Mr 600

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there be extreme pressure on him to win this event? No. Until JS won a Dragon event, the "Mr. 400" moniker appeared to weigh heavily on him, but since winning that title, it's all gravy.

Will he be given a rock star reception ? No. Straight pool fans wouldn't see that as fair to real rock stars, like Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.

Will the players be asking about the "video"? No, the players will be asking about the bartender. For the fans, the answer is again No, as straight pool fans measure time in decades. There's no such thing as time-to-market in straight pool.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Will there be extreme pressure on him to win this event? No. Until JS won a Dragon event, the "Mr. 400" moniker appeared to weigh heavily on him, but since winning that title, it's all gravy.

Will he be given a rock star reception ? No. Straight pool fans wouldn't see that as fair to real rock stars, like Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.

Will the players be asking about the "video"? No, the players will be asking about the bartender. For the fans, the answer is again No, as straight pool fans measure time in decades. There's no such thing as time-to-market in straight pool.
An excellent and thought provoking analysis.

John should consider a VHS edition.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Wow, this post is a little hard to fathom.

Even at his best, there were at least twenty five guys who played the patterns better than Danny. He made up for it by shooting unbelievably straight even by pro standards. Danny was a rare talent indeed, with some of the better fundamentals any of us have ever seen. Danny reminded me a bit of Johnny Archer, who ran balls like the wind without playing textbook straight pool, and managed to recover from pattern play errors with phenomenally accurate shooting.

Danny has every right to be counted among the straight pool greats of this generation, but if you think he played the cleanest straight pool relative to his contemporaries, you are mistaken. Yes, I look forward to hearing from Danny that I can't make a ball in the ocean and that I don't know what I'm talking about, and he'll be badly mistaken. No doubt, I'll be deemed a spreader of fake news, and a participant in a worldwide conspiracy to hide the truth, and I'm fine wit that.

John Schmidt is a much, much better pattern player than Danny ever was. and John's short position play is as good as I've ever seen. To clarify, that means better than guys like Mizerak and Sigel. If John doesn't impress you, nobody will.

As for your attempt to make excuses for Danny, the rolls really have no relevance. To paraphrase Irving Crane [over a pool lifetime, you get half the rolls]. I've watched hours and hours and hours of Danny playing 14.1, and don't recall him getting any more or any less than his share of luck relative to his opponents.

Best post in the thread, hands down. Well played Sir.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, this post is a little hard to fathom.

Even at his best, there were at least twenty five guys who played the patterns better than Danny. He made up for it by shooting unbelievably straight even by pro standards. Danny was a rare talent indeed, with some of the better fundamentals any of us have ever seen. Danny reminded me a bit of Johnny Archer, who ran balls like the wind without playing textbook straight pool, and managed to recover from pattern play errors with phenomenally accurate shooting.

Danny has every right to be counted among the straight pool greats of this generation, but if you think he played the cleanest straight pool relative to his contemporaries, you are mistaken. Yes, I look forward to hearing from Danny that I can't make a ball in the ocean and that I don't know what I'm talking about, and he'll be badly mistaken. No doubt, I'll be deemed a spreader of fake news, and a participant in a worldwide conspiracy to hide the truth, and I'm fine wit that.

John Schmidt is a much, much better pattern player than Danny ever was. and John's short position play is as good as I've ever seen. To clarify, that means better than guys like Mizerak and Sigel. If John doesn't impress you, nobody will.

As for your attempt to make excuses for Danny, the rolls really have no relevance. To paraphrase Irving Crane [over a pool lifetime, you get half the rolls]. I've watched hours and hours and hours of Danny playing 14.1, and don't recall him getting any more or any less than his share of luck relative to his opponents.

True on all accounts.

He shot really straight. Then again, as mentioned you "have to" shoot straight when you play "less than perfect" patterns and position while playing at that level.

Straight shooting, regardless of how straight CANNOT out run consistent position with strong patterns.....it just don't make up for it.

In the end though, he is absolutely deserving of being mentioned when talking about the "very best" at 14.1 in his time.

He's a little loony at times but, think about it Stu, how many people that are really above the norm....considered normal?

Is he at the same level? Yes, IMO...yes. But, at those levels even the smallest of difference can be devastating.

I learned that many years ago when getting in the box with Buddy Hall playing 9 ball. I felt really good about my game untill the match was over. I paid him, he smilled and said "way to grind" and walked off.

