8 foot vs 8 foot pro table

moneymm22

Registered
designing my home pool table room. def more for casual use and fun.

is there a big different between the 2 sizes? 44x88 and 46x92

i def dont want to outgrow the regular 8' table and wish i went with the bigger table.

the the 8' pro tables rarer and hard to find to buy?

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody is different here and I'm sure I'll be in the minority. But for me there are two size tables: a 9 footer and not a 9 footer. Having said that, if I couldn't saw off cues or do whatever necessary to accommodate a 9 foot table I'd probably go with a 7 footer and call it done. Much more commonly found in use by enthusiasts.

I'm sure others will give you a more practical answer.

moneymm22

Registered
Everybody is different here and I'm sure I'll be in the minority. But for me there are two size tables: a 9 footer and not a 9 footer. Having said that, if I couldn't saw off cues or do whatever necessary to accommodate a 9 foot table I'd probably go with a 7 footer and call it done. Much more commonly found in use by enthusiasts.

I'm sure others will give you a more practical answer.

so you would rather use a shorter cue on some of the shots on a 9' table, then never be restricted in backstroke with an 8' table?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oversize 8ft's are hard to come by. If there's no way possible I could do a 9ft, I would go for that option if available. If not, then will I go 8ft.

I would be miserable shooting on a 7ft for any extended length of time, but that is just me.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so you would rather use a shorter cue on some of the shots on a 9' table, then never be restricted in backstroke with an 8' table?

Absolutely, I sure would.

Just how I feel though, others will see it the other way.

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pro 8 at home. I've looked to go to a 9, but doesn't fit. I still have to be careful on some side shops. (have a short cue if needed). Mine is a tight GC3 with extended rails with Simonis cloth.
I play most always on 9 footers. No major problems going between 9 and my pro 8.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally...get the biggest table you can given the space you have.

I know some are ok with a short stick and there are some that are appropriately balanced, but I'd want to avoid the short stick.

And remember, it is like buying a piano: do it once/ do it right. Be patient and make a good choice for you.

moneymm22

Registered
Generally...get the biggest table you can given the space you have.

I know some are ok with a short stick and there are some that are appropriately balanced, but I'd want to avoid the short stick.

And remember, it is like buying a piano: do it once/ do it right. Be patient and make a good choice for you.

thanks, yea, i have a good size room, it just has a column in the way and 2 outside corner walls..

Here is my room with a 50x100 playing surface, and the circles are 58" representing any shot taken...

option one clearly looks alil odd when you walk in the room, almost all the shots have a full 58".

option 2 looks better, except one side of the table has all 58" shots (only) and the column takes away any balls that are in the corner and you need to shoot parrellel to the table..

what would you do?

go smaller with the 8 footer, or go with the 9 option 1, or option 2.

Attachments

• 9foottableoption1.jpg
    9foottableoption1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 594
  • 9foottableoption2.jpg
    9foottableoption2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 595

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks, yea, i have a good size room, it just has a column in the way and 2 outside corner walls..

Here is my room with a 50x100 playing surface, and the circles are 58" representing any shot taken...

option one clearly looks alil odd when you walk in the room, almost all the shots have a full 58".

option 2 looks better, except one side of the table has all 58" shots (only) and the column takes away any balls that are in the corner and you need to shoot parrellel to the table..

what would you do?

go smaller with the 8 footer, or go with the 9 option 1, or option 2.

According to your drawing you have no chance with the 9 footer -
You might have a chance with a regular 8 footer if you twist it -
A 58 inch shot with a 58 inch cue leaves you no stroking room -

bill

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call an engineer or architect and find out how to safely ditch the column. Not only will it allow the table size you want, it will add value to the home by creating an open space.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money
redraw your print using using 64 inch shot -
you need 6 inch stroke minimum -

bill

moneymm22

Registered
Money
redraw your print using using 64 inch shot -
you need 6 inch stroke minimum -

bill

i know ideally you would have 64" or even 100", but realistically, you never have your cue 90 parrelle to the table, and a few degree angle buys you a few extra inches.

everywhere online said 58" or 60, never saw 64....

with 64 clearance, i wouldnt be able to get an 8 footer in their with regular 58" cues.

moneymm22

Registered
Call an engineer or architect and find out how to safely ditch the column. Not only will it allow the table size you want, it will add value to the home by creating an open space.

yea good call, i think its not gonna be in the budget, already doing a ton other work im over budget on.

I am going to get it priced out though for sure. then i would have a full 20' x 15'10" room with a 2 foot bump out as well.

im just not getting my hopes up, b/c i know its not gonna be in the budget.

moneymm22

Registered
Unless you're a top tier pro, no one is outgrowing any version of an 8' table:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

yea im far from it. was good but havent played in a long time. i have been wanting another table for 12 years.

want to do it right, want it to look great, but I also dont want a table that doesnt play for everyone b/c its too big for beginners.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know ideally you would have 64" or even 100", but realistically, you never have your cue 90 parrelle to the table, and a few degree angle buys you a few extra inches.

everywhere online said 58" or 60, never saw 64....

with 64 clearance, i wouldnt be able to get an 8 footer in their with regular 58" cues.

I have a 9 footer set up and the closest point ball to a wall is 64 3/4 -
my cue is 58 1/2 and have occasionally touched the wall during a shot -

bill

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with the over sized 8' table. It's a great table to play and practice on. From your drawing it looks like only one corner of the column is really an obstruction. You may be able to cut a foot or two off that column and your problem is solved.