Never Assume,,,,,,,

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is just a reminder for all of you guys who work with machine tools to never underestimate safety. I've worked with machine tools since 1974,,,,over 39 years and counting, and have never had anything close to a major safety issue,,,,,,until this past Wednesday night. I got home at around midnite after my regular (2nd) shift as a CNC Programmer and decided to go out in my shop and work a while on a cue I have in progress. The cue is almost done, just a few minutes of final sanding before I put the sealer on, and so after just a couple of minutes of sanding I reached over to hit the power off switch, but somehow reached right past, and below the switch, and crammed 2 fingers directly into the pulleys on the end of the headstock. DAMN!!!!!!

I tore the entire nail, and a sizeable hunk from the end of my middle finger, and, broke my ring finger just below the 1st joint, as well as cutting about 80% through the finger. About 5/8-3/4 inch of my ring finger was almost severed, and laying at about a 30 degree angle from where it should have been. After several hours in the emergency room they stitched the end of my ring finger back somewhat in position, bandaged me all up and sent me home. Friday morning I go to the Orthopedic surgeon and after all is said and done the middle finger will hopefully be ok with some skin grafts and time, and the ring finger still has feeling in the almost severed end, and so after alot of very painful pulling and repositioning, it's currently forced and held in position by splints and bandaging that feels way too tight,,,,,but they think it MAY grow back together and be somewhat useable,,,,,,,time will tell.

Now the point,,,,,,this is not for simpathy at all,,,,,,I would just like to make everyone aware that you can never take too many precautions. There is always the obvious danger of getting hurt on the business side of machining where you are making the cuts and such, and hopefully we can all keep our hands and extremities away from danger while performing these operations,,,,,,,here I want to remind and urge people to take a second look at your machinery and setups and and be sure that exposed, moving parts, drive trains, etc,,,are covered with guards to prevent mishaps.

I have since fashioned a guard to cover my pulleys on my Taig lathe so as to prevent hands from access,,,,,,,,it's very simple, the corner of a cardboard box and duct tape (best I could do with one hand), but I will probably make one from sheet metal that is quicky removable and easily repositioned as soon as I can.

So the point is,,,,,,,,,be careful. I just got the most severe injury I've ever had in over 39 years of machining, on the lowest priced, and probably the least powerful machine tool I've ever used, and not even in the work envelope of the machine. Guards and safety take a little time to employ,,,,but no where near the hassle and pain of hospital and Dr. office visits. Be Careful fellas, it's worth the effort!

Here are a couple of pics of my new makeshift guard on my headstock pulleys, until I get a chance to make something better out of Sheet metal, but even so, not much chance of an accident with exposed pulleys now.
Headstock 001.jpg

Headstock 002.jpg
I sincerely hope this helps someone,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Renegade

I am so sorry to hear about this - I know, you don't want sympathy, but still I have to think "there but for the grace of God, Allah, Buddha (pick your own Divine Authority) go I - at least for the time being"

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Gary

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting and sad to hear of your plight.
I view the controller and switch on top of ahead stock as a system failure.I call it that as it is too easy to become complacent and then inadvertently get your fingers to where there may be harm.
I have the on off switch and speed controller as a pendant that can be placed at a convenient place to get to, that is away from anything rotating or travelling.

It is also nice to be able to have guards where ever possible as well.
It does not always need to be substantial, just enough to prevent an accidental movement into harms way. Belts chains/sprockets can create really nasty injuries.

Thanks again for the info provided and the initial fix.
Neil

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting and sad to hear of your plight.
I view the controller and switch on top of ahead stock as a system failure.I call it that as it is too easy to become complacent and then inadvertently get your fingers to where there may be harm.
I have the on off switch and speed controller as a pendant that can be placed at a convenient place to get to, that is away from anything rotating or travelling.

It is also nice to be able to have guards where ever possible as well.
It does not always need to be substantial, just enough to prevent an accidental movement into harms way. Belts chains/sprockets can create really nasty injuries.

Thanks again for the info provided and the initial fix.
Neil

Thanks Neil,,,and very good points about control placement. I used to have the control box free standing, but it kept pulling the wiring out so I attached it to the headstock, which solved that problem, and obviously knowing it was close to the pulleys, I felt that "I" would never do anything as dumb as sticking my hand down there. Big Mistake!

If there is a chance, any chance, of getting hands and fingers to it, it's worth the time to protect yourself.

I just hope this thread will get people to take the extra precautions to try and eliminate as many possibilities of injury as possible.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Another service medal?
Two trips to the ER myself.
Got rid of the dangerous pre OSHA lathe.
My lathe mentor fed his left hand to his table saw once.
Lost part of one finger and nearly his hand.
Saw his hand get slammed by the lathe's cover once.
He was so embarrassed he ignored the pain.

Sorry for your pain bud, thanks for the heads up.
Here's mine, don't use a 900 series Logan for your main lathe
unless you plan on hooking up a vfd.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another service medal?
Two trips to the ER myself.
Got rid of the dangerous pre OSHA lathe.
My lathe mentor fed his left hand to his table saw once.
Lost part of one finger and nearly his hand.
Saw his hand get slammed by the lathe's cover once.
He was so embarrassed he ignored the pain.

