Shaft taper

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Gents,
Would any of you happen to have any basic information, regarding Paul Dayton's shaft taper? Was it close to a Pro, Extended Pro, Modified Extended Pro, or Conical taper?
Thank you all sincerely in advance.
Best regards. :cool:
Joe P.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Gents,
Would any of you happen to have any basic information, regarding Paul Dayton's shaft taper? Was it close to a Pro, Extended Pro, Modified Extended Pro, or Conical taper?
Joe P.

Redirected my thoughts on this, out of respect for Paul. :cool: Would just like some general information, or thoughts. If anyone could/would care to compare his taper to anything readily available today, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
j2

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
All I remember is I liked the playability of the two I had, and I'm pretty sure they were pro taper.

JC

Coos Cues
Hello Gents,
Joe P.

I have found all those "names" for tapers seem to mean little. I have a cue that I really liked the taper on the shaft made by Jack Madden.

So when I started making cues I measured it inch by inch and copied it. Not sure what you would call it other than I like it. Oddly many other don't. Thank you Jack. I still love my Madden cue and play with it frequently.

Get a hold of a Dayton and measure it is my advice.

No doubt I'm going to take heat for this honesty.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have found all those "names" for tapers seem to mean little. I have a cue that I really liked the taper on the shaft made by Jack Madden.

So when I started making cues I measured it inch by inch and copied it. Not sure what you would call it other than I like it. Oddly many other don't. Thank you Jack. I still love my Madden cue and play with it frequently.

Get a hold of a Dayton and measure it is my advice.

No doubt I'm going to take heat for this honesty.

Thank you for your post JC.
I honestly have no intention of copying, or having anyone else copy Paul's taper. It was just a passing thought. I have always heard very good things about the playability of Paul's cues, in particular his shaft taper, so I wondered if anyone had any insight, into just what made his cues/shafts so regarded. IF I were to buy a Dayton, I would play with it. Currently I have a custom that I really enjoy, and another, in progress. :cool:
Best regards.
Joe P

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thank you for your post JC.
I honestly have no intention of copying, or having anyone else copy Paul's taper. It was just a passing thought. I have always heard very good things about the playability of Paul's cues, in particular his shaft taper, so I wondered if anyone had any insight, into just what made his cues/shafts so regarded. IF I were to buy a Dayton, I would play with it. Currently I have a custom that I really enjoy, and another, in progress. :cool:
Best regards.
Joe P

Shaft taper is only one of the equations in the shafts' playing characteristics .
Some shafts would be whippy or soft with a 1.25mm taper to the middle .
Good shaft woods would be stiff to semi-stiff with that kind of taper .

I have some nice looking shafts here that I will never use. They are straight and white but are just too light and soft .

Imo, conventional kiln is better than vacuum kilned but that's a can of worms .:D

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shafts

The hit on Paul's cues could be considered on the stiff side due to lots of things I rather not get into.

Mario