing:

those that can't do it Normally talk the loudest and those that are the best are normally the ones sitting in the corner and never say a word. They dont have to, their "work" speaks for them.

A vid is worth a thousand diagrams/drawings to people that actually "do".

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short answer: no, we dont "all admit there are God given strokes and most of us have second rate strokes".
Long answer: if you have a GOOD INSTRUCTOR (this one is really important part) and willingness to work hard almost anyone can get to the point where fundamentals are not what is holding you back. And I can tell that finding a good instructor is not an easy task, I have seen so many great players who are NOT good at teaching other people, also many self-confident "instructors" who are plain bad with poor fundamentals (many of them even here on AZB). But how do you tell beforehand as a student of the game? Thats a tough one, you got to be lucky I guess and also use a common sense :thumbup:
I am definitely not what you would call a natural at this game, it takes a LOT of time for me to learn new movement stereotypes, it has probably a lot to do with the fact that I have been cerebral palsy patient as a baby/kid so my motoric skills are really hard-earned. But I have got a good eye sight and I have passion for the practicing and competing. And after 20 years of playing/practicing in the evenings 2-3 hours a day (I practice after my regular day job) I am around 700 Fargorate with my game lacking consistency mainly in position play and breaking, but my fundamentals are holding quite good because I have been taught by a GOOD INSTRUCTOR. And I know for sure that if I dedicated twice the time for my practice (which I cant because of my job and my family) I would rise reasonably fast to maybe 740-750 level. I dont have such time for practice but it doesnt prevent me to enjoy the game. ;)
To wrap it up: if even I can learn proficient stroke (I definitely wouldnt call my stroke second rate) then basically anybody can, pure and simple, it "just" takes a LOT of work and GOOD instruction:thumbup:
Happy hunting :grin::grin::grin:

Marek,

I agree 100%. I play with several people that are not even in Fargo but, like myself, they've played lower-tier pros with no spot and can hold their own while doing so for the cheese.....no tournaments but, we'll gamble with them when they are in town and have time/energy to play cheap....cheap being key most of the time.

Like most of the guys I was speaking about, my fundamentals weren't "God given", that's for sure....lol....not even close.

Like you, I work on my weaknesses a few hours a day, everyday. I "HAVE TO", to stay at even a weak shortstop speed. If I skip my drills.....etc...etc, well, within a week or so, I wouldn't even be considered decent, much less a shortstop.

Unlike you, I'm retired and have lots and lots of time but, I'm just not physically able to stand long enough or hold my concentration long enough to get to the next level.

It sucks but, at the same time....lol.....other than God and family.....its the most important thing in my life and has been for a long time.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek,

Unlike you, I'm retired and have lots and lots of time but, I'm just not physically able to stand long enough or hold my concentration long enough to get to the next level.

Well I can asure you that even at age of 41 I am very much aware of the fact that the ability to practice long hours (and to compete at the high level) goes away with the time so I dedicated myself recently to improving my fitness level to turn back the time a little. And I am amazed what 2 months of tight fitness regime accompanied by heathy diet did to my body and my game. Stroke-wise I feel like myself 2014 edition, also I am not sweating during practice and competition nearly as much as I did 3 months back. I just have to stay patient and dont rush anything to avoid any injuries (I am prone to tendons imflammation). And if I succeed in getting my "new" body I may even discover that I have a shot at being moderately successful at this game ;) Who knows :D

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
contradicting yourself while saying I am lacking in understanding

I think you need to check your understanding of the methods.

Backhand and fronthand English are methods used with different cues that produce different amounts of squirt, because they produce different cue angles when hitting the same CB spot. With one you move the back hand sideways (producing more angle for more squirt) and with the other you move the front hand sideways (producing less angle for less squirt).

I don’t think parallel English is an actual thing unless squirt is nullified somehow, like with swerve.

pj
chgo

pj,

You have just proven you would argue with a signpost for the sake of arguing! When I said that the different ways of applying english created different angles you proclaimed they were just different ways of getting the same angle.

Now you are saying exactly the same thing I said about fronthand and backhand english, they create different angles. Having grasped this much I hope you can grasp that moving the front and back of the stick equal amounts from the centerline of the shot also creates a different angle than moving only the front or back of the cue.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When I said that the different ways of applying english created different angles you proclaimed they were just different ways of getting the same angle.
Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that the different ways of applying english (FHE or BHE) could be used with the same stick for the same shot - different cueing angles producing the same result.

If you didn't mean that, then my mistake. If you did mean that, then your mistake.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I knew lots and lots of people that could "explain" how something come to pass or be, such as the physics of billiards but, LOLLOLOLOL, most of them couldn't make a ball with BIH.
How many of them even played much? It takes a huge commitment of time and effort to get proficient at pool - the guys you're talking about have educations, careers (with actual incomes) and lives. To put it another way, how many really good pool players are good at anything else, especially academics?

In my experience, those who complain the loudest about "science" and "analysis/paralysis" are mostly trying to "hit back" after something they said was corrected.

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
three different angles, same shot, at least one other variable has to change!

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that the different ways of applying english (FHE or BHE) could be used with the same stick for the same shot - different cueing angles producing the same result.

If you didn't mean that, then my mistake. If you did mean that, then your mistake.

pj
chgo

pj,

Same stick, three different angles, obviously to get the same result at least one other variable has to change. Since we can hit further out on the cue ball with one angle than another generally it is where the cue ball is hit that is different. You were insisting that hitting the same spot on the cue ball using the different types of applying side would give the same result. That will never happen without changing a second variable.

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I can asure you that even at age of 41 I am very much aware of the fact that the ability to practice long hours (and to compete at the high level) goes away with the time so I dedicated myself recently to improving my fitness level to turn back the time a little. And I am amazed what 2 months of tight fitness regime accompanied by heathy diet did to my body and my game. Stroke-wise I feel like myself 2014 edition, also I am not sweating during practice and competition nearly as much as I did 3 months back. I just have to stay patient and dont rush anything to avoid any injuries (I am prone to tendons imflammation). And if I succeed in getting my "new" body I may even discover that I have a shot at being moderately successful at this game ;) Who knows :D

Sounds like a "sound" plan. Stay the course Sir!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of them even played much? It takes a huge commitment of time and effort to get proficient at pool - the guys you're talking about have educations, careers (with actual incomes) and lives. To put it another way, how many really good pool players are good at anything else, especially academics?

In my experience, those who complain the loudest about "science" and "analysis/paralysis" are mostly trying to "hit back" after something they said was corrected.

pj
chgo

I dont need anyone telling me about commitment and time to a career. I was one of those people for almost three decades.

That's why I didn't play pool for almost 25 years. I heard others say they played but, we had a rec room at work.... it had a pool table in it and I watched for a minute or two ever so often. Out of the dozens and dozens of colleagues, there was only one that I could even bridge correctly.

Anyways, lol.... I spent the majority of my days arguing about funding, equipment theories....etc...etc..

I am retired now. I'm more of a "show me" kind of a guy these days.

I hear someone say, "I can do (x)", well, I'm poppin corn cause I want to "see it".