EMILY DUDDY Professional

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, there are two female players that I see in league here that play about "even" with some of the "mid-level" men in their league.

Both of them are rather "butchish", dress "masculine", and act "masculine", but do not portray themselves as men. In each of their cases, they tend to "overdo" their "strokes" in what, I think, is the "attempt" to play "manly" pool. They try to be "power" players, but do not possess the "stroke" in order to be a power player.

Both of them have pretty good fundamentals, but they both act "cocky" and they both have "hot" tempers when they screw up.

If they would "settle down" and try to learn their "own style" of playing, instead of trying to "imitate" a man, I think they would do better.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
FWIW, there are two female players that I see in league here that play about "even" with some of the "mid-level" men in their league.

Both of them are rather "butchish", dress "masculine", and act "masculine", but do not portray themselves as men. In each of their cases, they tend to "overdo" their "strokes" in what, I think, is the "attempt" to play "manly" pool. They try to be "power" players, but do not possess the "stroke" in order to be a power player.

Both of them have pretty good fundamentals, but they both act "cocky" and they both have "hot" tempers when they screw up.

If they would "settle down" and try to learn their "own style" of playing, instead of trying to "imitate" a man, I think they would do better.

I think you should totally just walk up to them and offer that advice! Lol.. :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should totally just walk up to them and offer that advice! Lol.. :)

Just last Sunday, I told one of them that she'd do better if she "quit jacking her stick off so much". She was "bicycle" pumping it like Bustamante and trying to get all "flashy".

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did she say?

I can't remember.

I don't recall her saying anything back, but she gave me a look that said "she knew she was overdoing it".

This particular one sometimes sits and watches me play, so she knows that I know what I'm talking about.

The other one is more of a "know it all" type and I'm not sure she would listen even if you told her something. Her "wife" is kind of the same way.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I can't remember.

I don't recall her saying anything back, but she gave me a look that said "she knew she was overdoing it".

This particular one sometimes sits and watches me play, so she knows that I know what I'm talking about.

The other one is more of a "know it all" type and I'm not sure she would listen even if you told her something. Her "wife" is kind of the same way.

So....sore ass or no?

Fisting is a thing.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember.

Lmao to your last sentence!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I can't remember.

Could still be Jen B lol

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Is this something new, is it entertainment ? Lord thank you so much for letting me live in a hick Alaskan town.

In many ways it is a mans world, but no one gave it to us, we took it. Feel free to take as much of it as you want back ladies, grab your fair share..

I refuse to apologize for being what I am, a man.

I think I will go outside and look for a stick to whittle on.

Last edited:

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread has been, at times, disturbing. It should not be about Emily's speed as a player. She's not Jean Balukas or Siming Chen, both of whom were inclined and skilled enough to put fear into some of the truly elite men professionals. Yes, we all know the top men would very easily beat Emily, but so what?

Emily is one of the best American woman players, and that's not a matter of opinion. Emily has some top ten finishes in top level WPBA competition, including a 7th place finish in the Women's US Open. For those who've suggested that's not pro speed, you are uninformed and mistaken.

Emily Duddy is also a fine representative for our sport, generally cheerful, always well dressed, engagingly outgoing, and very supportive of her fellow pros, men and women alike. Our sport could do with a few more just like Emily.

Everyone has a right to like or dislike this show and to agree or disagree with its premise, conclusions and message, but this show placed pool on mainstream TV, and it made pool look cool and fun. Some ladies who watched will be intrigued about pool because of this, and some men may suddenly see the poolroom as a place to meet ladies as lovely as Emily Duddy and Jennifer Barretta. Time will tell.

For now, though, let's celebrate the attention that this show has brought to our sport.
There is nothing "pro" about her game. At all. That isn't a matter of opinion. Its there for all to see and there is nothing wrong with calling it out for what it is.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you, Scratch85...and all the hater posts are sad, but unfortunately expected. It's tv entertainment people...and it's all about pool! Of course it was completely scripted...just like any other tv show. Like SJM and you, I found it entertaining, and I know all the characters too. I don't know if this series is a one-only appearance or not, but I hope not. Congratulations Emily Duddy! :grin:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I’m all for Emily having her day. I, like most of the world, had no idea who Emily was before the Hustlers tv show. Even then, AZB wanted to make sure Emily, along with some others on the show, weren’t given credit for a better game than they actually have. I’m not sure why any of us care how they portray their pool playing abilities. Pretty sure overstating your abilities is more common than understating.

Emily has found her way to a modest tv career and modestly known as a vixen of the female pro pool world. I can’t even find a backer for a $20 set at my local hall! I’m all for her success and hope anything pool related continues to make its way to the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a deep bow for this post. Let the game bring us together indeed.

hey stu, thanks for the shout
I always appreciate your posts
so it's nice to know we share a shovel here

I really think there's something to be gained from emily's ep
a message worth more than what her fargo is
and that's what's so cool about pool
cloth-covered slate isn't just for banging balls around
it's a beautiful venue for us to come together
to share not just in the joy and pain of the game
but also the joy and pain we all face in life

we all have so much in common
much more than what separates us
we should try to help each other
build each other up
not break each other down
and I'm guilty of it
but I want to be better
a rising tide lifts all boats
or a tight rack makes for a good spread
or a clean cloth keeps our shirts cleaner
or...somebody help me out here:thumbup:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing "pro" about her game. At all. That isn't a matter of opinion. Its there for all to see and there is nothing wrong with calling it out for what it is.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nothing about her game deserves attention. It degrades the female player's who play great to reduce them to her level.

The whole she mops the floor with male non pros is a fallacy. She can go to any pool hall and call out the better amateurs and get played. So why doesn't she?

I had Earl at my room and had a line of guys wanting to try him for $20 a rack. Jeanette Lee came through town many times and played all our local bests. She did well, but didn't run over everyone.

Duddy is a highly trained A player, nothing more.

There's hundreds of player's more deserving of attention.

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Page 6 of this thread so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Jen
J. Berreta 2010-12-15 at 6.47.40 PM.jpg

Emily
emily.jpg

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emily playing on a bar table?

I liked the episode and think she's great, even if she's only a well trained A player.

What's Finnegan's Fargo rating?

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two separate issues of the show, to my mind, were how women are treated differently than equal men... they are, of course, and the differences in skill level to be considered “pro” level.
Obviously the show was JUST about treatment, but the issue of skill level is inevitable when this sort of thing comes up.
Was she mistreated? Of course, but the character who taunted her would very likely have done the same
To a man if he could get in his head as obviously as he got into hers.

Skill level.... it needs to be one of two approaches, either top flight or pro comparable to the men, or noted that it is only in a “lower” category of players.

So for the ladies.... “I am a pro pool player” should be “I am a pro pool player in WPBA”
Unless, of course she has the chops that Jean B had, and proved, by playing with the men.

As for the “disguise “ it was awesome! She failed miserably to carry it off, but a fine and entertaining attempt.
Nobody would believe she was a man, or at least “manly”.... Jennifer should have introduced Alex as her cousin the hairdresser and it would have solved the effeminate issue and maybe been believed. If it wasn’t scripted, it would not have been convincing enough.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Nothing about her game deserves attention. It degrades the female player's who play great to reduce them to her level.

The whole she mops the floor with male non pros is a fallacy. She can go to any pool hall and call out the better amateurs and get played. So why doesn't she?

I had Earl at my room and had a line of guys wanting to try him for $20 a rack. Jeanette Lee came through town many times and played all our local bests. She did well, but didn't run over everyone.

Duddy is a highly trained A player, nothing more.

There's hundreds of player's more deserving of attention.

In NYC, more likely a good "C". Seriously.