How to deny mid-session spot adjustment requests?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetical Scenario:

1. Your gambling with somebody who isn't your close friend or a regular opponent.
2. Your winning the session considerably but you aren't stealing.
3. You want the guy to quit so you can leave with the cash.
4. Your opponent insists that he deserves a spot and makes a good point about how he only won X amount of games in the past X sets.

How do you turn down the request without being a total a-hole and having them throw a tantrum before leaving?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetical Scenario:

1. Your gambling with somebody who isn't your close friend or a regular opponent.
4. Your opponent insists that he deserves a spot and makes a good point about how he only won X amount of games in the past X sets.

How do you turn down the request without being a total a-hole and having them throw a tantrum before leaving?
Tell em you dont want to win a lotta money.

Tell em you're scared but will adjust and the next set is for funsies.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But srrrriously:

Tell him this is how you agreed to play this time and depending how it goes, we can consider adjustment next time.

Tell him it is one set and that isnt definitive proof of anything. If another set is a similar blowout, you'll reconsider at that point...and then let em know that you expect adjustments will be possible either way.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not understanding what you mean, can you elaborate?

Don't want to win a lot of money?

Adjust but only if we play for fun?

Some would say your request for guidance is akin to:
How can I act like a nit and not suffer consequence?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetical Scenario:

There are no guarantees when gambling and anyone can quit at any time, which many people on here will attest to, and many have expressed those feelings strongly when this topic has come up in previous posts. However, historically it is generally considered good gambling etiquette, even among strangers, that whoever is winning, unless they have set a time frame on the session they have verbalized to their opponent at the start, should continue playing (within reason) as long as their opponent wants to, as long as the game, the amount $ they are playing for, and spot (or no spot) remains the same.

If you are playing even and you are up at least a few sets or more, and the loser is requesting a spot or to change the amount of the wager (more or less), you have the option of accepting his request, negotiating a smaller spot, or rejecting his request and informing him that he can quit whenever he desires. He may not like it, but that's the way it is. You are absolutely under no obligation to have to change the terms of the original bet.

Your 3rd statement that you want the guy to quit so you can leave with the cash, comes across as nitty to me - sorry if you don't like my honest opinion. The best way to get him to quit soon and leave with the cash is to refuse to change the bet and continue to beat him as badly as you can - eventually he will give up. If you are beating an opponent and you feel you can continue to do so, your mindset should be to break him of everything he's got!

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 rules set in stone:

A- no speed records were ever set into a headwind
2: no big money was ever won by quitting winner when the loser has more money and desire to play.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What worked for me when I got a guy stuck and he wanted to adjust was to tell him first that it was a tough game for me and to build him up how close the game really was. Then I would give him one of two options. We can continue and play a set number of games before we quit (anywhere from two to four games was common) and he could raise the bet to any amount he wanted for those last games to try to get even. Or we could continue to play the same game as long as he liked.

This way the guy felt like I was giving him some choice as to what to do. Usually they would think about it and play another game or two while thinking, but not always. More often than not they would opt to play for a higher bet in an attempt to get even, after my little speech. This led to me making a bigger score than I would have before (we might have gone from ten a game to twenty a game) and sometimes I was a nice guy and allowed them to continue at the higher bet after the prescribed number of games was over. And remember, I never asked them to raise the bet. That was a choice they made.

Instead of having the guy quit on me stuck maybe thirty or forty bucks, now he lost a hundred or more. Remember, this was back in the late 60's and early 70's when a hundred dollar win was real money. I know Dean would laugh at me for being a nit, but I was a successful "scuffler" when a lot of champions were laying around broke!

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you are the type to quit winners tell them at the start you can quit whenever you like for whatever reason. then it is clear. and that is what has been agreed to.

i always even for a small amount say quit whenever you want. and that works both ways of course.

if you want to break someone and actually win something you have to adjust at least once in the game. only after you are up alot never after just a couple games as you wont get the spot back if he goes on a rush.
only adjust a small amount that doesnt mean much.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the poolroom but I do have a life outside of the poolroom. I rarely play longer than a four hour session.
I know what time I am leaving the room before I ever walk in. I let my opponent know how long we can play before we start.
Win or lose and I never bet more than I feel comfortable losing.

I hate giving weight and I don't like getting weight. I let my opponent know before hand that I prefer playing even. I always play even, even if I am playing an A+ player. Like I said, I never play for more than I can comfortably afford to lose. Sometimes I take a lesson and I do like the challenge. Every once in a while I surprise myself against a really good player.

This set up allows me to leave earlier if I am down more than I am comfortable with or leave ahead at the specified time.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NO spot adjustment mid-set... hell no.

If you're beating this guy handily playing even, offer a
weak spot for the NEXT set... the breaks or the 8.
You didn't say what game.. if it's 1P offer him a ball.

Then beat him again and he'll quit, you get more of the
cheese.

Again, NEVER adjust the game mid-set... that's nitty.

Quitting winners on a man is a little chintzy in my book.

$.02

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NO spot adjustment mid-set... hell no.

If you're beating this guy handily playing even, offer a
weak spot for the NEXT set... the breaks or the 8.
You didn't say what game.. if it's 1P offer him a ball.

Then beat him again and he'll quit, you get more of the
cheese.

Again, NEVER adjust the game mid-set... that's nitty.

Quitting winners on a man is a little chintzy in my book.

$.02
OP was referring to an adjustment mid-session, not mid-set, big difference.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would advocate for just giving him a spot if you're crushing him. You'll typically just end up winning more unless he is asking for some massive adjustment. But like, if you're beating him handily 9-7 just offer him 10-7. Or the called 8 or whatever if you're playing 9-ball. But if you really don't want to adjust and you want to keep him happy, just butter him up. "I can't let you go to 6 you shoot way too straight... you can run 6 balls with your eyes closed blah blah blah" some bs like that. But again, I would suggest just manning up and giving him a spot.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would advocate for just givie it
... But again, I would suggest just manning up and giving him a spot.

With the clear understanding that we are now adjusting every set, if necessary.

That shits more likely to end up paying the house ONLY, than scotch doubles where you flip partners.

Might as well stay home and play with yourself.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP was referring to an adjustment mid-session, not mid-set, big difference.

My bad... if I have the man beat two or three sets, and I'm beating him
handily, I might give him a small spot, nothing crazy.
You never know, he might be stalling or legit not playing very well.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off:

I'd rather quit winner than loser.

Second:

I hope to play them again without giving up the nuts.

If your very experienced with gambling in pool rooms then shouldn't have much issue. If not, well, be careful to not:

Get a rep as a NIT

show more than necessary and have to give up nuts to play again

Lastly, watch your back.

Edit:

Mid set? Not gonna happen. Terms are set before hand and win or lose they don't change until the next set........ or never.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetical Scenario:

If you're quite a bit ahead (and he's won few games) give him a little something. Maybe tell him it'll be tough and you want to raise the bet. Shouldn't be a problem.

Lou Figueroa

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the clear understanding that we are now adjusting every set, if necessary.

That shits more likely to end up paying the house ONLY, than scotch doubles where you flip partners.

Might as well stay home and play with yourself.

OMG, I cannot believe I agree with yo a55, stranger things have happened..... I think.