Would you be willing to dress nice to raise the opinion of billiards?

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
When you go to your local pool hall, or any pool hall, would you be willing to dress up like they used to in the old days? If it would raise the stature of billiards in the public's eye and help the game, would you do it? Hell, it might even bring women back to pool halls.

pool-hall-1913-s.jpg

Local20Pool20Hall20-20Interior-1.jpg

40fb163f-7cf7-43ec-92fe-daa8c65c6283.jpg

Web.Rags.HoFamers2.jpg

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
In a televised tournament? sure. Playing at the room? No chance. I wear a suit 5 days a week. I play in track pants and a t-shirt. My goal is to be as comfortable as possible. At most I would wear a polo and chinos but only if I really had to.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys in those photos dressed up but it didn't change the negative reputation of the game.

I think it's the personalities of the players that dictates the reputation of the game. Get them to stop acting like thugs and you might have something. But good luck with that.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm already used to this. We have to wear button down shirt/dress pants/shoes for the Ginky Memorial, and also in the Megabucks Pool League playoffs. During the most recent playoffs, A lot of people on the live stream provided positive feedback about how professional we looked.

In short, yes. I agree with this. All the time, no.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in all tournaments with the top end players playing they should dress nice it may help the image of the pro pool player

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Oh, not this lame argument about folks dress is the cause of pool problems or that if we dressed nicer, it might help.

Folks fly on airplanes in shorts and sandals. Folks go to nice restaurants wearing a ball cap, jeans and a t-shirt, and many folks won't even put on a tie or even a suit jacket for a funeral, and we want them to "gussy" up to shoot a few racks :eek::eek:

Folks pay $5 at work for the opportunity to wear jeans to work instead of dress clothes, usually about twice a month. The money goes to local charity. And almost everyone does it. 4K employees in our building. Friday is always casual day, no charge.

C'mon guys, we need better ideas than this for pool. Society is on "causal day" now, it might change again some day, but that's the way it is now, whether you agree with it or not.

And no, I will continue to wear jeans, cap and t-shirt to shoot pool, it's a sport, NOT a wedding ;)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
You're...

delusional.jpeg

if you think the way people dress forms the opinion of billiards.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, not this lame argument about folks dress is the cause of pool problems or that if we dressed nicer, it might help.

Folks fly on airplanes in shorts and sandals. Folks go to nice restaurants wearing a ball cap, jeans and a t-shirt, and many folks won't even put on a tie or even a suit jacket for a funeral, and we want them to "gussy" up to shoot a few racks :eek::eek:

Folks pay $5 at work for the opportunity to wear jeans to work instead of dress clothes, usually about twice a month. The money goes to local charity. And almost everyone does it. 4K employees in our building. Friday is always casual day, no charge.

C'mon guys, we need better ideas than this for pool. Society is on "causal day" now, it might change again some day, but that's the way it is now, whether you agree with it or not.

And no, I will continue to wear jeans, cap and t-shirt to shoot pool, it's a sport, NOT a wedding ;)

Bonus Ball might have been on to something with team jerseys. Something like standardized apparel for pool couldn't hurt. We just have to figure out what exactly that is. Wearing something that looks like a football or hockey jersey definitely isn't it.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would, but not sure if it would help much. I think the silver bullet that fixes pool is still a mystery.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
When you go to your local pool hall, or any pool hall, would you be willing to dress up like they used to in the old days? If it would raise the stature of billiards in the public's eye and help the game, would you do it? Hell, it might even bring women back to pool halls.

pool-hall-1913-s.jpg

Local20Pool20Hall20-20Interior-1.jpg

40fb163f-7cf7-43ec-92fe-daa8c65c6283.jpg

Web.Rags.HoFamers2.jpg

-
I most certainly sure would, in a heart beat!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the old pictures but it's a different world completely now. Take a look at the bleachers in the old baseball photos. Men in ties and fedoras. Heck, my grandfather mowed the lawn in a white shirt and tie.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Funny part about these photos is that's how everyone dressed to do everything 100 years ago... they dressed like that to take the trash out.

Exactly. That was back when Ward was a little too hard on the Beaver last night, according to June Cleavor ;)

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year, at the SD State 8 Ball tournament. A former Champion showed up for the early rounds wearing a tuxedo to play a match against a home town guy. He stepped away from a wedding to run a couple racks and then left.

I dressed up a couple times for Sunday morning team matches. One was a tournament that we easily won. I even ended up on the front page of the sports section in two pictures, so I guess it was a good thing I upgraded my clothes.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I think the only thing worse than a pool player in his regular clothes is a pool player attempting to "dress up".

YIKES.

Also dress code is probably the last thing on the priority list if you're worried about fixing the sad state of pool in this country.

Any uneducated, crass, crooked douchebag can go out and buy a suit. At the end of the day they are still going to act like an idiot.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dress shirt and slacks is one thing but a tux or suit and tie is another. I don't think looking like a four star waiter, lawyer, or politician is the answer to the problem.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
To us it looks like they are dressed "nicer." But the people in those pictures could certainly tell you which ones were dressed nicely...and which were dressed like bums. It's all relative to the standards of the time.

And they were much more prejudiced about "clothes make the man" than we are.