In 8ball pool, what happens if the 8-ball is behind the head string and my opponent s

ipman1

Lets say my opponent still has 4 more stripes to pocket, however I've already pocketed all the solid balls, so my object ball is the 8-ball. The 8-ball is currently behind the head string, and it's my opponents turn. He scratches.

The rules say that on a scratch, you cannot make contact with a ball behind the head string. Does this mean I have to shoot across the table and if I don't make contact with the 8-ball, I lose?? I've heard that if you table scratch on the 8-ball, you automatically lose, no exceptions. If this is true, wouldn't it be strategic for opponent to intentionally scratch if he notices the 8-ball is behind the head string?

This doesn't seem logical at all. Please help?? I hope my question made sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
"The rules"?

Lets say my opponent still has 4 more stripes to pocket, however I've already pocketed all the solid balls, so my object ball is the 8-ball. The 8-ball is currently behind the head string, and it's my opponents turn. He scratches.

The rules say that on a scratch, you cannot make contact with a ball behind the head string. Does this mean I have to shoot across the table and if I don't make contact with the 8-ball, I lose?? I've heard that if you table scratch on the 8-ball, you automatically lose, no exceptions. If this is true, wouldn't it be strategic for opponent to intentionally scratch if he notices the 8-ball is behind the head string?

This doesn't seem logical at all. Please help?? I hope my question made sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You make reference to "the rules"...there are numerous variations on the rules of 8-ball. You can find the World Standardized Rules at the BCAPl (Billiard Congress of America Pool Leagues) and the ACS (American Cue Sports) websites. Many of us believe that the (pool) world would be a better place if everyone played the same rules...

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make reference to "the rules"...there are numerous variations on the rules of 8-ball. You can find the World Standardized Rules at the BCAPl (Billiard Congress of America Pool Leagues) and the ACS (American Cue Sports) websites. Many of us believe that the (pool) world would be a better place if everyone played the same rules...

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Are there still people who don't play 1 foul ball in hand though? I would burn whatever rule book you are referring to and go by BCA or wpa. Both are 1 foul ball in hand. There is no headstring except when your opponent fouls on the break shot

Last edited:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member

The rule is the same when one or more of your only remaining balls are behind the head string. The ball nearest the head string is spotted. If the 8 ball is the only one left, then it gets spotted. There is no variation of the rules where you get penalized because of your opponents foul.

Rules exist to make the game fair not to create advantages.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At my "local bar", if the 8 ball is in the kitchen, and the other player scratches, you would have to shoot from the kitchen and kick at the 8 ball.

however, failing to make contact with the 8 ball is not loss of game, just end of turn

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Agree with Donny Lutz, which set of rules? For example if I play BCA, its Ball in Hand anywhere if my opponent scratch or

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Agree with Donny Lutz, which set of rules? BCA, WPA & APA differ on major points.