Jeff

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the audience for that 1994 Pro Tour match held in Valley Forge, PA and televised later that year. After beating Varner in a semi, Danny faced Mike Sigel in the final.

Here's the link to that exciting final:

https://youtu.be/JR-LsNhYLBI?t=5186

Danny was 21 years-old and played absolutely amazing, top-level 9-ball. Even at that early age he had a seasoned veteran's remarkable cue ball control and came within a hair of beating Mike. Check out Sigel's (and Buddy Hall's) glowing comments at the end about the precocious talent exhibited by Danny, and hear their predictions for Danny's promising future as a pro. Mike was quite fortunate to escape with a win that day.

Arnaldo

I’m really not trying to be a dick but you might consider editing your post to say spoilers ahead before you reveal the winner. I would have loved to watch that match without knowing who won.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I’m really not trying to be a dick but you might consider editing your post to say spoilers ahead before you reveal the winner. I would have loved to watch that match without knowing who won.
ROSEBUD is a sled.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Is that really what Welles is saying? Look at it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr93wwtiKQM

Echoed by the final scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? (Start at 1:06) https://youtu.be/FRP0MBNoieY?t=66

Fortunately, the real Xanadu was not disassembled and you can visit it and its billiard room. I have seen no sled there, however.

Of course the sled was symbolic of Kane's lost (or some might say regained) innocence, real or immagined.

I don't know anything about The Raiders movies. I'm saving my energy for the next conspiracy theory to be raised about Mosconi and his role in global warming.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... I'm saving my energy for the next conspiracy theory to be raised about Mosconi and his role in global warming.

You do know about his 'under the table' contract with the Hyatt ball company right? Some say the balls they produced under Mosconis direction were the straw that broke the ozones back so to speak...... :eek:uttahere:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Now just whose side are these jokers on anyway?
65481a3a6f99b4b7c214db7792f87852.jpg
58ed8f9f02df27d7257d29c6d53641df.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Mosconi endorsed a line of production cues later also. This is nothing unusual, for those just waking up.

All the best,
WW

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
ok jay

This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

I remember u sayin' u and Fatboy would give $10,000 a piece to the first person to break 526 - but ya'll reserved the right to compare the video and then fly to the room where the run was accomplished - to carefully inspect the table to see if it matched the video. Now it would seem u simply trust the bca, nytimes, and predator cues - with yer 10,000 - but yet u said u have no ties to these institutions?Sorry jay but I smell a rodent, I don't like the in-humane traps with springs and sticky tape - I prefer catch and release - far from my home - away from movie producers - that try and direct films that are not based on true story - capiche. Unlike yourself I seriously doubt Fatboy will bow down and fork over his dough without first SEEING un edited visual proof. I do understand about the Hebrews quote in reference to Faith, maybe the bca and all their collection of narcissists within the industry are telling us they want our faith - or that they are a God of pool indust'. I don't worship them - they should not try and enumerate their juvenile poultry - until the proper process of incubation has occured. Does anyone know if Predator cues paid Mosconi's family any royalties for plastering his name on one of their products (526 cue) ? I they did pay his family royalties for that and have tenderizing or planning a fake video for a while now. These fake news organizations are truly weak and I think Mosconi would call em puddle pushers' - if schmidt fouled a ball during the run the run should be considered null and void.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I remember u sayin' u and Fatboy would give $10,000 a piece to the first person to break 526 - but ya'll reserved the right to compare the video and then fly to the room where the run was accomplished - to carefully inspect the table to see if it matched the video. Now it would seem u simply trust the bca, nytimes, and predator cues - with yer 10,000 - but yet u said u have no ties to these institutions?Sorry jay but I smell a rodent, I don't like the in-humane traps with springs and sticky tape - I prefer catch and release - far from my home. Unlike yourself I seriously doubt Fatboy will bow down and fork over his dough without first SEEING un edited visual proof. I do understand about the Hebrews quote in reference to Faith, maybe the bca and all their collection of narcissists within the industry are telling us they want our faith - or that they are a God of pool indust'. I don't worship them - they should not try and enumerate their juvenile poultry - until the proper process of incubation has occured. Does anyone know if Predator cues paid Mosconi's family any royalties for plastering his name on one of their products (526 cue) ? I they did pay his family royalties for that and have tenderizing or planning a fake video for a while now.

How do you keep coming up with this nonsense that Jay and Fatboy are paying for this video? You have seriously lost your mind Flash.