Sorry for your pain bud, thanks for the heads up.
Here's mine, don't use a 900 series Logan for your main lathe
unless you plan on hooking up a vfd.

LOL, thanks Joey

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job

Renegade for a card board box and duck tape you did a very nice job there.
I would like to know who made your lathe, Hope your doing well Glad to hear you did not lose the intire middle finger, Never know when you will need it , LOL

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your post made me pause to consider ways I could make my machinery safer. Thank you,
~Beau

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Glad it wasn't worse. I hope the outcome is as good as possible. It's going to be a while as I am sure you know.

Exposed moving parts are scary. It can't be completely avoided within the work envelope, but certainly outside it.

When I was a kid I was working on a self-propelled mower. I was always fixing up old mowers. I pulled a bonehead maneuver and got my finger caught between a chain and sprocket on that thing. The tip of one of the sprocket teeth pocked straight down through my fingernail. If that thing had actually started I would have probably lost alt least that finger. As it stands I got away with a lot of pain and after healing not a single mark on me. Very lucky.

After that one my dad said "So you want to be a surgeon?"

When my dad decided to go to med school he gave up tinkering with cars and stuff. I couldn't give it up, but I always work with gloves.

There isn't a cue in the world that is worth one of your fingers. Take care of yourselves guys. :)

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can get away with the pendant as I am using the VFD drives. The control voltages are only small and no high voltage or high current is going through the wires.

maidenfreak

Maidenfreak2009
Silver Member
Thanks for posting Renegade, sorry to hear of the mishap. I am a couple days away from re-designing the shop and reading this has given me some good ideas to improve the setup. Hope you are back turning and burning soon.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hey Renagade,

Your actions in installing the guard shows you understand root cause, corrective actions and lessons learned is the pro active approach taken by professionals.

Hope your on the mend and back to task soon.

Rick

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renegade for a card board box and duck tape you did a very nice job there.
I would like to know who made your lathe, Hope your doing well Glad to hear you did not lose the intire middle finger, Never know when you will need it , LOL

Hi, the lathe is one of Bassel's. I mounted the table extension on the headstock end permanently for a larger work envelope and added a full 32" gear rack so I can turn a full length Butt. Thanks.

Your post made me pause to consider ways I could make my machinery safer. Thank you,
~Beau

Great, if it helps just one person be safer then it served it's purpose.

Wow. Glad it wasn't worse. I hope the outcome is as good as possible. It's going to be a while as I am sure you know.

Exposed moving parts are scary. It can't be completely avoided within the work envelope, but certainly outside it.

When I was a kid I was working on a self-propelled mower. I was always fixing up old mowers. I pulled a bonehead maneuver and got my finger caught between a chain and sprocket on that thing. The tip of one of the sprocket teeth pocked straight down through my fingernail. If that thing had actually started I would have probably lost alt least that finger. As it stands I got away with a lot of pain and after healing not a single mark on me. Very lucky.

After that one my dad said "So you want to be a surgeon?"

When my dad decided to go to med school he gave up tinkering with cars and stuff. I couldn't give it up, but I always work with gloves.

There isn't a cue in the world that is worth one of your fingers. Take care of yourselves guys. :)

Thanks Doc,,,

I can get away with the pendant as I am using the VFD drives. The control voltages are only small and no high voltage or high current is going through the wires.

I want to update to that drive,,,,,,,,one day.

Thanks for posting Renegade, sorry to hear of the mishap. I am a couple days away from re-designing the shop and reading this has given me some good ideas to improve the setup. Hope you are back turning and burning soon.

Thanks, it's so easy to take this stuff for granted, yet worth a little effort to protect yourself,,,,,,,a little can make a lot of difference.

Hey Renagade,

Your actions in installing the guard shows you understand root cause, corrective actions and lessons learned is the pro active approach taken by professionals.

Hope your on the mend and back to task soon.

Rick

Ah,,,,,,the old Root Cause Analysis Theory huh,,,,,,LOL. Yea, damn shame I didn't take precautions further, and sooner, but it could have been alot worse.

Thank all of you for your kind words,,,,,,,and please be careful,,,,,,,you are the guys I watch and learn from.

It's back to the OP Surgeon this morning for Xrays,,,,,they will either leave it set as is, re-break it and re-set it, or, if it's not growing back, remove the severed part,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wish me luck guys, and please, Be Careful.

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Renegade
Sorry too here the bad news, and thanks for reminding everyone safety should be the first step in any procedure. Hope for a speedy recovery. Frank

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OUch! Good luck with the doctors. I can't work that late, I'm usually sleeping one minute awake the next, good thing the sofa has no moving parts.

Mario

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renegade
Sorry too here the bad news, and thanks for reminding everyone safety should be the first step in any procedure. Hope for a speedy recovery. Frank

Thank you,,,,,,,,I hope it helps prevent someone else from getting hurt.

OUch! Good luck with the doctors. I can't work that late, I'm usually sleeping one minute awake the next, good thing the sofa has no moving parts.

Mario

Lol, it's my normal routine. I work 2nd shift and then usually work in my shop when I get home for a couples of hours.

Just as an update, they did reset the broken finger today,,,,,,,hurt like a *****, and the Surgeon said he didn't like the color so much on the reattached end,,,,,,going back Friday for more X-rays and see if the color improves.

Thanks for all of your kind words fellas,,,,,,it means alot.