4 man round robin help

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know in 3c billiards often there are round robin formats
i am thinking of having a 4 man round robin with the top 2 playing for the prize
how would you determine winners if there are ties in wins and losses?
and is there a better way to determine the finalists besides win and losses?
thanks for any help

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know in 3c billiards often there are round robin formats
i am thinking of having a 4 man round robin with the top 2 playing for the prize
how would you determine winners if there are ties in wins and losses?
and is there a better way to determine the finalists besides win and losses?
thanks for any help

WL records. If two are tied, look at. the match between them. If three are tied, you have to look at total points then total points against.

In some round robins, ties are determined by per-inning averages but there are a lot of problems with that.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WL records. If two are tied, look at. the match between them. If three are tied, you have to look at total points then total points against.

In some round robins, ties are determined by per-inning averages but there are a lot of problems with that.

thanks bob

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks bob

I forgot the most important part. You need to write the position deciding procedure down, make sure everyone sees it and post a copy. You also need a final decider in case nothing else works. That could be most points from a break shot with the players shooting in random order, and that shootout will be repeated as many times as needed to resolve significant ties.

Note that you can only have three or more players tied since if two players are tied, the match between them decides. It is very unlikely that three players will be totally tied, but Murphy's Law applies.